why the lack of respect?

Discussion in 'Colorado Avalanche' started by freeboy, Oct 13, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. freeboy

freeboy Registered User

OMG
    LACK of WHAT?
    RESPECT ... seriously bad typo..
    Ive been reading on other teams areas and its interesting to see the lack of respect we get....
    Is it just me? I see this as a good team that is playing tough hockey... not a great team but a competent team that is not playing so poorly to be relegated to the "they suck" and got lucky.. good gooltending... etc..

That we are winning against good teams seem to be a plus.. I hope we can punish some western teams now and gain some respect. I remember back when making the playoffs was the thing we did, even then we did not get the love from the press, is there a anti Avs bias?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    Because it's been 5 games. It'll take a lot more than that for people to start recognizing that the team is playing well.

3. Freudian

Freudian Clearly deranged

Last three seasons before this:

87 wins and 125 losses. It'll take more than five games to change the view of Avs as a poor team.

4. Avs44

Avs44 Registered User

I don't know, maybe because it's 5 games? We've been irrelevant and terrible for years. Hell, I don't even think we can keep playing this well. Unless Varly keeps playing like this or our defense tightens up, we are going to start losing quite a few games. We cannot have periods like the second period last night.

5. JWK

JWK Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz

We've only played 6% of regular season.

6. tigervixxxen

tigervixxxen Optimism=Delusional

I do think the Flames are getting more "wow good for them" positivity than the Avs are. Although the national media has been complimentary. But I agree with the points that respect isn't going to come from 5 games. it might also have to do with people knowing the talent is there and Roy in the mix that this team can be legitimately good at some point in the future and it's not so much a friendly pat on the head for creating wins out of little talent.

7. InjuredChoker

InjuredChoker Registered User

avs started 5-1 in 11-12.

toronto 5-1-1 and 7-2-1. 4-0-0 the previous year. ducks 4-1 in 11-12.

8. JoemAvs

JoemAvs Registered User

Because we have had a tendency to start amazing and completely falter afterwards. And we always look good against the East and on opening night.
    And the wins against the Caps and Bruins were only produced because of awesome goaltending. Our defense giving up only 1 goal / game is a big fluke and solely on Giggy and Varly.

9. freeboy

freeboy Registered User

ok..
    Im thinking the team will improve its play, due to this one thing in that the players will get more familiar with each other and play more cooperatively. I am not saying statistically we will look better. But I do think the team has growth for this year in defense, obviously, and in the overall team play. This team play is good, I simply think it could be better .
    and
    I do realize its only been five games... but comments like the avs suck etc are pretty common and do not seem warranted. We have a good offense and a defense thats one player away from being a good defence. and
    Our two goalies are well suited to the type of play and are each happy with the roles they have. Coaching must also get a plus rating...
    So, given thats its only five games... lets be critical. What is the weakest area? Most of us will say defense, which is very ironic given the points allowed.

My biggest "happy happy" area is the PP and PK. We are doing well, and if we continue to win the PP, PK areas it will be tough to beat us. The avs at 5 on 5 or better yet 4 on 4 match up pretty well.
    Again, I do realize its 5 games in... lets see where we are after 16 games... or 25....

10. tucker3434

tucker3434 Registered User Sponsor

29th place last year. If you took a poll, even of knowledgable nhl fans, most would wrongly say we finished dead last. That stigma is hard to shake, and it's going to take a lot longer than 5 games.

11. Unaffiliated

Unaffiliated Registered User

1. it's only been 5 games

2. who actually gives a **** what other teams fans think

12. Bonzai12

Bonzai12 Registered User

[​IMG]

feel better?

13. WarriorOfGandhi

WarriorOfGandhi Was saying Boo-urns

because nobody on the team's had surgery yet.

14. Parker27

Parker27 Registered User

Why is everyone so sensitive. Who cares what everyone(media) thinks. As far as I remember 5 games does not get us in the playoffs. Calm down when we get through the dog days of the season then we can get some respect if we are still tops of the league. This team will have it ups and downs and everyone knows it. Thank god we started on the ups.

15. a mangy Meowth

a mangy Meowth Goat Lender

Who cares what they think

16. billybobjoe2112

billybobjoe2112 Registered User

Last season was so bad it feels wrong to say we didn't finish last.

17. tigervixxxen

There are two issues at hand here to me. One, nobody has any basis to expect respect. That point I totally agree on. Respect is earned over years of hard work and results. However, I see a lot of making fun of Avs fans for getting excited over this start, saying oh yeah go plan the parade or give them the Cup now. It's pretty ridiculous when I have not seen one of us make any sort of claim like that. What's wrong with being excited? We have endured a lot of crap for years, we deserve a little joy. I think we all know how to count and realize there are 77 games left. But what's wrong with being happy right now? I'm just thrilled at the thought of having a competitive team. That doesn't mean I'm clearing my calendar for June or even April.

18. Unaffiliated

Unaffiliated Registered User

Everyone says go plan your parade to every fan who's excited about their hot start. We're not special in that regard.

19. tigervixxxen

Doesn't make it any less annoying :laugh:

20. Mant*

Mant* Guest

Natural reaction from fans of teams that are off to a slow start.

21. Landeslog

Landeslog Registered User

I'm getting pretty irritated at everyone making up things about us thinking we're the s***. I have not heard one Avs fan say anything about our record reflecting our team or saying we'll keep this up at all. Everyone's just talking about HOPE that we'll squeak into the playoffs.
    And the ragging on the defense is fine but if you're going to do that give our goalies credit, whom everyone was also saying were awful at the start of the season.
    Someone deserves credit for the start. No one's trying to give credit to anyone for the future or anything. Frustrating

22. PeterTheGreat

PeterTheGreat Registered User

We still need to earn respect.

In the last 5 years we've made the playoffs only once, and in that time have finished 28th, 29th and 29th.

Winning 5 games isnt going to change anything yet.

23. Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche Registered User Sponsor

We have sucked for a long time and even I can't believe this hot run is for real, but some things seem different this season, that's for sure. Varlamov looks like a real deal, offense looks like It's starting to gel and produce at It's level. Still lots of good things, you have to be positive after winning 5 games in a row, It's a great start and hopefully we can ride it like Chicago did last year. :yo:

24. klozge

klozge Avs

Home Page:
    I couldn't care less than about what fans of other teams think about the Avs. They'll continue to be "lucky", "a fluke" and "a product of great goaltending" until they'll finally become "only good because they tanked for years."
    As long as they win most of the games I'm happy and proud of the team.

25. freeboy

freeboy Registered User

Well, I am glad that most of the avs fans feel these games are not a fluke...
    and Ill be at the game Tuesday with my old Svotos jersey and screaming and yelling like a 10 year old...
    I watched a video on ESPN that talked about how good we where! so that was nice to see, and the guys mentioned it took ten games to really see what made a start for these teams, so what will happen if we go 9-1?