Why isn't Adam Oates in the HHOF?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Too small of a sample size 19 games, has to be somewhere close to half a season to draw any conclusions from. It is hard to tell how good he was really during that 3 year stretch, however most people think he is better than Adam Oates, I'm fairly sure he ranks higher on an all-time list, and I think that is just wrong as far as I can see.

Being a lesser player than Bure is not an insult no, but if I were to do a poll stating, "Based on what they actually accomplished, who was the better goalscorer/player?" I have a good feeling Brett would win both 3 to 1, when the reality of it is, Bure was the slightly better player when looking at the bulk of their better/best seasons in proper context. It is fairly close I might add, but when comparing them Hull's career totals will be brought up, which favour him very well for a few obvious reasons. Bure gets flack for his defense, but what did Hull do defensively? What was he capable of doing other than getting open and firing a shot in back of the net? (not like this is a bad thing) What other type of player is going to benefit more from the 2 second best pure playmaker of the time?

Didn't Hull become defensively responsible in Dallas and Detroit? You pretty much had to be to play the systems of those teams.

Infinite Vision*

Didn't Hull become defensively responsible in Dallas and Detroit? You pretty much had to be to play the systems of those teams.

I really don't think he had much of a defensive role. I mean, how could he with how slow he was? I'm going to be honest, Brett Hull was good at one thing, and as far as I know it's mainly all he's been responsible for.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Yes. He was never great defensively, but he became responsible. Hitchcock famously made a deal with Hull - he wouldn't make Hull practice hard like the rest of the team, if Hull bought into his defensive system

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Oates will get in eventually-and should already be in. Such an underrated player. Def. the best eligible person (off the top of my head).

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I'll say it.

Craig Janney was one of the best pure playmakers of all time. The guy was slick.

He just didn't have enough other stuff and had crazy personal issues courtesy of his teammate. ;)

I'll 2nd that, Janney was a poor mans Oates who is underrated a bit I think due to his lack of other positive attributes, other than his playmaking skills, and his demise as a player thanks to some teamates in his cookie jar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad