Why Was Julius Honka Expansion Exempt?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
2 or more pro seasons are eligible.

I don't think that's accurate. I believe it's more than two, not two and up.

From NHL.com on Vegas: " All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

So I think the second year guys are included in exemption.

Reactions: my name is Bob

major major

Feb 18, 2013

From NHL.com on Vegas: " All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

Its two or more completed seasons, but an NHL year isn't completed until July 1st, so with the expansion draft occurring in late June, players who have two seasons of hockey still haven't technically completed year 2, and are exempt.

I honestly don't know whether Zadina is playing "pro seasons" yet or not. AHL is pro, but he's 18, so I don't know.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If you are on your elc and play 82-9 82 games for 3 years and then the expansion draft was that summer you would not be eligible for the draft. But if you played 10-10-10 games for each year on your elc you would be eligible for the draft that summer. 10 games played is the key.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
2 or more pro seasons are eligible.
Did some more digging. 1st and 2nd year professionals are exempt.

Correct me if im wrong, but this is not a professional year for lilly, as he's still 19.

2019-20 is professional year 1
2020-21 is professional year 2, so but that logic, with the ED being held that year, he should be exempt.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

You beat me too it!

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Its two or more completed seasons, but an NHL year isn't completed until July 1st, so with the expansion draft occurring in late June, players who have two seasons of hockey still haven't technically completed year 2, and are exempt.

I honestly don't know whether Zadina is playing "pro seasons" yet or not. AHL is pro, but he's 18, so I don't know.

Unless Zadina plays 10 or more NHL games this year, this will not count as a "pro season" for him. I believe the same rules apply for next year as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad