Speculation: Why Tinordi isn't on this yet?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Pateryn is our most NHL ready defenseman prospect. Tinordi is 3rd on the call-up list, and rightfully so.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Then you would have to put Gorges on the right side. That's where Gorges plays the majority of the time.

Tinordi isn't here because his defensive play isn't quite there. At the same time, it's better than Bouillon and Murray, so i don't get it.

I don't get what you're saying. I don't think Gorges played a single minute on the right side this year.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Who told you Pateryn could fight? He's got two career fighting majors and he's lost both of them, against mediocre competition.... He's not a very good fighter at all... Period.

2007-08 with the Ohio Junior Blue Jackets (USHL), Pateryn netted three goals and 27 points, but most impressive were his 145 penalty minutes.

Oops I guess I wrongly assumed he'd dropped them more than he has based on his PIM.

Can we agree he brings a physical presence then. And that he'd get better with NHL experience. Anyway he turns 24 in June -- if not now, when?

Analyzer*

He was supposed to be with the Habs this year but Bergevin decided to go full Pejorative Slur singing Briere, adding Murray and keeping Bouillon and Drewskie.

D's drafted the same year but AFTER Tinordi playing in the NHL :

Pysyk - EDM
Faulk - CAR
Merrill - NJ
Marincin - EDM
Gudas - TB
Prout - CBJ

Pysyk is in Buffalo.

Gudas was passed over the year before iirc. Pysyk plays in combination of being good and Buffalo being bad. Same with Marincin. Gudas is 23, turning 24 this year. Tinordi is turning 22.

At the same time, Tinordi has played more than Gormley, McIlrath and Forbot. All chosen ahead of him.

Look at how many players Gallagher is playing a head of. Some are able to make it because there teams suck, they blossomed/matured just after being drafted. Taking our time with him isn't a bad thing and shouldn't be rushed.

Good on Marincin playing, but he's been victimized quite often because he's not ready for full time NHL.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Its pretty simple actually... This team can't keep possession of the damn puck. Possession starts with the D. If the D is not able to move the puck up the ice and/or feed the forwards, the opposing team will regain possession. That is why our team scores so many goals with Subban on the ice and why our team gives up so many goals with Murray on the ice.

Tinordi, I love the guy, is not a PMD. In no way would he help our offense, possession, and PP woes. He'd be grst on the PK, but our PK is already doing well enough.

As for Pateryn, the biggest positive people are raving about is the fact that he's right handed. Seriously? We might as well have kept Diaz's kinsmen then. Beaulieu's skillset and skating can actually help this team score goals and get back on track. I don't care which way Pateryn shoots. He may become a solid 3rd pairing D, but his ceiling is nowhere near Beaulieu's, nor is the positive impact he'd bring to the Habs as of now.
It falls often on the D but in this case, both the forwards and D are guilty.
Bingo.

When we look at it, it is a no brainer that bergevin will have to make a move for a true top 4 RD sooner than later.

Let's see:

Left D:
Markov
Gorges
Emelin
Bouillon
Murray
Beaulieu
Tinordi

Right D:
Subban
Diaz
Drewisky
Pateryn

That right side is simply horrible and without any dept. Of course, Emelin is playing on the right side, but it is a no brainer that he would be better on the left.

Habs should trade from those LD, in a package to bring a top 4 RD. Such a move would have a domino effect that would make the whole defense way better, and more ready to include a youngster. And it could mean sacrificing one of Tinordi or Beaulieu, and one of Gorges or Emelin.

To bad we couldn't get Klein.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
It falls often on the D but in this case, both the forwards and D are guilty.

To bad we couldn't get Klein.

Exactly my tought when I read about the trade. Bergevin missed a good opportunity. There aren't many team with too many RD. Nashville was one. Not anymore.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Exactly my tought when I read about the trade. Bergevin missed a good opportunity. There aren't many team with too many RD. Nashville was one. Not anymore.

Quite a few in the system though... Pateryn, Ellis (who has really improved after a rough start), Dietz and Thrower are all right handed defensemen... All have potential.

I'd take a big run at Girardi in the off season and trade Markov at the deadline:

Gorges - Subban
Emelin - Girardi
Tinordi - Pateryn

Ex- Drewiske, Murray

Or some combination of these players.... Guys on their natural sides, good size and speed.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo

Been saying it for over a month that Klein would have been perfect for the Habs.

So in reality MB ***** the bed on 2 dmen that could help (MDZ and Klein).

habitue*

no, he wasn't.

Does Gorges has a special clause in his new contract that assure him to play only on the left side ?

The guy has proved in the past that he can be as effective (or ineffective...) on any side with Markov and Gill as partners.

habitue*

Been saying it for over a month that Klein would have been perfect for the Habs.

So in reality MB ***** the bed on 2 dmen that could help (MDZ and Klein).

Klein is 29 and has a contract as bad as Gorges. He was the worst d-man in Nashville this year.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Greg Pateryn makes more sense than Tinordi. He's righthanded, can play the powerplay and he's 6'2.

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Diaz
Gorges - Pateryn
Murray

Beaulieu sent back. Him and Tinordi will get their spot next year when Murray and Bouillon (and maybe Diaz's) contract expires.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Klein is 29 and has a contract as bad as Gorges. He was the worst d-man in Nashville this year.

He makes 1 million less than Gorges. He has a limited skillset but he's tough as nails, can skate, is right handed, and is a guy you want in the playoffs.

The Habs D need a guy with all those 4 characteristics.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Quite a few in the system though... Pateryn, Ellis (who has really improved after a rough start), Dietz and Thrower are all right handed defensemen... All have potential.

I'd take a big run at Girardi in the off season and trade Markov at the deadline:

Gorges - Subban
Emelin - Girardi
Tinordi - Pateryn

Ex- Drewiske, Murray

Or some combination of these players.... Guys on their natural sides, good size and speed.

Yeah, Girardi should really be a target. Still many good years left, enough to have younger d-men ready to take his place in 3-5 years.

Pateryn and Ellis are RHD, but have very limited upside. They could exceed expectations, but a GM shouldn't consider them as more than bottom pairing guys. Then good if they become better than that.

Dietz and Thrower are many years away to contribute to their upside level, if they even reach it. So yeah, Girardi is a no brainer. Given what's coming up, I would say that Bergevin should even overpay for him if needed. His presence would have a domino effect that would make the whole group better, kind of when Hamrlik was signed.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Does Gorges has a special clause in his new contract that assure him to play only on the left side ?

The guy has proved in the past that he can be as effective (or ineffective...) on any side with Markov and Gill as partners.

That bothers me as hell. Yesterday was crazy. Why play a rookie on his wrong side against Pittsburgh? Against ********** Malkin and Crosby!!! It would be a lot better to play Gorges there and Beaulieu on his good side. Beaulieu wasn't bad at all, but we saw on some occasions that pivoting on his wrong side wasn't always easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad