Why shouldn't WSH sign Lundqvist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
At first sight I looked at it like "no, Caps don't need him, it's a meh signing"
But more I think about it, I like it. (depends on $$$)

He's a vet. If he can be like Orpik bis in the locker room, it would be great.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
At first sight I looked at it like "no, Caps don't need him, it's a meh signing"

Lundqvist has always had a strong hockey IQ as a goalie. He knows how to read the shooters. That is something he can share his knowledge with Samsonov.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006

Trojka consists of Ovie, Bäckström and Ol' Lumquest. Kids running around. Now prey away Sergachev from Tampa and win the damn cup.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Hank is a legend and is known for his professionalism, competitiveness, and preparation. All of those traits would be welcomed in that locker room, especially for young Ilya. And don’t underestimate the power of knowing you have support behind you and that you don’t need to be perfect if you’re Samsonov; it’s the ideal situation where he doesn’t need to look over his should every time there’s a bad game but he also has a guy there who can pick up the slack if things don’t go well. Also don’t underestimate the Ray Bourque factor — the guys on this team are going to want to get Hank a Cup. It would be the perfect end to an amazing career.

I’m really high on Vitek and think he has a future here but I’m more than fine with welcoming The King on a one year deal.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Why would Lundqvist have a Ray Bourque like factor and we play like dog shit for Kovy who also has no rings. Story telling is fun

Reactions: Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Why would Lundqvist have a Ray Bourque like factor and we play like dog shit for Kovy who also has no rings. Story telling is fun

Other than MAYBE 3 guys, was anyone especially motivated for Kovy? Nope...he’s no Ray Bourque-type sadly (in terms of stature among the league).

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Yeah, I guess a goalie they played against in the playoffs for over a decade who has a good relationship with some of the guys on the team and who is one of the best ambassadors and most respected players in the sport is no different than a guy whose played for five different NHL franchises, bolted to Russia, came back and played for three different teams last year, and spent all of 15 games with the Caps are totally the same thing. Thanks for correcting me on that one.

Go make a poll on the mains and ask which veteran without a Cup people want to see win the most and let me know the results. Let me know if Kovalchuk cracks the top 20 because I'd bet good money that Hank wouldn't fall out of the top 2. I suspect that the results would be the same if they polled players as well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't think Win One for the Gipper is all that influential a motivator. Maybe if they were multiple Cup winners already with a bit of an easier time making runs. Maybe once they get to the Conference Finals and the opportunity is really in front of them. It will help that Lundqvist will be a season-long presence and not just a deadline mercenary type addition but I don't think that angle will be all that motivating barring some sort of sparkling regular season performance from Lundqvist that turns back the clock and becomes a huge storyline.

Laviolette and his record of early tenure success remains the biggest factor for this team getting into motivated top form. That should be the single biggest difference compared to the lax and rather awkward style of Reirden as a head coach. Lundqvist could help that process further by stabilizing their options in net on the cheap but they're going to need to use that extra money on another good defender in front of him. They're going to need for some of their depth forwards to take steps and for 92/13 to be forces and leaders.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah, I guess a goalie they played against in the playoffs for over a decade who has a good relationship with some of the guys on the team and who is one of the best ambassadors and most respected players in the sport is no different than a guy whose played for five different NHL franchises, bolted to Russia, came back and played for three different teams last year, and spent all of 15 games with the Caps are totally the same thing. Thanks for correcting me on that one.

Go make a poll on the mains and ask which veteran without a Cup people want to see win the most and let me know the results. Let me know if Kovalchuk cracks the top 20 because I'd bet good money that Hank wouldn't fall out of the top 2. I suspect that the results would be the same if they polled players as well.

This isn't a group of randos on the main board. It's not even a group of random players. It's the Washington Capitals, who are captained by Alexander Ovechkin. Ovie and Kovalchuk have had a close relationship for two decades now, and Kovy was an idol to a younger Kuznetsov. These guys have played together on national teams, and there was definitely a factor of wanting not only to play with Kovalchuk in DC, but win one for him. Yet it didn't translate.

Moreover, there's a reason we still refer to it by Raymond Bourque's name, nearly 2 decades later. Because this kind of shit is super rare to happen. The only similar story since then would be Kimmo Timonen, and he barely even played for Chicago. They aren't going to magically find some other gear because they have a goalie with really nice hair and no Cup rings.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This isn't a group of randos on the main board. It's not even a group of random players. It's the Washington Capitals, who are captained by Alexander Ovechkin. Ovie and Kovalchuk have had a close relationship for two decades now, and Kovy was an idol to a younger Kuznetsov. These guys have played together on national teams, and there was definitely a factor of wanting not only to play with Kovalchuk in DC, but win one for him. Yet it didn't translate.

Moreover, there's a reason we still refer to it by Raymond Bourque's name, nearly 2 decades later. Because this kind of shit is super rare to happen. The only similar story since then would be Kimmo Timonen, and he barely even played for Chicago. They aren't going to magically find some other gear because they have a goalie with really nice hair and no Cup rings.

You don't actually think anyone else in the locker cared at all about Ilya Kovalchuk's recently renewed career in the NHL just because he's buddies with Ovi? I'm not even going to entertain the thought that players would be just as or more motivated to play with or for Kovalchuk as they would for Lundqvist because it's absurd.

And it is super rare, which is why it'd be exciting with Lundqvist. Lundqvist can and should be mentioned in the same sentence as Bourque in terms of best players to never have a won a Cup (obviously before Bourque won it) -- Kovalchuk isn't even on the radar. The entire hockey community was pulling for Ovi during the Cup run and it would be much of the same with Lundqvist. Did you hear anything at all about Kovalchuk this past year? No one cared how Kovalchuk did or how the Caps did with Kovalchuk. The storylines aren't remotely similar.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You don't actually think anyone else in the locker cared at all about Ilya Kovalchuk's recently renewed career in the NHL just because he's buddies with Ovi? I'm not even going to entertain the thought that players would be just as or more motivated to play with or for Kovalchuk as they would for Lundqvist because it's absurd.

And it is super rare, which is why it'd be exciting with Lundqvist. Lundqvist can and should be mentioned in the same sentence as Bourque in terms of best players to never have a won a Cup (obviously before Bourque won it) -- Kovalchuk isn't even on the radar. The entire hockey community was pulling for Ovi during the Cup run and it would be much of the same with Lundqvist. Did you hear anything at all about Kovalchuk this past year? No one cared how Kovalchuk did or how the Caps did with Kovalchuk. The storylines aren't remotely similar.

The notion that the locker room would get magically hyped up for Lundqvist is absurd.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think Lundqvist being a competitor and still having something left in the tank is hopefully motivating for Samsonov in particular moreso than helping the whole team (aside from Lundqvist's quality on the ice). Samsonov learning to be a professional and dealing with the spotlight is something Lundqvist is probably best suited for teaching among all of the UFA goalies on the market.

But yeah I'm not really sure Carlson or Kuznetsov or whoever is going to play any harder because Lundqvist is on the roster.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Lundqvist's presence may bring an initial boost once camp starts. After that I'm not sure it does much. It depends on how well he plays and how much he has in the tank IMO. If he's just a sauve guy on the bench most nights that's not much of factor unless he really bonds with the room. If anything maybe it ends up being best for Backstrom out of anyone. I do think he can help Samsonov a great deal if he's got the right attitude, particularly given that they may retain Murray as goaltending coach and his relative inexperience at the NHL level.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The contract that was agreed upon between the Washington Capitals and a former rival goalie on Oct 9, 2020.

What is Lundqvist for 1 year $1 million Alex?

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad