Why Not Move Perron to Center?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's a righty, he's strong on the puck, he's defensively responsible and he's played center in the past.

We could look to add a guy like Nick Ritchie at the draft who would completely change the dynamic of our top 6, if Perron makes the switch.

Ritchie-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Perron-Yakupov

The top line has our two physically weakest top 6 forwards surrounded with a big and speedy winger who plays a physical game. The 2nd line is full of average sized forwards but all of them are a handful individually.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Because Gagner is a well-rounded and responsible center and we don't have a need for another center.

(That was hard to say with a straight face)

ElFossum

Nov 19, 2013
Saskatoon SK
we could move out of the top 3 if ekblad isnt avail and draft a ritchie, while adding (hopefully) an NHL player?
I like your thinking

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
I won't say that it wouldn't work. But we had this discussion with Hall last year many times. Remember how that turned out? I am gonna put my faith in Perron, and most coaches he has ever had, that all felt he was better on the wing. He has been one of our bestplayers this year on the wing, so keep it like that. But if they do end up trying it, and it works, I will gladly eat crow.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
These kinds of experiments usually never work. Plus, I don't think Perron has the skating to be a top 6 centre.

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
Perron seems the most defence responsible player in our top six. Can he win faceoffs? Will he still be effective offensively? And any other concerns you may have that you can check off. If you can say he will as a centre then why not. You solve a big problem for the team and wingers are much easier to acquire.

I would still move Gagner bough for either a damn or a winger with some bite. I would even considering moving Eberle or Yakupov for some more size upfront in the top six or a solid #2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know, I looked at NHL.com and he might have 100 draws and appears to be batting less than 35% in his career. Not sure he screams center material to me.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't know, I looked at NHL.com and he might have 100 draws and appears to be batting less than 35% in his career. Not sure he screams center material to me.

Well faceoffs can be taught to a degree so I have little doubt that he could be as good as RNH or Gagner in draws because he is physically stronger than both.

Because he's a better winger and his foot speed isn't the highest.

He may very well be a better winger than center and I also agree that he isn't the fleetest of foot but he is defensively responsible and strong enough to make a solid C.

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
He played a bit of center early on for the Blues, think it was in 08-09. He did fine then. If it is a big need for the Oilers they might as well give it a shot. I'd think it'd probably limit his points potential to the 55-60 range versus maybe 60-65 on the wing but he'd be solid defensively.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He played a bit of center early on for the Blues, think it was in 08-09. He did fine then. If it is a big need for the Oilers they might as well give it a shot. I'd think it'd probably limit his points potential to the 55-60 range versus maybe 60-65 on the wing but he'd be solid defensively.

He'd be much more responsible than either of Hall or Eberle if we moved them there IMO. He also seems to be a guy that would do what it takes and put his team before himself IMO.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I don't really understand why some people believe that playing C is going to limit a player's point production. Other than an initial adjustment to playing the position of course.
8 of the NHL's top 11 scorers play C...so I don't get where this is coming from.

This isn't me making an argument to move Perron to C, just that offensive production shouldn't enter the discussion. It should be based on his style of game.

Good point producers can put up points at C OR wing.

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
Guess it couldn't hurt at this point. But he is having a career year right now. I say if your gonna try it, do it in TC next year

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I'll repeat what a few others have said and say he's not fast enough to be a quality center in the NHL. I'd rather keep him at wing since he has been very good there.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
So move a winger to center and add another rookie to the top six?

Yeah, that should turn out well. McDavid here we come!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'll repeat what a few others have said and say he's not fast enough to be a quality center in the NHL. I'd rather keep him at wing since he has been very good there.

He does lack in top end speed for sure, that said he would anticipate the play better than a guy like Gagner IMO.

So move a winger to center and add another rookie to the top six?

Yeah, that should turn out well. McDavid here we come!

Then the center position is solved! Brilliant thinking DD! ;)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I actually could see the Oilers dealing Perron.

To make it clear... I wouldn't trade him... but Hall and RNH are essentially untouchable. Eberle is best buds with Hall and part of the $6 million core.

Yak would likely get pennies on the dollar at this point. Gagner will possibly/likely be traded but the return will be even less than what Yak would bring.

That pretty much leaves Perron as the highest value that they would actually consider moving. Having a career year... good defensively... probably could get a solid top 4 dman for him... maybe even top 2 dman depending on what type.

Perron + Klefbom for Yandle?

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
He does lack in top end speed for sure, that said he would anticipate the play better than a guy like Gagner IMO.

Then the center position is solved! Brilliant thinking DD! ;)

What Machiavellian plot can be hatched to get a #1 D man too? If that can be pulled off as well, old Six Rings will look like a genius. :banana:

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
I actually could see the Oilers dealing Perron.

To make it clear... I wouldn't trade him... but Hall and RNH are essentially untouchable. Eberle is best buds with Hall and part of the $6 million core.

Yak would likely get pennies on the dollar at this point. Gagner will possibly/likely be traded but the return will be even less than what Yak would bring.

That pretty much leaves Perron as the highest value that they would actually consider moving. Having a career year... good defensively... probably could get a solid top 4 dman for him... maybe even top 2 dman depending on what type.

Perron + Klefbom for Yandle?

Perron has been one of the few bright spots this season. Unless he does not plan on resigning I just can't see Edmonton trading him unless they got an exceptional offer for him. We need more players like Perron.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well faceoffs can be taught to a degree so I have little doubt that he could be as good as RNH or Gagner in draws because he is physically stronger than both.

How much center did he actually play is my point? The guy has a total of a 100 or so draws in his career. To me that just shows that the guy took the draw the odd time when a guy got kicked out. I just don't see any evidence of him actually playing center at the pro ranks.
Guess it couldn't hurt at this point. But he is having a career year right now. I say if your gonna try it, do it in TC next year

I actually think it could hurt. As you stated career year, so why are we messing with a good thing? Has this team not learned anything the past 10 years. Stop forcing guys into positions they can't play. Go out and get people that are meant to play that job. If it means keeping RNH and Gagner as centers then so be it. Not sure how putting Perron at center and adding a rookie to the wing solves anything for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad