Why not just go back to the lines that worked?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
What statement is that making exactly?

That the Oilers are tanking for another high pick while subjecting kids to a losing culture?

They need to see what they have in some of those players before they lose their waiver status. I don’t think waiving guys like Manning and Gagner is sending a message that they’re tanking. How is being in a playoff spot at Xmas a losing culture? Some fresh blood might help.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
What statement is that making exactly?

That the Oilers are tanking for another high pick while subjecting kids to a losing culture?

Because it can show the rookies some of the big show, and what to build on, and some of the uninspired rosterplayers can get hungry again. And in the best case, someone of the older ones stick, Currie or Gambardella. Tell benson he get some games for play and learn, and he will get sent down after that. Even if he scores 8 goals in five games or something like that.

Reactions: Anarchism

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Trade a 3rd rounder for Ennis

Draisailt - McDavid - Kassian
Ennis - RNH - Neal
Granlund - Haas - Chiasson
Nygard - Sheahan - Archibald

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Trade a 3rd rounder for Ennis

Draisailt - McDavid - Kassian
Ennis - RNH - Neal
Granlund - Haas - Chiasson
Nygard - Sheahan - Archibald
Our 3rd for this year likely already spent. So next years.??
This stopgap measure is not within Holland's present plan. MAYBE he will adapt.
Next a couple of players are getting permanently demoted or turfed back to Europe. Then i do believe he will give both Benson and Lagesson cups of coffee to see where they are , maybe Currie too...probably both are close but will be sent back down to continue to work.....Holland probably has one or both playing full time next year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
After Christmas call up a few players.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Benson-RNH-Chaisson
Nygard-Haas-Neal
Granlund-Sheahan-Archibald

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Russel-Persson

I think that combination in the bottom six has started to show some chemistry lately. Keep them together.

Top line works.

RNH needs another offensive player to play with. Why not try Benson since he’s our best offensive prospect.

Call Persson back up. He adds more puck movement from the back and Jones isn’t as effective on the right side.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
They need to see what they have in some of those players before they lose their waiver status. I don’t think waiving guys like Manning and Gagner is sending a message that they’re tanking. How is being in a playoff spot at Xmas a losing culture? Some fresh blood might help.

It is still a losing culture because the team is 7-10-1 in the last 18 and hasn't won more then 1 in a row since Nov 24th. This isn't even bettman .500 hockey....

It sends a terrible message any time you want to dump a significant portion of your roster to the minors and call up rookies that haven't earned a spot but rather are brought up by default just to fill holes.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Put McDavid with Nuge when Draisaitl doesnt produce, and Draisaitl with Neal and Chiasson.
Then the ordinary shuffle of the bottom 6.

Its very unpleasing to be dependent on a rookies development on the LW, Benson.
The team is hit or miss depending on how he will fill out that role.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It is still a losing culture because the team is 7-10-1 in the last 18 and hasn't won more then 1 in a row since Nov 24th. This isn't even bettman .500 hockey....

It sends a terrible message any time you want to dump a significant portion of your roster to the minors and call up rookies that haven't earned a spot but rather are brought up by default just to fill holes.

Why 18 games? Why not the season? I love when people cherry pick stats to support their narrative...

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
The team is back to tire fire status. Keep the kids way from it. A cup of coffee right now serves no real purpose.
Except for the fact that he could be an answer for that 2nd line, sure no real purpose. If Yammamoto had a season last year like Bensons and a season this year like Bensons the majority of people on this site would be screaming for him to be called up. Benson had a couple injuries during his jr years that hasn't stopped him from producing above expectations for a 2nd rounder in his first 2 years of pro there is no purpose in keeping him down just because when all the wingers on the NHL team have done squat to take that final top 6 spot.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
Why 18 games? Why not the season? I love when people cherry pick stats to support their narrative...

Most coaches break the season down into 12-15 game segments. I even went above that to give the benefit of the doubt and you are still whining. Or are you foolish enough to think this teams first few games are more representative of the type of team they really are?

This has nothing to do with "narrative" and everything to do with the organization falling back down to reality which is a team that still can't make the playoffs.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
Except for the fact that he could be an answer for that 2nd line, sure no real purpose. If Yammamoto had a season last year like Bensons and a season this year like Bensons the majority of people on this site would be screaming for him to be called up. Benson had a couple injuries during his jr years that hasn't stopped him from producing above expectations for a 2nd rounder in his first 2 years of pro there is no purpose in keeping him down just because when all the wingers on the NHL team have done squat to take that final top 6 spot.

Benson isn't even producing at a point per game in the minors. What makes you think he deserves a call up on the second line of all places in the NHL?

This team has MANY problems right now. A second line winger when scoring isn't even one of the major issues isn't going to accomplish anything.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Benson isn't even producing at a point per game in the minors. What makes you think he deserves a call up on the second line of all places in the NHL?

This team has MANY problems right now. A second line winger when scoring isn't even one of the major issues isn't going to accomplish anything.
Because Benson is producing at a better clip than most guys down there. Benson kind of fits because he is more of a play maker so putting him with a shooter in Neal might work. The team needs secondary scoring, it is a need and rather than give up (which it looks like you have) the team needs to find solutions.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
Because Benson is producing at a better clip than most guys down there. Benson kind of fits because he is more of a play maker so putting him with a shooter in Neal might work. The team needs secondary scoring, it is a need and rather than give up (which it looks like you have) the team needs to find solutions.

Secondary scoring isn't even really an issue with this team at the moment. Goaltending and defense are far greater needs.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Secondary scoring isn't even really an issue with this team at the moment. Goaltending and defense are far greater needs.
I don't necessarily disagree but scoring more goals always takes pressure off the D. Kosk has been pretty solid, a couple off games but definitely should have won a couple more during this nasty stretch. Hopefully Tippet gets the team defence going again. I still believe giving Benson a shot doesn't hurt him or the team.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree but scoring more goals always takes pressure off the D. Kosk has been pretty solid, a couple off games but definitely should have won a couple more during this nasty stretch. Hopefully Tippet gets the team defence going again. I still believe giving Benson a shot doesn't hurt him or the team.

Still not buying it.

Every time there's an issue with the team a vocal minority yell that the GM should call up the farm as if it's some magical solution when in reality those players are farm hands because they aren't ready or aren't good enough to be on the big club.

Then you have the problem of this organization’s prominent history of rushing prospects which they should have learned from but still had done so for a significant period of time.

Then you have Holland who has proven that his MO is to marinate prospects in the minors.

So despite all these factors being stacked in the opposite favor of your opinion, why should Benson play on the big club? He's not exactly taking the AHL by storm right now.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Most coaches break the season down into 12-15 game segments. I even went above that to give the benefit of the doubt and you are still whining. Or are you foolish enough to think this teams first few games are more representative of the type of team they really are?

This has nothing to do with "narrative" and everything to do with the organization falling back down to reality which is a team that still can't make the playoffs.

lol....who’s whining? Someone’s a little touchy. I think taking the season as a whole is more representative than a certain segment...why do the last 18 games count more than the first 18? Most of us have known for awhile that this team had holes in the lineup. I don’t view their shortcomings as a ‘losing culture’, they just don’t have enough talent throughout the lineup. Sometimes adding some new blood picks a team up.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
lol....who’s whining? Someone’s a little touchy. I think taking the season as a whole is more representative than a certain segment...why do the last 18 games count more than the first 18? Most of us have known for awhile that this team had holes in the lineup. I don’t view their shortcomings as a ‘losing culture’, they just don’t have enough talent throughout the lineup. Sometimes adding some new blood picks a team up.

Because a team is what they are most recently. You might as well try to justify the Oilers as being the best team in the league and then pointing to the 80's as evidence. It's entirely backwards logic that holds no value. A team doesn't win the cup based on the first months play.

Some of us live in reality.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Still not buying it.

Every time there's an issue with the team a vocal minority yell that the GM should call up the farm as if it's some magical solution when in reality those players are farm hands because they aren't ready or aren't good enough to be on the big club.

Then you have the problem of this organization’s prominent history of rushing prospects which they should have learned from but still had done so for a significant period of time.

Then you have Holland who has proven that his MO is to marinate prospects in the minors.

So despite all these factors being stacked in the opposite favor of your opinion, why should Benson play on the big club? He's not exactly taking the AHL by storm right now.
Benson hasn't and isn't being rushed, and over the last 2 seasons he is one of the more productive forwards on the farm. Could he help the 2nd line right now, maybe or maybe not but that likely has more to do with RNH not being in top form right now. If he gets a shot with the big club, I highly doubt that has an adverse effect on either the club or the player. I do think the current Oiler roster needs some new blood, bringing up a farm player is the lowest risk move available.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Because a team is what they are most recently. You might as well try to justify the Oilers as being the best team in the league and then pointing to the 80's as evidence. It's entirely backwards logic that holds no value. A team doesn't win the cup based on the first months play.

Although it is very understandable, being perpetually negative isn't keeping it real lol.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
Although it is very understandable, being perpetually negative isn't keeping it real lol.

When exactly has the franchise provided any reason for positiveity in the last 15 years?

Some of us are jaded hearing the ame nonsense each year while churning out the same result.

This team is on indefinite "show me" status until things change with any form of consistency.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

lmao... what a ridiculous statement...we’re done here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad