why the lack of respect?

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
OMG
LACK of WHAT?
RESPECT ... seriously bad typo..
Ive been reading on other teams areas and its interesting to see the lack of respect we get....
Is it just me? I see this as a good team that is playing tough hockey... not a great team but a competent team that is not playing so poorly to be relegated to the "they suck" and got lucky.. good gooltending... etc..

That we are winning against good teams seem to be a plus.. I hope we can punish some western teams now and gain some respect. I remember back when making the playoffs was the thing we did, even then we did not get the love from the press, is there a anti Avs bias?

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Because it's been 5 games. It'll take a lot more than that for people to start recognizing that the team is playing well.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Last three seasons before this:

87 wins and 125 losses. It'll take more than five games to change the view of Avs as a poor team.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I don't know, maybe because it's 5 games? We've been irrelevant and terrible for years. Hell, I don't even think we can keep playing this well. Unless Varly keeps playing like this or our defense tightens up, we are going to start losing quite a few games. We cannot have periods like the second period last night.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I do think the Flames are getting more "wow good for them" positivity than the Avs are. Although the national media has been complimentary. But I agree with the points that respect isn't going to come from 5 games. it might also have to do with people knowing the talent is there and Roy in the mix that this team can be legitimately good at some point in the future and it's not so much a friendly pat on the head for creating wins out of little talent.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Because we have had a tendency to start amazing and completely falter afterwards. And we always look good against the East and on opening night.
And the wins against the Caps and Bruins were only produced because of awesome goaltending. Our defense giving up only 1 goal / game is a big fluke and solely on Giggy and Varly.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
ok..
Im thinking the team will improve its play, due to this one thing in that the players will get more familiar with each other and play more cooperatively. I am not saying statistically we will look better. But I do think the team has growth for this year in defense, obviously, and in the overall team play. This team play is good, I simply think it could be better .
and
I do realize its only been five games... but comments like the avs suck etc are pretty common and do not seem warranted. We have a good offense and a defense thats one player away from being a good defence. and
Our two goalies are well suited to the type of play and are each happy with the roles they have. Coaching must also get a plus rating...
So, given thats its only five games... lets be critical. What is the weakest area? Most of us will say defense, which is very ironic given the points allowed.

My biggest "happy happy" area is the PP and PK. We are doing well, and if we continue to win the PP, PK areas it will be tough to beat us. The avs at 5 on 5 or better yet 4 on 4 match up pretty well.
Again, I do realize its 5 games in... lets see where we are after 16 games... or 25....

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
29th place last year. If you took a poll, even of knowledgable nhl fans, most would wrongly say we finished dead last. That stigma is hard to shake, and it's going to take a lot longer than 5 games.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
yjex.jpg

feel better?

Parker27

Aug 3, 2005
Montana
Why is everyone so sensitive. Who cares what everyone(media) thinks. As far as I remember 5 games does not get us in the playoffs. Calm down when we get through the dog days of the season then we can get some respect if we are still tops of the league. This team will have it ups and downs and everyone knows it. Thank god we started on the ups.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There are two issues at hand here to me. One, nobody has any basis to expect respect. That point I totally agree on. Respect is earned over years of hard work and results. However, I see a lot of making fun of Avs fans for getting excited over this start, saying oh yeah go plan the parade or give them the Cup now. It's pretty ridiculous when I have not seen one of us make any sort of claim like that. What's wrong with being excited? We have endured a lot of crap for years, we deserve a little joy. I think we all know how to count and realize there are 77 games left. But what's wrong with being happy right now? I'm just thrilled at the thought of having a competitive team. That doesn't mean I'm clearing my calendar for June or even April.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
There are two issues at hand here to me. One, nobody has any basis to expect respect. That point I totally agree on. Respect is earned over years of hard work and results. However, I see a lot of making fun of Avs fans for getting excited over this start, saying oh yeah go plan the parade or give them the Cup now. It's pretty ridiculous when I have not seen one of us make any sort of claim like that. What's wrong with being excited? We have endured a lot of crap for years, we deserve a little joy. I think we all know how to count and realize there are 77 games left. But what's wrong with being happy right now? I'm just thrilled at the thought of having a competitive team. That doesn't mean I'm clearing my calendar for June or even April.

Everyone says go plan your parade to every fan who's excited about their hot start. We're not special in that regard.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver

I'm getting pretty irritated at everyone making up things about us thinking we're the s***. I have not heard one Avs fan say anything about our record reflecting our team or saying we'll keep this up at all. Everyone's just talking about HOPE that we'll squeak into the playoffs.
And the ragging on the defense is fine but if you're going to do that give our goalies credit, whom everyone was also saying were awful at the start of the season.
Someone deserves credit for the start. No one's trying to give credit to anyone for the future or anything. Frustrating

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
We still need to earn respect.

In the last 5 years we've made the playoffs only once, and in that time have finished 28th, 29th and 29th.

Winning 5 games isnt going to change anything yet.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
We have sucked for a long time and even I can't believe this hot run is for real, but some things seem different this season, that's for sure. Varlamov looks like a real deal, offense looks like It's starting to gel and produce at It's level. Still lots of good things, you have to be positive after winning 5 games in a row, It's a great start and hopefully we can ride it like Chicago did last year. :yo:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I couldn't care less than about what fans of other teams think about the Avs. They'll continue to be "lucky", "a fluke" and "a product of great goaltending" until they'll finally become "only good because they tanked for years."
As long as they win most of the games I'm happy and proud of the team.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Well, I am glad that most of the avs fans feel these games are not a fluke...
and Ill be at the game Tuesday with my old Svotos jersey and screaming and yelling like a 10 year old...
I watched a video on ESPN that talked about how good we where! so that was nice to see, and the guys mentioned it took ten games to really see what made a start for these teams, so what will happen if we go 9-1?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad