Why isn't Adam Oates in the HHOF?

ZMan17

LGI
Nov 20, 2010
Tel Aviv
If there's been threads about this before, sorry.

While I was a bit too young to actually see him play (in his prime at least), from everything I've heard, read and seen about him I really can't understand why he isn't in the HHOF. I mean, he 1420 points in 1327 games, 90+ assists twice, 6th all-time in assists and 7th in ppg in regular season and was also apparantly a clean player, so am I missing something? I never heard about him not getting along with the press or anything, so I'm pretty much clueless. Anyone have any ideas why he still isn't in?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Because the selection panel is not a good selection panel.

Kevin Lowe was four votes from being inducted last time around. What?

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Every time Adam Oates' HHOF worth is brought into question, I like to bring this up:

Adam Oates scroring finishes: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 7th, 10th, 10th
Steve Yzerman scoring finishes: 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 7th, 10th

On topic: I have no idea.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

How do you know that? The committee is supposed to be very tight lipped on this type of thing. It is supposed to be a private vote. Do you know a member of the 18 panel committee that told you this? Seriously, do you?

By the way, that would be short sighted to add Lowe into the HHOF. Too many arguments against him getting in there.

Anyway, Oates should be in by now. There are people who would assume Roenick had a better career and the main reason for that is because Roenick was better in tune with the media. Overall, Oates had the better career but you'd never know it

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I'm wondering if there's someone influential on the panel who has it in for Oates a bit.

The HHOF selection committee is way too small, and given their backgrounds and personal relationships way too susceptible to the potential of a few strong, respected voices controlling the process.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Every time Adam Oates' HHOF worth is brought into question, I like to bring this up:

Adam Oates scroring finishes: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 7th, 10th, 10th
Steve Yzerman scoring finishes: 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 7th, 10th

On topic: I have no idea.

I think Oates should be in but in no way was he nearly as good as Stevie Y, who IMO gets a bit overrated sometimes on these boards but was flat out great during his playing days.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
He should be in, but:

1). His reputation was a guy who was in it for money, no to win. Feuded with multiple GMs, holdouts, demanded trades, etc.

2) No Cups, which makes #1 look worse.

3) Generally a quiet and/or grumpy guy with the media

4) given the HHoF panel is basically NHL insiders and media members, the fact that Oates wasn't particularly like by either GMs or the media hurts him, despite the fact that he was clearly a better player than some guys already inducted

Ogopogo*

Because he doesn't have enough friends on the voting committee. That is his downfall as a player - he could take some notes from Dick Duff.

Ogopogo*

There are 17 people on the committee. 4 votes away is a very wide margin. I think they need 75% approval thus, 13 votes.

If Lowe was 4 votes away he got 9/17 or only 53%. That isn't very close.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He should be in, but:

1). His reputation was a guy who was in it for money, no to win. Feuded with multiple GMs, holdouts, demanded trades, etc.

4) given the HHoF panel is basically NHL insiders and media members, the fact that Oates wasn't particularly like by either GMs or the media hurts him, despite the fact that he was clearly a better player than some guys already inducted

And there is the answer.

Well stated.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
I'm wondering if there's someone influential on the panel who has it in for Oates a bit.

The HHOF selection committee is way too small, and given their backgrounds and personal relationships way too susceptible to the potential of a few strong, respected voices controlling the process.

I'm thrilled Larionov is now a member and thought the committee needed at least one Russian member for some time.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
People also don't know what they're talking about in general in regards to Adam Oates. Numerous times I've heard the media compare him to compilers, as someone who was nothing special but managed to compile decent numbers. They really don't have a ****ing clue.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
You could argue that not having a SC is holding him back

Stastny, Perreault, Park, Ullman, Sittler, Salming, Ratelle, Gilbert, Dionne, Hawerchuk, Lafontaine, etc...............as for goalies you've got Giacomin and Esposito if you don't want to count a third stringer role in 1969. Chris Dingman has more rings combined than that group. Who would you induct into the HHOF?

Bottom line is this. Oates was a fine playoff performer. That wasn't his downfall at all. He had a better career than Lafontaine for sure. Even in Lafontaine's best season (1993) Oates was only 6 points behind him. Oates also had a string of about 5 years where he was among top players in the game. Then even after that he was always a very relevant playmaker, leading the NHL in assists twice late in his career.

He was quiet though. That's his downfall. He didn't do commercials, he didn't offer up a classic sound bite.

I will go as far as saying that out of those above names I posted (non-goalies) he is at least on par, if not better, than Sittler, Lafontaine and Gilbert. He's close to a few others there too. I mean when is the HHOF going to cut him some slack?

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
He should be in, but:

I came to post "Because he was a jerk" but you put it better than I did.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Downfall

Stastny, Perreault, Park, Ullman, Sittler, Salming, Ratelle, Gilbert, Dionne, Hawerchuk, Lafontaine, etc...............as for goalies you've got Giacomin and Esposito if you don't want to count a third stringer role in 1969. Chris Dingman has more rings combined than that group. Who would you induct into the HHOF?

Bottom line is this. Oates was a fine playoff performer. That wasn't his downfall at all. He had a better career than Lafontaine for sure. Even in Lafontaine's best season (1993) Oates was only 6 points behind him. Oates also had a string of about 5 years where he was among top players in the game. Then even after that he was always a very relevant playmaker, leading the NHL in assists twice late in his career.

He was quiet though. That's his downfall. He didn't do commercials, he didn't offer up a classic sound bite.

I will go as far as saying that out of those above names I posted (non-goalies) he is at least on par, if not better, than Sittler, Lafontaine and Gilbert. He's close to a few others there too. I mean when is the HHOF going to cut him some slack?

Downfall. All the bolded names you list have one thing in common. They were the best or amongst the top 2 players on their team(s) year in year out. This is not the case for Oates unless injuries removed a star Oates would be 3rd. Such players unless they contribute to team success are viewed as piggy backing the star players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad