Why isn't Kessel scoring more goals this season?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Kessel's one of my favourite players in the league (I like P. Kane most - but after that it's a revolving door of Kessel/Tavares/Stamkos).

Maybe I was being naive, but i honestly thought Kessel would score, like, 40 goals this season. He's currently on pace for about 25.

Why isn't he scoring more this season?

He's approx PPG this season - so it's not like his production is bad or anything. But i'm just wondering why he isn't scoring more goals.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He seems to have taken on quite a playmaking role in Pittsburgh. He has always been a great playmaker but it doesn't seem he trys to snipe it nearly as often anymore.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
He's pulling up at the blueline looking for a trailer, instead of rushing the zone and firing on net like he used to.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He's a really well rounded offensive player. His playmaking abilities have always been downplayed in his Toronto days because he was the one driving the play and more or less had to do it all himself.

Playing with Malkin, it's just that he's giving as much as he's taking in my opinion.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Your favorite player should be scoring more goals himself, also only has 10....

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He seems to have taken on quite a playmaking role in Pittsburgh. He has always been a great playmaker but it doesn't seem he trys to snipe it nearly as often anymore.

yeah i agree with that - he's very underrated as a playmaker - but, still...i'm surprised he hasn't scored more goals this season.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Plays a more complete offensive game now that he doesn't have to be the one scoring all the goals. He'll pass up outside shots he once would take in favor of creating better quality shots.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A mix of deferring too much to Geno when on his line and getting weighed down by Hagelin and Bonino being in poor form when on a line with them. That and his floppy stick breaking on him from time to time :laugh:

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
In addition to what others have said he's not really the primary shooter on the PP either.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kessel's always been a bit of a volume shooter. If you look at his career shooting percentages, it's usually in the 10% to 12% range. But in year's past, he'd take close to 300 shots. This year he's shooting at 11.9%, which is around what he usually shoots, but he's taking much less shots.

It seems like he's acting the playmaker more this year. Part of it is when he's on a line with Malkin, he seems to defer to him (arguably too much). Part of it is the PP tends to go through Sid, Geno, or Letang, with Kessel being more of a passing option on that left half boards.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
1. He does not have a one timer
2. The twig he uses would break if he did

Seriously, he seems to score off the rush, but becomes more a playmaker once they set up in the O-zone; and as DD alluded to, when entering the zone he seems more inclined to set up than attack the net much of the time.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
He is finally on a more well-rounded line where he doesn't necessarily need to finish the play. And isn't the go to finisher on the PP.

Simple as that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Still a very productive player this year. I think he will be one of those players that will turn it up a notch as we near the playoffs, he has always been a player that plays his best when the games are most important.

It's a bonus the Pens are only playing 6.8 of the 8.0M salary, really paid off last year and for years to come no doubt.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
But he's only one dimensional! How's he still scoring if his one dimension is gone? It simply defies logic! :sarcasm:

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Many leaf fans have claimed for years that Kessel is a terrific playmaker. Normally these skills were unnoticed by most fans outside of Toronto due to him being the "go-to-guy" who had to shoot. But his passing is terrific and has been very underrated.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Unless Kapanen comes in to make an impact at the NHL level, that will go down as one of the more lopsided trades of all time. Especially considering Phil won a Cup in Pittsburgh.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
HBK has been bad this season and when playing with Malkin he can set Malkin up sometimes instead of always being the shooter. Keeps teams guessing.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
In addition to having better passing options, it is important to remember that Phil is a very streaky player. He would often go 10 games without scoring and then score 5 in 5. He'll have a monster January or March or something and probably break 30 for the year again.

Unless Kapanen comes in to make an impact at the NHL level, that will go down as one of the more lopsided trades of all time. Especially considering Phil won a Cup in Pittsburgh.

Kappy is coming along great, and the 1st was a huge part of landing our #1 goalie. We're quite happy with the trade, thanks.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Kessel first 17 games: 4 goals, 2.12 SOG/game
Kessel last 15 games: 6 goals, 3.07 SOG/game

Kessel had an offseason hand surgery and he wasn't shooting the puck much early in the season. Lately he's been using his shot more like he's used to and results are already showing.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
He is finally showing he has a good overall player on a team where he does not need to the best on the ice. Another thing he has proven is he will never be a guy who can carry a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad