WJC: Why is sweden so poor at international junior level?

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Blaming coaches, systems, quality of players... if those were the problems they would be visible in the prelim rounds too against top teams, but Sweden consistently loses in the playoff rounds or finals. Perhaps there is some kind of a problem with mental side, mentality, "winning culture" etc.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They're not. They're on a 48 game winning streak.

They've just lost the wrong games. Part of that is them coming up short, but a large part of that is luck.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
They don't get lot of Golds, but the development of their juniors for the past few years have been doing really well in NHL.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Without getting into a political debate... and this is purely on my trips up there in recent years (Malmo, Stockholm, Gothenburg).

I realize Sweden is still producing great players, but as a whole I feel like this issue might be more cultural and systemic going forwards than just bad luck in tournaments and we'll start seeing the decline of Swedish hockey over the next decade. We'll still see great players but I think they'll be fewer and farther in between as Sweden as a whole changes and puts emphasis on different cultural touchstones.

I'm heading back up there for the u18's, so that'll grant some insight. Especially hockey at the younger levels.
I agree, sadly we import too many immigrants that are not interested in hockey.

Reactions: greasysnapper

blindpass

May 7, 2010
My take is Sweden has an incredibly high floor as a team almost every year. They're always going to be consistent, competitive, structured and team oriented, but sometimes they lack that dynamic element on offense. No one can compete with their D, but their forwards are almost too structured, too disciplined, not enough deployment of skill and dynamism. Maybe Raymond, Gunler, Holtz can try and change this, but i think its just theyre always good because theyre structured and disciplined, but to beat the best, sometimes that structure and discipline bites them and holds them back a bit in a tournament where you need to play hot, and it's do or die right now.
This describes this year, bit bit other recent years.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Sweden barely produced any talent between 1980-1987 age groups. The recent improvement in training and coaching is quite remarkable. There was some poor luck/coaching keeping the team from winning in 2014 and 2018 (and arguably, it was quite a lot of luck in the win in 2012 with an OT winner). Small margins and all of that, specially for a country with such a relatively small player base.

If Finland hadn’t had an incredible coach in 2014, or Canada would have less power plays in 2018, we would probably not have this discussion. I don’t think some lucky bounces in two games is the difference between a great or bad junior program.

Sweden now is the third most represented country in the NHL. The 2010’s finally saw Swedish rookies contest for the Calder, after only Zetterberg being nominated previous decade. In 2003 only 1 Swede was taken in the first round, since 2010 there are on average more than that taken in the top 10.

Some bad age groups in a row now does not change that fact.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Coaching is part of the problem imo, Grönborg, Monten and Mårts are all very passive and leave alot to the players. You will always see them with their arms crossed behind the bench.

When things gets tough in an important game on junior level I really believe it's a huge plus for the players to have a more proactive coach behind the bench, someone to give clear direction and someone who can change things up. Sweden won with Rönnberg who's certainly alot more in the game and he'll go around the bench and talk to players.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well our juniors don't have any memories of Masken Carlsson or Sundin so they're not burdened by such memories but instead have witnessed us winning gold at Worlds in 2011 , WJC gold in 2014 and 2016 plus two U-18 WJC golds, so they just know they can win. Swedes don't have that mental advantage anymore.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Sweden barely produced any talent between 1980-1987 age groups. The recent improvement in training and coaching is quite remarkable. There was some poor luck/coaching keeping the team from winning in 2014 and 2018 (and arguably, it was quite a lot of luck in the win in 2012 with an OT winner). Small margins and all of that, specially for a country with such a relatively small player base.

If Finland hadn’t had an incredible coach in 2014, or Canada would have less power plays in 2018, we would probably not have this discussion. I don’t think some lucky bounces in two games is the difference between a great or bad junior program.

Sweden now is the third most represented country in the NHL. The 2010’s finally saw Swedish rookies contest for the Calder, after only Zetterberg being nominated previous decade. In 2003 only 1 Swede was taken in the first round, since 2010 there are on average more than that taken in the top 10.

Some bad age groups in a row now does not change that fact.

What was the luck in that game? Dominating and outshooting 58 to 17?

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
What was the luck in that game? Dominating and outshooting 58 to 17?

It is an 1-0 OT game. It is 1 shot/save away from Sweden having another silver. It is silly to only judge success on 3 best of 1 games (all of which were 1 goal affairs). The difference between 3 gold medals and 3 silvers are within the margin of error (same goes for Finland’ s 3 golds, all 1 goal affairs).

Reactions: canswetoxic

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
They blow their load in the round robin. Nothing left in the tank for elimination games. It's like sprinting the first 100 yards of a marathon.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
It is an 1-0 OT game. It is 1 shot/save away from Sweden having another silver. It is silly to only judge success on 3 best of 1 games (all of which were 1 goal affairs). The difference between 3 gold medals and 3 silvers are within the margin of error (same goes for Finland’ s 3 golds, all 1 goal affairs).
Sweden was undefeated in 2012 so gtfo with your logic that our only gold was luck.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Sweden was undefeated in 2012 so gtfo with your logic that our only gold was luck.

Pick up a statistics book. A one-goal game can easily swing the other way, specially when it goes to OT. Sweden losing in 2012 as well as winning in 2008, 2014 and 2018 are within the margin of error. And since Sweden has their undefeated group stage streak going, they were 1 goal/save from being undefeated in those tournaments as well.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
ehh, small sample size. They look amazing. Team speed and strength is off the charts. Hockey IQ is very good. They have lacked pure snipers, though their Dmen are offensively talented.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Honestly, this is one of the most interesting statistical anomalies in sports. To be so unbeatable in the preliminary round, and then to be so pedestrian in the elimination games is perplexing to say the least. I wish I could give you an answer as to why, but I really have no idea. :dunno:
Reminds me of Capitals. Caps eventually won, Sweden one a few years ago too.

Reactions: Statsy

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They just tend to choke a lot at this level due to their mental toughness being really low compared to most of the other top teams at this tourney most years.

It's all between the ears with them at the junior level.

Reactions: illone84

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
They just tend to choke a lot at this level due to their mental toughness being really low compared to most of the other top teams at this tourney most years.

They are lacking some finish.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017

I think we (Im a Swede) work to develop our players in this home grown specific Swedish style. At juinor level it is what it is and there is a very effective system at place, most games are won. Yet there is comfortability that comes whit it and I think the best youth players get to comfortable and have problems when they need to work hard and rise to the next level in do or die games. They are spoiled , that is the best way to put it.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They are lacking some finish.
Or Finnish maybe?;)

It's a valid critique of their junior teams, of course some years it's all down to bounces that go your way that make the slight difference between winning and losing and some years your goalie being a stinker or just not as good as your competitors in a one off winner take all gamethat costs you and some years there is just a clear cut better team but where there is smoke there is fire and with the round robin results they have had for so many years now with only a single gold to show for it you know there is a hell of a lot of smoke.

Last year pretty much sealed the deal for me with how their players responded in terms of whining and throwing the silver medal in the stands and stuff, they just don't have that proper winning mentality at this thing yet, they need to address that fast.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think we (Im a Swede) work to develop our players in this home grown specific Swedish style. At juinor level it is what it is and there is a very effective system at place, most games are won. Yet there is comfortability that comes whit it and I think the best youth players get to comfortable and have problems when they need to work hard and rise to the next level in do or die games. They are spoiled , that is the best way to put it.
Could very well be.

I'm always impressed with the Swedish teams game plan/ tactics, skill level, team cohesion at this thing yet they almost always disappoint me in the must win games, they seem to have a hard time bearing down and give up and get frustrated too much when they go down a couple of goals or things don't go their way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad