Why was Jordan Weal drafted in the 3rd round?

deano

Apr 13, 2005
In my quest to examine prolific scorers drafted in the WHL I have come upon this kid.

72gp
35g
67a
102p

playing for the Regina Pats, in his draft year, he goes 3rd round to the Kings. The Pats are not a great team by any stretch. 100 points draft year in the dub and he goes 3rd round, not much success after.

Yet a similarly sized player in RNH, with similar stats is slotted to go #1 overall. I've only ever seen clips, so I can't evaluate the qualitative factors. Can someone explain?

The two biggest points of contention were his size, and if his number were inflated by Eberle or not? Mostly it was a size issue, as most NHL teams seem to be looking for size with skill with their first couple of picks. Some players like Ennis and Skinner are promising enough to take with a fairly high pick, but it's tough to spend such a pick on a prospect that doesn't fit the archetype of a traditional NHL body.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He seems like a Matt Calvert 2.0.

Small, playing with great players in the WHL, good work ethic. Calvert has speed going for him though.

ocarina

May 23, 2009
So is Weal a fast player? Or is his skating Simon Gamache/Corey Locke? I'm reading conflicting views of this in this thread.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Weal put up 96 pts this year on a pretty crappy Regina team without any support. At least he's proven he can score without Eberle. With that being said, the Kings are pretty stacked with young talent, so he'll have tons of competition to make the big squad.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
Brandon Kozun is having a pretty good year in the AHL. And he's only 5'9. But if he's a good skater then there's a chance he could play in the NHL. Just look at Ryan Shannon

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
So is Weal a fast player? Or is his skating Simon Gamache/Corey Locke? I'm reading conflicting views of this in this thread.
Yeah, you know exactly which people have seen him play and who havent. Not that I have seen a truckload of Jordan Weal...far from. Only a quick summary of some games and a few clips, but if he's slow than I'm Santa Claus.

People said the same thing about Brandon Kozun as well. Its completely ridiculous. Kozun is fast as lightning. I think faster than Weal. It's popular around here to compare small players with the all time great Corey Locke. Of course his size is a big issue, Weal is a midget.

I think this season Jordan Weal has proved he can play without Jordan Eberle too, so we can skip that argument. He has skill. He was drafted in the 3rd round, so still pretty early. Its different than when the Kings drafted Kozun and Azevedo. They were over-agers, Weal was not. Kozun has proved he can produce at pro level, so that's a big positive already. Now its up to Jordan Weal. Only thing that is left than, is the NHL.

We'll see.

TheBakester66

Jun 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
I love this thread and I love the question, but I really loved the Aucoin and Locke comparisons.

To the Original Poster, I definitely understand your confusion, but this is something that you learn as you review prospects. I only worry about prospects from a Fantasy Hockey prospective, but even still Jordan Weal routinely looked relatively strong in comparison to many 1st rounders in his draft class based on stats alone.

I think what has failed to be said directly is that it's not as though showing the ability to score at the rate that Weal had scored at wasn't valuable. it certainly was an asset to his cause and was the main reason that he was drafted as a 3rd rounder. However, as we know from all sports, being able to excel at one level, and projecting that talent to the next level are two different things. I love the individual insight from some of the other posters as to the many reasons that people are worried about his conversion to the NHL game.

But really, the reasons why aren't relevant in this situation. There are two overlying factors that GMs look at when they are evaluating talent for an entry draft: the first is the player's absolute highest end impact. and the other is the odds of the player reaching that high end impact. This is true for any sport, not just hockey. In this case, Weal has two things working against him. He doesn't project well, meaning it's very possible that his talent looks as high at 17 as it's ever going to look in his entire career (and there are hundreds of cases of this throughout NHL history). The other issue is that while not impossible, it is much less likely that Weal does what his major junior numbers say he can do than other talented players.

Is it possible that Weal ends up being a steal for LAK? Absolutely. I look forward to seeing what he does at the higher levels. My guess is that as much as I like Weal, he will end up like a Locke or an Aucoin (or a Jeff Clement or Brandon Wood or Brad Eldred if you know baseball), as an extremely good minor league player that is just that, an extremely good minor league player (called AAAA players in baseball).

Considering what he's shown he can do at the WHL level, his signing shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, but just because they're willing to take a flyer on him, does not mean that they plan on having him on the team in 3 years. It simply means that if he does pan out, they want to be the ones getting the rewards.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Considering what he's shown he can do at the WHL level, his signing shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, but just because they're willing to take a flyer on him, does not mean that they plan on having him on the team in 3 years. It simply means that if he does pan out, they want to be the ones getting the rewards.
Holy crap Bakester, huge revelation. ;)

Though, the Kings didnt sign recent prospects Bryan Cameron and Gordie Wudrick who were putting up respectable numbers too.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Oh jeeze......

The Kings wouldn't have committed to the kid for 3 years if they didn't think he was going to be a solid player........

:facepalm:

Do you realize that just because you got an ELC doens't mean your a guarenteed NHLer? Of course you don't.

Oh my god, Weal signed a standard run of the mill ELC, hes going to be a solid NHLer, 60 point top 6 forward! :sarcasm:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
They signed him because they think he will be solid for their AHL TEAM.

Well for sure I think that Weal will be an AHL player over the next few years, but I happen to feel that he has an NHL future. I guess we'll see.

:facepalm:

Do you realize that just because you got an ELC doens't mean your a guarenteed NHLer? Of course you don't.

Oh my god, Weal signed a standard run of the mill ELC, hes going to be a solid NHLer, 60 point top 6 forward! :sarcasm:

You are just so witty. Thanks for this post.

Whatever, atleast I have actually seen the kid play live and have a pretty good judge of his talent. He has skill and wasn't just mooching of off Eberle like many people thought last season.

If the Kings think he is good enough to sign to an ELC, then they must be seeing lots of the same things that I have.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
You are just so witty. Thanks for this post.

Whatever, atleast I have actually seen the kid play live and have a pretty good judge of his talent. He has skill and wasn't just mooching of off Eberle like many people thought last season.

If the Kings think he is good enough to sign to an ELC, then they must be seeing lots of the same things that I have.

And you dodge yet again. Signing an ELC doesn't mean anything. Players who never do anything at the AHL level have signed ELCs.

Obviously he has skill, or else he wouldn't have been drafted in the first place. But what I said was echoed by plenty of others. If I would have said "Man Weal was such a steal for Los Angelas, they got a great player who'll play in the NHL one day!"

What would you have said? Something completely the opposite no doubt.

deano

Apr 13, 2005
And you dodge yet again. Signing an ELC doesn't mean anything. Players who never do anything at the AHL level have signed ELCs.

Obviously he has skill, or else he wouldn't have been drafted in the first place. But what I said was echoed by plenty of others. If I would have said "Man Weal was such a steal for Los Angelas, they got a great player who'll play in the NHL one day!"

With most players drafted, there is uncertainty whether that player can be effective making the jump. That's what development is for. There aren't that many Doughty, Stamkos, & Kane's out there. So your argument in itself is flawed, and totally biased/opinionated against Weal. You could make the same arguments against Hishon, Christian Thomas, and almost every undersized player out there. Just like every big bodies power forward prospect isn't going to pan out. You obviously have some agenda against Weal, and you are entitled to your opinion. But your argument is just that. Opinion, rooted in nothing but conjecture

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
With most players drafted, there is uncertainty whether that player can be effective making the jump. That's what development is for. There aren't that many Doughty, Stamkos, & Kane's out there. So your argument in itself is flawed, and totally biased/opinionated against Weal. You could make the same arguments against Hishon, Christian Thomas, and almost every undersized player out there. Just like every big bodies power forward prospect isn't going to pan out. You obviously have some agenda against Weal, and you are entitled to your opinion. But your argument is just that. Opinion, rooted in nothing but conjecture

Is that you Mr. Weal?

I didn't say anything about size in that post. Weal simply isn't that great a prospect. Someone else said something about huge reward if he pans out, so you give the kid an ELC so you can keep him and hope he reaches that potential.

Is it likely? No its not, and no one can argue with that. Is like Kozun and Azevedo, 2 other diminuative Kings prospects, they have huge potential if they could pan out, but its unlikely either of them become anything more than career AHLers.

arsmaster*

Is that you Mr. Weal?

I didn't say anything about size in that post. Weal simply isn't that great a prospect. Someone else said something about huge reward if he pans out, so you give the kid an ELC so you can keep him and hope he reaches that potential.

Is it likely? No its not, and no one can argue with that. Is like Kozun and Azevedo, 2 other diminuative Kings prospects, they have huge potential if they could pan out, but its unlikely either of them become anything more than career AHLers.

I think Weal has a stronger mentality and compete level than Kozun and Azevedo.

If you watch him play, he never gives up, is tenacious and has pretty good wheels.

You are right about ELC's, lots of drafted players who never touch the show sigh them. But that doesnt mean Weal isnt a solid NHL prospect. Is it likely? I dont know, theres tons of drafted players who dont? But I dont think anything he has done to this point, means he will be any more or less likely to make the NHL than similar players drafted last season like: Hishon, Spooner etc.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I think Weal has a stronger mentality and compete level than Kozun and Azevedo.

If you watch him play, he never gives up, is tenacious and has pretty good wheels.

You are right about ELC's, lots of drafted players who never touch the show sigh them. But that doesnt mean Weal isnt a solid NHL prospect. Is it likely? I dont know, theres tons of drafted players who dont? But I dont think anything he has done to this point, means he will be any more or less likely to make the NHL than similar players drafted last season like: Hishon, Spooner etc.

Kozun and Azevedo were both drafted as 19 year olds as well but I still think they're comparable.

I honestly haven't seen Weal all that much, but from what I have he seems like a classic case of dominating at the CHL but with not a very high chance of an NHL game. Other people who have seen him more have echoed this sentiment.

Can he become a solid top 6 forward in the NHL? Sure he can, but I don't think its likely, and I think Hishon has a better chance.

arsmaster*

Kozun and Azevedo were both drafted as 19 year olds as well but I still think they're comparable.

I honestly haven't seen Weal all that much, but from what I have he seems like a classic case of dominating at the CHL but with not a very high chance of an NHL game. Other people who have seen him more have echoed this sentiment.

Can he become a solid top 6 forward in the NHL? Sure he can, but I don't think its likely, and I think Hishon has a better chance.

I am wondering why you think Hishon has a far better chance? I could assume becuase you have seen more of him.

Weal has done nothing short or rip the WHL apart in his 3 seasons there. Will he have to work harder than most players to get to the NHL because of his size? I think so.

But the likelihood for all small players is about the same.

deano

Apr 13, 2005
Is that you Mr. Weal?

'Weal simply isn't that great a prospect".....opinion. There is nothing to your argument as to why he isn't a valid prospect, but just a pantomime of others who you agree with. I do agree that the cards are stacked against him, but players get drafted because they have NHL qualities. If he can round out his game and overcome any deficiencies he may have, he might be a player. Some players need a little time to find their game (i.e. Marty St Louis), while others slot right in. So to sit there on your computer, and imply that a prospect garbage because you and some others think so doesn't mean that it's true. It's just an opinion. Time will tell with Weal, and luckily for him and the sake of the argument, we will get to see over the next three years.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I am wondering why you think Hishon has a far better chance? I could assume becuase you have seen more of him.

Weal has done nothing short or rip the WHL apart in his 3 seasons there. Will he have to work harder than most players to get to the NHL because of his size? I think so.

But the likelihood for all small players is about the same.

Hishons a bit bigger than Weal, like you said about Weal, Hishons also an incredibly tenacious forward, pretty physical as well, quite slippery too. Not sure about Weal but he didn't seem physical at all, or all that slipperly when I saw him. Hes fast, but his skating isn't all that strong.

Of course I didn't see him that much so maybe thats not neccesairly true but Weal had to be a third round pick for a reason, Hishon was sort of a reach at 18 or w.e but he would have went higher than Weal anyway.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

I never dodged anything. Of course I know that coming to terms on an ELC means jack **** for the kids future. But, what I am saying is that the Kings are obviously happy with how his development is gone from his draft until now.

That can be taken as a sign that they think he will make a good pro. Will that be the AHL or the NHL? Who knows. All I am saying is that FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN, the kid has the tools to carve out an NHL career.

And by the sounds of things, I have seen the Weal ALOT more than you have.

Have you even ever watched him live? Or even on TV for that matter? When?

skierdude

Nov 12, 2010
myles bell

Anyone know why Myles Bell was left of team canada under 18 . he put up pretty good numbers with 45 pts this yr. played at the Ivan hlinka and won the hardest shot at the prospects game. Regina was a weak team this yr and he was top 15 in pts among all dmen in the whl. His draft rankings seem to be falling quickly. Any thoughts of where he will go in the draft.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I never dodged anything. Of course I know that coming to terms on an ELC means jack **** for the kids future. But, what I am saying is that the Kings are obviously happy with how his development is gone from his draft until now.

That can be taken as a sign that they think he will make a good pro. Will that be the AHL or the NHL? Who knows. All I am saying is that FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN, the kid has the tools to carve out an NHL career.

And by the sounds of things, I have seen the Weal ALOT more than you have.

Have you even ever watched him live? Or even on TV for that matter? When?

I've already acknowledged I haven't seem him a lot so why would you continue to bring him up?

You're backtracking now too, look at your first post, you said why would LA sign him if he wasn't going to be a solid player. Thats absurd. Signing an ELC =/= solid player.

Of course I haven't seen him live. I saw him during the 3 Brandon-Regina games in Feb, maybe March, can't remember when they were. An before you say 3 games isn't enough, I already said I haven't seen him that much.

arsmaster*

Anyone know why Myles Bell was left of team canada under 18 . he put up pretty good numbers with 45 pts this yr. played at the Ivan hlinka and won the hardest shot at the prospects game. Regina was a weak team this yr and he was top 15 in pts among all dmen in the whl. His draft rankings seem to be falling quickly. Any thoughts of where he will go in the draft.

HOnestly, I think Bell has a ton of skills....but the write up on the current ISS rankings sort of sum it all up.....wants to rush the puck, when NHL teams would like him to be more assertive and pay more attention to detail in his own end.

He is a 2nd round pick in my books, maybe late 1st talent??

I think the knocks on Bell are similar to those on PK Subban...questioning whether his high risk play would be able to be harnessed at the PRO level.

I, personally, doubted that Subban would learn to play defense the way he has early in his career....Bell could make the same type of strides, or he could be an AHL all star for a long time, because NHL coaches wont trust him in his own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad