NFL: Why Mike Tomlin isn't the problem (Steelers)

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Tomlin has let the inmates run the asylum in Pittsburgh.
He's a good coach, if the Steelers let him go some other team will snatch him up within 24 hours.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Let me guess- some random no-name will magically fix the Steelers' locker room

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think anyone can control that locker room at this point. Tomlin never had a problem managing personalities until some of the goofs they have now reared their heads

Ben is a big whiny *****, Brown has the ego size to match his talent, and then there's guys like Bell when he was around.

While i absolutely do not have any doubts in Tomlin's coaching ability (still hasn't posted a winning season in the 11 seasons he's been their coach), i do wonder if the Steelers would benefit from a change to a guy who could actually drop their hammer on their antics. Tomlin would almost certainly be getting phone calls within hours of getting fired if they ever did go that route.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I don't think anyone can control that locker room at this point. Tomlin never had a problem managing personalities until some of the goofs they have now reared their heads

Ben is a big whiny *****, Brown has the ego size to match his talent, and then there's guys like Bell when he was around.

While i absolutely do not have any doubts in Tomlin's coaching ability (still hasn't posted a winning season in the 11 seasons he's been their coach), i do wonder if the Steelers would benefit from a change to a guy who could actually drop their hammer on their antics. Tomlin would almost certainly be getting phone calls within hours of getting fired if they ever did go that route.

:laugh:

What do you mean "Tomlin never had a problem managing personalities?" He never managed them at all. If anything, he enabled guys like Bell and Brown.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Let me guess- some random no-name will magically fix the Steelers' locker room

The coach who enabled the locker room issues is never the same coach who fixes them. No one can say for certain that the next coach would fix those problems, but we know for sure Tomlin won't.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Tomlin may have enabled those stars but he also helped turn them into stars.

Just watched Tomlin's end of year presser, and it's clear that the team isn't happy with Brown and there will be more to this story. I think Brown's probably back next year, but it's no guarantee. Also I would be shocked if there aren't some big coaching changes coming.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Mike Tomlin isn't THE problem, but he is A problem.

He can't manage the locker room, and has never been able to. He has loyalty to some bad defensive coaches (Particularly the embarrassment that is Joey Porter), and he just lets the players run the team. I have a hard time believing there is any player on the team's roster that legitimately respects Tomlin as a coach.

They may respect his position, they may respect him as a person, but I can't imagine that guys in the locker room observe the situations of AB/Bell/Wallace/Bryant/Harrison and have respect for him as a coach the way that players respect a coach like Belichick.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
If Tomlin can be a good coach, it will have to be somewhere else. He's reached his sell by date in Pittsburgh. The locker room has spiraled out of control, and he's most responsible.

If they had been winning a couple of SB's i'd get all the ego in the room but they haven't won shit with this core which makes it all the more funny that they are so out of control.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Rooneys have employed 3 coaches in the last 50 years, one of which is Tomlin. It took Cowher 13 seasons to win the big one; with any other owner he would have been canned before 10. They are incredibly patient people and while they dont like the headlines, I'm sure itll blow over and they will be fine next season.

Sep 19, 2008
He literally is NOT the issue

He had two divas on his team which are nearly traded or could be released

His team would be better off without those two distractions

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Rooneys have employed 3 coaches in the last 50 years, one of which is Tomlin. It took Cowher 13 seasons to win the big one; with any other owner he would have been canned before 10. They are incredibly patient people and while they dont like the headlines, I'm sure itll blow over and they will be fine next season.

They also cre4ated the stupid identity politics rule, nobody said they were geniuses. But I also think that the 90's was a different time. To Cowher's defense they never had a QB. He overachieved with a guy like NEIL f***ing O'DONNELL and Jordell Stewart.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
He literally is NOT the issue

He had two divas on his team which are nearly traded or could be released

His team would be better off without those two distractions

But he also does nothing to move the needle. Hes a silent enabler for the most part. This is the same org that last year ripped on a vet for being the only guy at Chicago to come out for the anthem. Tomlin flip flopped on the whole situation.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They will also get 10 million + in extra cap space due to Bell sitting out this season.

It's around 15 million. They are fine for cap space, it is zero issue in terms of trading Brown.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They will also get 10 million + in extra cap space due to Bell sitting out this season.

The window is about closed for them. The Browns are rising and Big Ben is about 100. They'll lose two diva's maybe in Brown and certainly Bell. I'm not sure Ben's heart is in it. He could be a better leader and team player. They could use a more disciplined coach. That team just has no leadership. Ben's ego is the size of his body. Wasn't this the team that thought a couple of years ago that going for 2 was statistically better than kicking the new long XP? Wasn't this the same team who said that it would be the first team to average 30 points a game? Wasn't this the same team where the QB talked retirement after a 5 pick game? They've been full of chatter but can't handle negative publicity. The mishap in Oakland with waiting to put Ben back in? Is that on Tomlin or did Ben not want to go back in? Regardless it's a leadership issue with how it transpired. These clowns are celebrating a failing faked punt attempt. They're a show like the Harlem Globetrotters but not as successful.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
In the last 50 years the worst streak of missing the playoffs they've had is 4 years (Knolls later years when he had no QB). Steelers are one of this organizations that stay good, even after Ben retires I don't see them struggling for a long period of time.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad