Line Combos: Why splitting up the Sedins would be beneficial

BoKnows53

Jul 28, 2013
First off, it's obvious that Henrik's best hockey was played without Daniel, but aside from that, splitting up the twins would not only spread out the offence but make the top 2 lines a lot more versatile.

For example:

Line #1:
Burrows-Henrik-Jensen
On this line, we give Jensen the opportunity to prove himself on a top line, similar to how Chicago handled Brandon Saad last season. His confidence grew he developed alongside Chicago's best players

Line #2:
D.Sedin-Kesler-Booth
Finally Kesler would have a play maker on his wing. Daniel could feed Kesler and Booth as well as take the pressure off Kes while being another scoring threat

These lines offer more versatility rather than just stacking the top line.

Lastly, we have an abundance of wingers and prospects whom when called upon could play along side either of our playmakers when injuries occur

i.e
Shinkaruk-Henrik-Burrows
Daniel-Kesler-Kassian

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
Jensen on the 1st line? Mr. 4 points in 20 AHL Games.. No Thanks

But in short i disagree. I don't mind the idea of a temporary split up for a week max but their chemistry together is undeniable.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Henrik played his best hockey when Daniel was injured. In the times they've both been in the lineup and have been split up it has failed miserably and they both looked pretty bad.

Leave them together. Play Kassian with them. Second line is Booth - Kesler - Burrows.

BoKnows53

Jul 28, 2013

But in short i disagree. I don't mind the idea of a temporary split up for a week max but their chemistry together is undeniable.

Well he never got the chance to play with Schroeder on the Wolves, and the team in general was garbage... He was one of the best scorers on his European team and he's been training hard to make the team this year. Torts even said he hopes the young kids steal some of the vet's jobs this year....I hope he's right

I'd like to see them split up like you said...for a short period and see how it goes. If it's a disaster then go back to the old lines...

but if it works...I think we're a much more dangerous team

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
We don't have enough supporting talent to split them up, IMO. Maybe if Horvat lit it up or if we had two Keslers..... But if that were the case, what would be the need to split them up?

As it stands, not giving Henrik/Daniel offensive players who think the game on the same level that they do to play with is silly and won't spread anything around, IMO.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
In the short term, possibly, but not for any extended period of time. Part of wha makes them awesome is their insane chemistry.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Henrik plays better without Daniel mostly because he's forced to shoot more because he doesn't have a real sniper option on his line without him. Sometimes he's guilty of looking for the pretty pass to his brother rather than just taking the shot himself. I'm not sure if it's a confidence issue or just force of habit. I don't think the 1st line is better without Daniel though, and Jensen is years away from being a 1st line impact player of that magnitude.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Henrik played his best hockey the season Daniel was hurt, but played his best hockey later once Danny returned, so no it isn't a good idea unless its temporary.

Tanevian*

In the short term, possibly, but not for any extended period of time. Part of wha makes them awesome is their insane chemistry.

I'd like to see a plan to split them in a playoff series if things aren't working. Seems obvious to me, coaches do it with every line but for some reason AV never thought it might be worth a shot.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Daniel - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - Henrik - Kassian

That second line will have serious issues with defensive play IMO. Daniel - Kesler - Kassian would work because Kelser does all the defensive heavy lifting anyways, which would give Henrik Burrows as a supporting defensive player.

I'd love to see it tried over a 5-10 game stretch. Henrik and Daniel having insane chemistry, but I think there's a lot of value to having different looks, and elevating two different lines.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Exactly why would a coach split up, for any length of time, the 2 guys in the league with the best chemistry (even though that can't be measured we know it's there right?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

This.

Unfortunately, unlike most other teams, we can't 'spread the wealth' with our two best offensive players, because a huge part of what makes them special is their chemistry and ability to work together and find each other in incredible ways.

Splitting them up just diminishes the effectiveness of both players, more so than it would 'boost' the effectiveness of our other players. Absolutely not worth it.

ZKass The Bass

Feb 10, 2013
London

He's worth a shot. Were you familiar with the Wolves last season? Arniel treated Jensen like crap after his first game. He was a mainstay on the 4th line and used sporadically in PP situations.

Jensen had 16 goals in the SEL last season...he's 19. Most among junior players, more than Elias Lindholm even.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
He's worth a shot. Were you familiar with the Wolves last season? Arniel treated Jensen like crap after his first game. He was a mainstay on the 4th line and used sporadically in PP situations.

Jensen had 16 goals in the SEL last season...he's 19. Most among junior players, more than Elias Lindholm even.

i have not turned my back on Jensen as a prospect. But theres noway he plays on the top line this year maybe for a game or two. I think if Horvat makes the lineup you might see him with the twins a few shifts here and there aswell. I think that could actually work. I know botH Henrik and BoHo are C's but wouldn't hurt to try to build the kids confidence in his 9 game stint

ZKass The Bass

Feb 10, 2013
London
i have not turned my back on Jensen as a prospect. But theres noway he plays on the top line this year maybe for a game or two. I think if Horvat makes the lineup you might see him with the twins a few shifts here and there aswell. I think that could actually work. I know botH Henrik and BoHo are C's but wouldn't hurt to try to build the kids confidence in his 9 game stint

There's no way the Sedins get split up either. I'm just endorsing OP's proposal based on what he provided.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Daniel - Kesler - Hansen

A top line that can challenge other top lines on BOTH ends.

Burrows - Henrik - Kassian

Not as good defensively as they should be, but Burrows and Kassian are able to shoot / play in front of the net- coupled with Henrik's stellar playmaking abilities, this line can cause some damage against secondary defensive units.

Booth - Schroeder - Higgins

Definitely the wildcard line of the lineups. Schroeder should be better, while Booth will have less pressure on the third line. Higgins is Higgins. No Hansen on this line makes the line weak.

Don't know if this will work, but it'll be different.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I'd like to see a plan to split them in a playoff series if things aren't working. Seems obvious to me, coaches do it with every line but for some reason AV never thought it might be worth a shot.

Agreed.
It's become far to predictable for other teams to focus heavily on shutting down the twins - with good success in the playoffs. Besides the obvious need for a Kassian type player to provide much needed toughness and grit when the twins play together, I agree its essential to have a backup plan to split them up.
It's about time we stop making it predictably easy for opposing coaches.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I don't think there is a pronounced desire to do it, on the team. I agree there would be a ton of potential benefit. A balanced two line attack, for one thing. I also think the Sedins will become less effective facing twenty nine checking units. Having them on one line simplifies checking assignments for the other team, no?

Two lines with a Sedin driving the offense sounds pretty desirable, especially in light of the team's Free Agent attraction. This season is kind of a mess because of the cap issue, but maxing out the offense is an exercise in asset management. Starting out with pre-conceptions is poor management. There are enough limiting factors conspiring against the team, as it is.

Try a few rosters out on Capgeek. There are some pretty attractive combinations.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Why do you people keep refering to Nicklas Jensens production in Sweden as some sort of proof that he is worth putting on the first line in the NHL?

Europe will never be the same as the NHL. Linus Omark, Mats Zuccarello, Fabian Brunnström and many other players will testify to that.

It's not a knock on Jensen, you just have to realize that Jensen might not jump from being a 4th liner in the AHL to a first liner in the NHL over the summer just because he had a good start to his Swedish stay (remember he was only doing well in the beginning there).

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Daniel - Kesler - Hansen

A top line that can challenge other top lines on BOTH ends.

Burrows - Henrik - Kassian

Not as good defensively as they should be, but Burrows and Kassian are able to shoot / play in front of the net- coupled with Henrik's stellar playmaking abilities, this line can cause some damage against secondary defensive units.

Booth - Schroeder - Higgins

Definitely the wildcard line of the lineups. Schroeder should be better, while Booth will have less pressure on the third line. Higgins is Higgins. No Hansen on this line makes the line weak.

Don't know if this will work, but it'll be different.

And who sets up Daniel? he needs a greta playmaker to feed him and that sure as hell isn't Kesler or Hansen. Problem is guys like Booth and Kassian need to be with a great playmaker. Love Kesler but wish he could set guys up a bit more than he has in recent years.

King of the ES*

Pretty crazy idea. Sedins' edge is in their chemistry, which they'd obviously no longer have if they're split up.

Ryan Kesler setting up Daniel Sedin is also an optimistic, if not foolish, notion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad