Why wasn't Granlund traded?

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Granlund is your classic space filler on a rebuilding team. He is a poor man's Jan Bulis.

I'm sure the Canucks might have gotten a 2nd rounder if they jettisoned him when he had his "good" year but I suspect we could only garner a similar player in return (and we already got Spooner). I'm guessing Benning didn't even bother trying to unload him. Though he should have been.

That said I can't be too cheesed at Benning because at least he saw the light with Gudbranson and got him out.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Even Del Zotto got a pick. He’s garbage but replacement level players can get traded for late round picks.

Dmen have more value because they drop like flies in playoffs.

I also think Granlund is a tweener who doesn't fit w top 6 but isn't an ideal bottom 6 player either.

Hes probably worth a 6th or 7th but at the draft...not at TDL where theres only playoff teams looking to buy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It should be noted that Jan Bulis was signed for "free" via free agency (only given a one year contract).

It should also be noted that Granlund was acquired for Shinkaruk before Shinkaruk was worth "pennies."

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
This player is making a million and half and should never be re-signed for anything like that in the off season. So why not dump him at the trade deadline (or at any other time for that matter) and get whatever drafts or whatever you could from any team looking for some depth. Retain as much salary as you need to make the effort to get at least something for this player

As it is, he is not helping the team and is more in the way of developing some prospects than anything else.

Just one more example of bad asset management IMO.

You hope against hope that they don't actually re-sign Granlund but you have the fear they will (and probably give him a raise in the process). Given the debacle surrounding Edler and how they have backed themselves into a corner there, any thing seems possible with this group.

The only reason I can see for Granlund being kept is that management still wants to think they made this great trade getting Granlund for Shinkaruk. Fact is that we gave up garbage only to get garbage.
Why would a team give up an asset for Granlund ?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It should also be noted that Granlund was acquired for Shinkaruk before Shinkaruk was worth "pennies."
True. My point only was that these kinds of players can generally be had for free either by free agency or waivers, hence they have little if any trade value which goes to the thread subject of why Granlund wasn't dealt at the trade deadline. He wasn't dealt because the return would be so miniscule as to make it pointless. Thanks for making adding strength to my argument though (him being acquired for a bust pick which is equally worthless).

Reactions: F A N

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Would have been nice to get a pick and it should have been explored (although I’m hardly confident that it was).

That said, you can’t really be surprised when you don’t get an asset for a bad player who can’t skate.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He's valuable to us in that he legitimately gives us a good shot at tanking night in and night out. That's about it.

And he's one of those players who is a great litmus test for whether your coach is good or not—if you play said player in all situations and/or over 14 minutes of ice time, you're probably a bad coach.

Reactions: Hit the post

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Apologies for the spam.

But I would think there is a market for Granlund. Teams trade for crappy players all the time. You'd think some team would give up a 6th or 7th for him, at least on perceived reputation alone. Granlund kills penalties, can play center or wing, etc...so there's some versatility there. Not saying he's good at those things, but again, teams trade for players who aren't good at those things all the time. A contender could use him as a versatile 12/13th forward type.

Cody McLeod, Matt Hendrick, and Par Lindholm just got traded. I wouldn't say any are particularly good at anything, (and in McLeod's case, just downright a bad player). The former two probably were valued for their perceived "toughness", but I think Par Lindholm is a pretty good analogue to Granlund. Granlund is also younger and has a longer track record than Lindholm. The return there was a positive asset in Petan, which I would have been very happy with as the return on a Granlund trade (and happens to fill Benning's "age gap" strategy!).

I just don't think Benning is actively trying to maximize his assets, or wasn't looking to sell Granlund anyway.

It's not a huge deal in the scheme of things, but it's another example of not trying to extract the most value from what you have.
This is a way too reasonable response and contributed nothing to the overall HFCanucks goal of turning every thread on here into a bash management thread.

For shame sir.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Not all of our crap players can get a return. Benning can't just break a player down into low draft picks. There has got to be a demand for the player. At least some kind of upside for them to be interested.

Granlund is a free agent at the end of the season though. He can take a league minimum salary gig as a call up or we can amicably part ways. I have a list of our current AHL players I'd rather see in his role: Gaudette (who has his role when healthy), MacEwen, Boucher, Gaunce, Jasek, Lind, Gadjovich or hell even Pyatt or Kero. Every team has a list just like that.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
This team is in love with the garbage fringe players they've brought in, the only way someone like Granlund gets moved is if a team calls them about him.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This team is in love with the garbage fringe players they've brought in, the only way someone like Granlund gets moved is if a team calls them about him.

This was what I thought about Gudbranson but they proved me wrong. So there is hope. But not much.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Weisbrod loves Granlund so we won't move him. Expect him to be resigned. I hope not but that's my belief. If we give up assets for a guy, it doesn't matter if it's not working out, we can't lose him for nothing and gotta just ride it out.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Why wasn't Granlund traded? Pretty simple. Jimbo and the Canucks couldn't have acquired a used Lada with 300,000 kilometers on it in a trade for him. I'd bet nobody was even offering a 7th rounder for him.

They'd have actually got a better return if they'd traded Pouliot. But a seventh rounder and Luke Schenn for MDZ is nothing short of a minor miracle. You're not going to get lucky twice.

Reactions: ayoshi

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Lmao ... thread is going to be full of posters bashing him and saying he is garbage ( rightfully so)

But then same posters wondering why we didnt trade him.

Lol it's like saying I'm soo ugly and i playfortine all weekend....why dont I have a girlfriend ?
Worse players are traded for assets regularly. There is nothing stopping the team from retaining half his salary. The retained salary ends this summer, causing no possible issues for the Canucks' salary cap.

Granlund at ~700 000 is an adequate depth piece and should have value to a playoff team, at least as a 13th forward.

I wouldn't even mind having Granlund on this team as a 13th forward at 700 000. (That's the contract he should be making).

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
As it is, he is not helping the team and is more in the way of developing some prospects than anything else.
Let me be clear. Granlund has been very disappointing to me for awhile, for a lot of the reasons you see. He's probably the weakest, most boring, ineffectual player I've seen play this many minutes in an NHL season. Most of the time he's on the ice, I'm not sure what he's even on the ice to do. I can only hope the Canucks move on from this player, and that he might have greater success in the Eastern conference.

But what prospects is he getting in the way of? Gaudette has already played 40 games in the NHL, compared to 14 in the AHL. He's not being held back. Goldobin perhaps? But a very different style of player. Zack McEwen? If you gave McEwen Granlund's sense of positioning around the ice you would have a pretty good player, but he's not there yet. Gaunce isn't a prospect and doesn't fit Green's desired style of play whatsoever. Not sure who else you might be talking about as being held back by Granlund.
The only reason I can see for Granlund being kept is that management still wants to think they made this great trade getting Granlund for Shinkaruk. Fact is that we gave up garbage only to get garbage.
Granlund is an NHL player being asked to do too much and suffering for it. Two Canuck coaches have found great use for him. When was the last time he was healthy-scratched? Perhaps he might when the Canucks are healthy. But Shinkaruk is a horrific AHL player at this point. To equate them is erroneous to me. The Canucks have gotten 200 serviceable NHL games out of Granlund since the trade. Shinkaruk played a dozen. Still a good trade to me in what it indicates about the Canucks pro scouting abilities.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he’s a spare player that’s ideally where he sits. At $1.4 mill kind of too much for him. So to get him lower means not qualifying him.

His future is tied to what they do with Spooner.

EP, Bo, Brock, Loui, Leivo, Sven, Pearson, Beagle, Rousell, gaudette, Jake, Sutter, Motte, Goldy. That’s 14 already.

So changes are coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad