NFL: Why Mike Tomlin isn't the problem (Steelers)

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
Why blame Tomlin when Juju made only one major mistake in his career so far? Now, I know that the fake punt was an iffy decision, but Sean Payton had no choice but to go for it on 4th & 2. However, he still had the choice to trust in his defense by settling for the field goal with all 3 timeouts after the 2 minute warning.

To support my argument, we only gave up 10 points last week, but only scored 17 against them? I think our main problem is playing consistency. At one point, we were 7-2-1 and now, we're 8-6-1. What happened ever since the Jaguars game? Oh yeah, the PLAYERS made costly mistakes and missed field goals. Furthermore, they'll always be bad/missed calls, as the referees make "mistakes" as well.

You see, the Steelers won the Super Bowl with Tomlin because of a well-rounded team. They almost beat the Packers because of the same reason. Maybe it's the way we draft or sign free agents? Also, Tomlin isn't in control of who we draft or sign, it's all management.

On an extra note, Andy Reid & Marvin Lewis are still coaching when they had little to no success in the playoffs? Yet, Tomlin lead the Steelers to the playoffs since 2013 & everyone blames the coaching staff after every single loss? Now, I hate to sound rude on here, but bandwagon much? And how long would it take for the players to adjust to a new head coach/coordinator?

Overall, NFL coaches aren't perfect, all they need is good players/coordinators and then they'll be set to win and have success.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
don't worry steelers fans, the ravens always find a way to blow their season away against ohio teams

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think Tomlin is the problem either, but he has major issues with clock management and challenges. There are also serious questions about much of his coaching staff on defense and special teams. He doesn't need to be fired, but he needs to be better.

Kevin Colbert deserves his share of the blame for the poor handling of the Bell situation along with not getting proper value from his draft slots in multiple years, particularly the Burns and Edmunds first round picks who were both drafted a round too early. They've also spent 3rd and 4th round picks on backup QB's at a time when they had a perfectly fine backup in Landry Jones instead of using those picks for something useful.

Reactions: DaveG and DoyleG

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The most fireable thing Tomlin has done was put non-NFLer Sean Spence on the field at the end of the 2017 season, with a perfectly capable LJ Fort on the roster. I will never understand it.

Oct 18, 2011
This was all preventable all they had to do was get Leveon in there and their arrogance is why they will be watching the Playoffs

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Can someone explain to me why people think Pittsburgh making the playoffs seems so far-fetched? They need to beat the Bengals at home and hope for a Ravens loss against a Browns team that has been winning games lately. It doesn't seem impossible. :huh:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Ravens are rolling and the Browns are still Browns to most people

Either way the Steelers don't control own fate so naturally that makes people expect worst and when your two division rivals are going at it in final week controlling fate it adds to despair

As Bear fan it is how I felt in 2012 when Bears won and improved to 10-6 and needed GB to beat Vikes only to watch GB play like shit and Vikes win game on game ending FG

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Can someone explain to me why people think Pittsburgh making the playoffs seems so far-fetched? They need to beat the Bengals at home and hope for a Ravens loss against a Browns team that has been winning games lately. It doesn't seem impossible. :huh:

its really not at all

they're not going to lose to the bengals without dalton and the ravens have a history of choking their season away at the hands of ohio teams

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They probably have a 90% chance of beating the Bengals and the Browns have a 30% chance of beating the Ravens. So maybe a 27% shot? Seems about right.

Its unlikely, but not a "miracle" as was the term thrown around here a few times.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
One issue that has dogged Tomlin in recent years is this perception the Steelers play down to opponents

We here at HF certainly say it often not sure if the stats prove it true but for some reason under him the Steelers come out flat vs opponents that teams like Pats for example consistently walk over

Over years they have had some bad losses like that year they lost to bottom feeding Lovie Smith Bucs and Rex Ryan Jets and I believe season before they missed playoffs with some losses to teams that they had no business losing against

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
One issue that has dogged Tomlin in recent years is this perception the Steelers play down to opponents

We here at HF certainly say it often not sure if the stats prove it true but for some reason under him the Steelers come out flat vs opponents that teams like Pats for example consistently walk over

Over years they have had some bad losses like that year they lost to bottom feeding Lovie Smith Bucs and Rex Ryan Jets and I believe season before they missed playoffs with some losses to teams that they had no business losing against

This is what's so frustrating about the team. I can live with the fact that they lost a tough game against the Saints. But losing to the Raiders is inexcusable. This habit of losing to the bottom-feeders has been going on for the last few seasons.

I don't know if it's overconfidence or just looking ahead to a bigger game the next week. Either way, it's the job of the head coach to make sure the players are focused on their opponent.

I don't want Tomlin to be fired. All things considered, the team has played well over the last decade. But if this habit of bungling easy wins continues, I might be more open to the idea of making some changes.

Reactions: m9

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Butler sucks and this is incredibly dumb.

To further this - Eifert was already hurt when Butler "prepared" for the Bengals this year.

This is what being way too comfortable is. He doesn't care because he knows that Tomlin will fall on the sword if they lose.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There's excuses every damn year. Eventually there has to be some semblance of accountability.

The Steelers have consistently failed to take lesser foes on the schedule seriously for years, and that outright cost them a playoff berth this year. Beat Oakland or Denver and suddenly the season doesn't come down to winning on the road to a 12-2 team.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I don't think Big Ben was very good this season [admittedly, he had a smattering of excellent games] and I expect him to regress further next year

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If Tomlin can be a good coach, it will have to be somewhere else. He's reached his sell by date in Pittsburgh. The locker room has spiraled out of control, and he's most responsible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad