Why shouldn't WSH sign Lundqvist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't see the point. Those Gs didn't take the teams that signed them to the promised land, but I don't recall where they did any harm either.
Kolzig was so bad in Tampa that they paid Toronto to take his contract.
Brodeur lasted 7 games in St Louis before he was down to 3rd string goalie and retired himself

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
People spitting all this blah blah blah about professionalism and competitiveness and for some reason don't want to look at the fact that he's a veeerrryyyy average goalie nowadays. The fact that someone at this level and stage would care that much for someone who barely got onto the team let alone has been the reason for their past failures multiple times is laughable. Hank is the best goalie in the post lockout era but nobody gives a shit if he personally wins anything on that team. I'd buy that if it was his final run at it with the Rangers and his long time friends and teammates but Capitals? Hell no, stop making up these bullshit hollywood stories out of the blue.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Brodeur lasted 7 games in St Louis before he was down to 3rd string goalie and retired himself
I still don't see your point. If the King fails here, so what? We're right back where we started with Sammy and Vitek. Still was worth a try.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Kolzig and Brodeur were sub-replacement level players at that point. Lundqvist, at worst, is a good backup right now and IMO he actually had a slightly above average season last year compared to all starters in the NHL.

Reactions: Calicaps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Kolzig and Brodeur were sub-replacement level players at that point. Lundqvist, at worst, is a good backup right now and IMO he actually had a slightly above average season last year compared to all starters in the NHL.
Lundqvist was sub replacement last year, and the worst of 3 goalies that the Rangers used.
I still don't see your point. If the King fails here, so what? We're right back where we started with Sammy and Vitek. Still was worth a try.
Because they shouldn't be going with Sammy and Vitek, either. They should be going with Sammy and Greiss (or similar).

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Lundqvist was sub replacement last year, and the worst of 3 goalies that the Rangers used.

Because they shouldn't be going with Sammy and Vitek, either. They should be going with Sammy and Greiss (or similar).
Greiss could potentially cost 2 or 3 times more. If Lundqvist doesn't work I'm sure there will be plenty of options in-season.

With the salary we have available to fill needs its a worthwhile move.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Careful, you guys are going to get ignored soon.

that’ll teach them....what narcissistic would dare?! ;)

Greiss was my top choice, but we’ll see on Hank. Sammy sure as hell needs someone to mentor him better. If that helps Sammy be a top-5’ish guy it’s worth it.

If Hank can still play, all the better.

I look at this signing as potentially fun and nostalgic but a long shot.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

We're talking about the backup goalie. Greiss or someone can be had at the deadline if it even becomes an issue. Right now, a second goalie isn't their biggest need nor where they should devote most resources. Plus, having Hank around Sammy is a benefit in terms of professionalism and preparation regardless of his on-ice performance. Greiss, not so much

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
that’ll teach them....what narcissistic would dare?! ;)

Greiss was my top choice, but we’ll see on Hank. Sammy sure as hell needs someone to mentor him better. If that helps Sammy be a top-5’ish guy it’s worth it.

If Hank can still play, all the better.

I look at this signing as potentially fun and nostalgic but a long shot.

And as was mentioned. My guess is Greiss will be a lot more expensive than Hank.

But that seemingly isn’t part of the @Hivemind belief system.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
We're talking about the backup goalie. Greiss or someone can be had at the deadline if it even becomes an issue. Right now, a second goalie isn't their biggest need nor where they should devote most resources. Plus, having Hank around Sammy is a benefit in terms of professionalism and preparation regardless of his on-ice performance. Greiss, not so much

now you are really poking the cub.

Reactions: Calicaps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

They can't necessarily wait until the deadline. Samsonov has never played more than 37 games in a season. Depending on the length of the season, they could easily overwork him early on if they don't have a reliable back-up. Unless we're heading into a heavily truncated season (which is possible), they should have the 1B in place at the beginning of the year. And I don't have faith that Lundqvist is capable of that anymore, given his failure to hold down a 1B job for the Rangers this past year and decline in general.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
They can't necessarily wait until the deadline. Samsonov has never played more than 37 games in a season. Depending on the length of the season, they could easily overwork him early on if they don't have a reliable back-up. Unless we're heading into a heavily truncated season (which is possible), they should have the 1B in place at the beginning of the year. And I don't have faith that Lundqvist is capable of that anymore, given his failure to hold down a 1B job for the Rangers this past year and decline in general.
I see this argument quite a bit. I love it.

You'd think he was beaten out by a monkey and a washing machine.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The Rangers were buttcheeks this year. If it wasn’t for a MVP performance by Panarin, do they even sniff the bubble? Seems pretty overblown to bitch about bringing on a quality human being and future HoFer to be around the young stud. Like others have stated, if it doesn’t work out there are plenty of other options out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad