Why wasn't Granlund traded?

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This player is making a million and half and should never be re-signed for anything like that in the off season. So why not dump him at the trade deadline (or at any other time for that matter) and get whatever drafts or whatever you could from any team looking for some depth. Retain as much salary as you need to make the effort to get at least something for this player

As it is, he is not helping the team and is more in the way of developing some prospects than anything else.

Just one more example of bad asset management IMO.

You hope against hope that they don't actually re-sign Granlund but you have the fear they will (and probably give him a raise in the process). Given the debacle surrounding Edler and how they have backed themselves into a corner there, any thing seems possible with this group.

The only reason I can see for Granlund being kept is that management still wants to think they made this great trade getting Granlund for Shinkaruk. Fact is that we gave up garbage only to get garbage.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I’d bet that he’s one of those guys who just kills it in practice and can’t do shit when it’s gametime, but the coaching staff are just waiting for that day he “puts it all together”. :laugh:

Reactions: Hit the post

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
What team other than a Weisbrod team would want this player? Once the Canucks let him go I give a year tops before he's back in europe
It is an exercise in comedic despair to go through the list of players who played for the Canucks, and then immediately were out of the NHL and playing in Europe, AHL, Spengler Cup or just not playing pro at all. I am sure every team has this to some extent, but the number of Canucks free agent signings and trade pick ups who were subsquently deemed unsignable by the rest of the league seems large to me. I expect Granlund to be another such candidate.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Pretty sad proponents of Benning use the granlund trade as one of his "wins".

It's pretty pathetic how abysmal Benning has been with regards to trades. His best wins are what? Baeetschi? Leivo? Goldobin?

Not a single solid core piece acquired in 5 years for a team that is supposedly rebuilding

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He would clear waivers, I'm sure there are better depth options available for his 1.5m cap hit

because he's cack and no-one wants him probably

why trade for granlund when you can just get depth players from waivers.

Complains that Granlund isn’t capable of helping a bottom 5 team in the league and is complete garbage.

Also thinks playoff team would give up assets for him.

Unlikely that there was a market for him - and/or, Green seems to like him.

What team other than a Weisbrod team would want this player? Once the Canucks let him go I give a year tops before he's back in europe

I assume no team wants him ?

Apologies for the spam.

But I would think there is a market for Granlund. Teams trade for crappy players all the time. You'd think some team would give up a 6th or 7th for him, at least on perceived reputation alone. Granlund kills penalties, can play center or wing, etc...so there's some versatility there. Not saying he's good at those things, but again, teams trade for players who aren't good at those things all the time. A contender could use him as a versatile 12/13th forward type.

Cody McLeod, Matt Hendrick, and Par Lindholm just got traded. I wouldn't say any are particularly good at anything, (and in McLeod's case, just downright a bad player). The former two probably were valued for their perceived "toughness", but I think Par Lindholm is a pretty good analogue to Granlund. Granlund is also younger and has a longer track record than Lindholm. The return there was a positive asset in Petan, which I would have been very happy with as the return on a Granlund trade (and happens to fill Benning's "age gap" strategy!).

I just don't think Benning is actively trying to maximize his assets, or wasn't looking to sell Granlund anyway.

It's not a huge deal in the scheme of things, but it's another example of not trying to extract the most value from what you have.

The Jester

Apr 16, 2006
Vancouver
This player is making a million and half and should never be re-signed for anything like that in the off season. So why not dump him at the trade deadline (or at any other time for that matter) and get whatever drafts or whatever you could from any team looking for some depth. Retain as much salary as you need to make the effort to get at least something for this player

As it is, he is not helping the team and is more in the way of developing some prospects than anything else.

Just one more example of bad asset management IMO.

You hope against hope that they don't actually re-sign Granlund but you have the fear they will (and probably give him a raise in the process). Given the debacle surrounding Edler and how they have backed themselves into a corner there, any thing seems possible with this group.

The only reason I can see for Granlund being kept is that management still wants to think they made this great trade getting Granlund for Shinkaruk. Fact is that we gave up garbage only to get garbage.

While I think to a certain extent he wasn’t traded because his value was low and the Canucks weren’t actively trying to move him (as others have mentioned), I think the more egregious issue and the main reason he wasn’t moved is that management and coaching thinks he adds value and is actually a good nhler.

That is a player evaluation issue which has been—to say the least—downright atrocious and a regular occurrence with this management group.

member 290103

It's simple. He could contribute to the team being mediocre in the short term. Long term does not matter one iota to Benning. Nothing. He is short term only. It's frankly shocking he has not yet dealt a 1st round pick. Maybe Aqua won't permit it.

Reactions: mathonwy

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lmao ... thread is going to be full of posters bashing him and saying he is garbage ( rightfully so)

But then same posters wondering why we didnt trade him.

Lol it's like saying I'm soo ugly and i playfortine all weekend....why dont I have a girlfriend ?

Reactions: Zippgunn

member 290103

Lmao ... thread is going to be full of posters bashing him and saying he is garbage ( rightfully so)

But then same posters wondering why we didnt trade him.

Lol it's like saying I'm soo ugly and i playfortine all weekend....why dont I have a girlfriend ?

Even Del Zotto got a pick. He’s garbage but replacement level players can get traded for late round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad