Why the Cubs need to keep losing

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
Hoping for a Cubs win tonight, let's get the series back to Cleveland. Had a dream last night that a tsunami hit Wrigley Field. Something bizarre is gonna happen. As a gypsy king, my dreams always have significance.:sarcasm:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Some people forget that they didn't lose the series on that play, either.

Sure, it opened the floodgates to an eight-run inning, but that was only Game 6! The Cubs totally **** the bed in Game 7, with Bartman already a pariah and nowhere near the stadium.

I wonder who they'll blame this year, for their team's shortcomings.

Where's the egregious moment to blame?

There hasn't been a blatant standout OMG blunder that the Cubs can blame to this point.

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
I think the Cubs are taking this to 7. If they do no way Kluber, as good as he is, is going to have the same success pitching his 3rd game on short rest.

I think the Cubs are winning this thing and Steve Bartman gets invited to throw out the 1st pitch at next year's home opener (and he accepts.)

...then again, nothing strange happened last night after I predicted it, so who knows...

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
I think the Cubs are taking this to 7. If they do no way Kluber, as good as he is, is going to have the same success pitching his 3rd game on short rest.

I think the Cubs are winning this thing and Steve Bartman gets invited to throw out the 1st pitch at next year's home opener (and he accepts.)

...then again, nothing strange happened last night after I predicted it, so who knows...

Why? All signs point to Kluber continuing his streak considering that he is a breaking ball pitcher, which is the Cubs' (as well as the Red Sox, and Jays) biggest weakness. I really doubt that the already streaky Cubs offense will do much against pitches that they can't really hit.

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014

Will the Steve Bartman curse finally be lifted?

Should be a great game. Do it for Bartman!

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014
Why? All signs point to Kluber continuing his streak considering that he is a breaking ball pitcher, which is the Cubs' (as well as the Red Sox, and Jays) biggest weakness. I really doubt that the already streaky Cubs offense will do much against pitches that they can't really hit.

Taking nothing away from Kluber who might very well end up series MVP, the Cubs hitters are just too good to be shut down 3 times in a row. They might not score a ton of runs off Kluber, but it will be enough to win.

Having said all this, I still think the Cubs fans who abused Bartman in any way are in the wrong. Really don't care who wins except it would be nice to see this guy finally live a normal life without fear.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There was a lot of mention of Buckner back in '04, when another "curse" was lifted and old grudges were finally put to rest.

And Buckner had a far more direct impact on any game than Bartman ever did. What's funny though is that both incidents occurred in Game 6, and were completely separate from a Game 7 loss that followed. Yet both get scapegoated for years. :dunno:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Well there we go. Cubs win. Yeah, I agree, Bartman should accept the invitation to toss the ball in the home opener (if he's asked). They did this with Buckner after the 2nd win in 2007 for the home opener in 2008. It helps mend fences. Bartman's treatment was terrible, and it really comes down to whether or not HE forgives Chicago, not the other way around.

So now we have Cleveland with the longest drought in baseball currently, at 68 years. Hard to believe we live in a sports world where the Curse of the Bambino and the Curse of the Billy Goat are over. Not to mention the Curse of the Black Sox scandal for the White Sox. Baseball is always more fun when there are current curses going on. I guess the Indians sort of have one, but there isn't something that pinpoints it. They've just been lousy.

So to the Cubs and the Billy Goat, the black cat, Leon Durham, Steve Bartman.............it is over.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Well there we go. Cubs win. Yeah, I agree, Bartman should accept the invitation to toss the ball in the home opener (if he's asked). They did this with Buckner after the 2nd win in 2007 for the home opener in 2008. It helps mend fences. Bartman's treatment was terrible, and it really comes down to whether or not HE forgives Chicago, not the other way around.

So now we have Cleveland with the longest drought in baseball currently, at 68 years. Hard to believe we live in a sports world where the Curse of the Bambino and the Curse of the Billy Goat are over. Not to mention the Curse of the Black Sox scandal for the White Sox. Baseball is always more fun when there are current curses going on. I guess the Indians sort of have one, but there isn't something that pinpoints it. They've just been lousy.

So to the Cubs and the Billy Goat, the black cat, Leon Durham, Steve Bartman.............it is over.

Since this is a hockey site, I could make a case that the Cubs winning it all is like the baseball equivalent of when the Rangers won it all in '94.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Since this is a hockey site, I could make a case that the Cubs winning it all is like the baseball equivalent of when the Rangers won it all in '94.

Yeah, that's the longest a team has had to wait. Red Wings was 42 years. Hawks 49. Leafs, still 49 and counting. Rangers were 54. It is the closest thing hockey has seen, but it still isn't even close to the suffering of Cubs fans. I liken this back to 2004 with the Red Sox more than anything. A great comeback, a curse no one thought would ever be broken. Honestly, when the Yankees won 19-8 in Game 3 of the ALCS who thought the Red Sox were winning? Not me. And I thought the Cubs for sure were done after 3-1.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I don't think there is any type of hockey equivalent to the Cubs. The only one I would consider close in the NHL would be the Maple Laughs.

The Red Wings and Blackhawks had long draughts as well.The Rangers were more about the ratings aspect than anything.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Nothing in hockey compares to the Cubs, since the NHL hadn't even formed at the time of Chicago's last win. :laugh:

The Leafs and Blues are tied for the longest drought right now, I'd say.

1967-68 was "Year One", for both of them. Or season one, I guess, since the NHL's seasons overlap calendar years.

Also....let us not forget the poor Ottawa Senators, Cup-less since 1927. :sarcasm:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Nobody compares to the Cubs.

108 years. 108. YEARS. YEARSSSSSSS. 1-0-8 YEARS.

Is anyone even in a 70 year drought?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

If the Devils hadn't blown game 6 of the '94 East Finals, NYR's Cup drought would be 76 years

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Yes I think so

Cardinals. Indians. Kings. Lions. I think the cardinals are in the 70s everyone else is near it?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If the Devils hadn't blown game 6 of the '94 East Finals, NYR's Cup drought would be 76 years

Rangers fan here....that's not really fair. They won. It ended. Devils didn't blow it, Messier/Leetch/Zubov/Kovalev/Richter stepped it up.

The other way to look at it is what if John Davidson was healthy and beats the Islanders in 81 not 79? Rangers would have played the North Stars in the Finals and absolutely steamrolled them.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Rangers fan here....that's not really fair. They won. It ended. Devils didn't blow it, Messier/Leetch/Zubov/Kovalev/Richter stepped it up.

The other way to look at it is what if John Davidson was healthy and beats the Islanders in 81 not 79? Rangers would have played the North Stars in the Finals and absolutely steamrolled them.

Plus who's to say the Rangers come back the next year with the same team? If they lose to Jersey, maybe they make some changes and they win it the next year or after that. You never know how things would have played out if they hadn't won.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Well there we go. Cubs win. Yeah, I agree, Bartman should accept the invitation to toss the ball in the home opener (if he's asked).

Phil, come on. Bartman doesn't owe the Cubs jack****. He doesn't have to accept anything by the Cubs just because it's offered.

After 13 years, the fact that he's stayed away from the limelight, refusing bookdeals, TV appearances, hundreds of thousands of dollars, in order to remain under the radar just makes him so much more likeable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad