Why isn’t Lindros in the HHOF?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He should.

Teams started to pick irrational players in the first round because of him.

realisticTORfan

Nov 17, 2014
based on numbers alone most definitely he should get in. the type of impact he had on the game albeit in his limited healthy years cannot be questioned. he was top 20 all time in PPG and top 30 in GPG and was a physical force that is rarely seen with his skillset, whether he was a good person or bad. his reasons for choosing not to play for a specific team should ,at the end of the day, have no bearing on his induction. he wouldnt be the first or last great athlete to have his personality questioned.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yup. He belongs, Skate Gazer or not, nonsense within the NHLPA aside, a force, one of the greatest players at peak to have played.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yes. And we are starting to get to the point where leaving him out is just silly. I think the voters have made their point. Time to do the right thing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, he should be there.

When you talk about the most important players in the sport in the 1990s, he's in the top 3.

He was a very polarizing guy, so fair enough leaving the dust to settle for a few years, but he should be going in soon. Probably the biggest omission now next to Makarov.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Yes, long overdue.

The so-called 'character issues' are way overblown. Guy was arrogant, not a wife-beater.

Blargh

Nov 16, 2011
Lindros was one of the most dominant players in the game during the 1990s. Take a five year span from him during that time and compare it to the best 5 year span of every player in the HHOF. How many current HHOFers best 5 year span would you take over Lindros? Way less than half I bet. He was one of the most dominating players in the game for 5 or 6 seasons before injuries took their toll. So it's not like he lost it and faded away without cause, leaving his good years looking like a fluke.
Lindros is a yes for the HHOF.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I'll remember him for good and bad, so yeah he belongs. Kind of reminds me of The Flower. Like a comet, he passed through the NHL at great speed and force and then quickly flickered out.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Judging from a pure peak/impact perspective, yes he should. As far as I'm concerned Bure being inducted was righting a wrong. Lindros should be next.

Copmuter*

Averaged 1.36 PPG with the Flyers

Only Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Crosby and Orr have a higher career average

The Hall of Fame was established to recognize players like Lindros

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
He is an iconic player. Leaving him out would be ignoring a part of the history of the game, regardless of how deserving or undeserving people feel he is.
I can see leaving someone out for punitive reasons (or kicked out as per Alan eagleson)...but he's done nothing that should put him in that category. It is the Hall of Fame being considered after all, not Sainthood.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
okay so we all agree that eric should be in.

but does anybody agree with me that i don't mind watching him sweat for another few years, knowing that he'll get his due soon enough?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
okay so we all agree that eric should be in.

but does anybody agree with me that i don't mind watching him sweat for another few years, knowing that he'll get his due soon enough?

I have no problem seeing him wait a few more years either. Granted, he should get in, his impact and his great seasons (when you puzzle them together) are good enough. But I have no issue seeing him wait 5 more years, just to make a point.

They did it with Adam Oates, Gilmour, Anderson. Oates the media just didn't like because he didn't roll out the red carpet for them. Gilmour, well, I think the St. Louis accusations alone are the reason he had to wait. Anderson? I don't know, it doesn't look good that right at the moment you are eligible to be inducted an ex-fling is demanding years of child support payment dating back to 1989. They made him wait almost a decade.

So it is obvious the HHOF penalizes you because of bad behaviour but it is also obvious they make an example and still eventually let you in. So Lindros will get in, and should. Even though, I have to admit I'm not sure seeing Eric get his way one more time is fulfilling.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
So it is obvious the HHOF penalizes you because of bad behaviour but it is also obvious they make an example and still eventually let you in. So Lindros will get in, and should. Even though, I have to admit I'm not sure seeing Eric get his way one more time is fulfilling.

Well maybe relatively recently because of our increased awareness of numerous social issues, but Hull and Lafleur got in on the first ballot and they have quite an assortment of storied off ice behavior. Not to mention some of the first inductees such as Shore, etc...I think the guys you mentioned were going to have to wait anyway.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Well maybe relatively recently because of our increased awareness of numerous social issues, but Hull and Lafleur got in on the first ballot and they have quite an assortment of storied off ice behavior. Not to mention some of the first inductees such as Shore, etc...I think the guys you mentioned were going to have to wait anyway.

Hull, Lafleur, and Shore were also generational talents

It's the more borderline guys who are usually kept out by "character" stuff (another reason why the Ciccarelli induction was so strange)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad