WJC: Why is sweden so poor at international junior level?

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Or Finnish maybe?;)

It's a valid critique of their junior teams, of course some years it's all down to bounces that go your way that make the slight difference between winning and losing and some years your goalie being a stinker or just not as good as your competitors in a one off winner take all gamethat costs you and some years there is just a clear cut better team but where there is smoke there is fire and with the round robin results they have had for so many years now with only a single gold to show for it you know there is a hell of a lot of smoke.

Last year pretty much sealed the deal for me with how their players responded in terms of whining and throwing the silver medal in the stands and stuff, they just don't have that proper winning mentality at this thing yet, they need to address that fast.
Somewhat agree whit this, yet there is not much that make me more leary than a "hollier than thou" -Canadian telling others what to do after his own team was eliminated in the QF-s too. Team Canada is as stacked whit spoiled brats as Swedens is.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Somewhat agree whit this, yet there is not much that make me more leary than a "hollier than thou" -Canadian telling others what to do after his own team was eliminated in the QF-s too. Team Canada is as stacked whit spoiled brats as Swedens is.

This isn't A Canadian holier then thou telling you anything that isn't true though, and even if it was, is it any more annoying then holier then thou Swedish fans(and there are plenty on here that have been quite vocal about it) lecturing us on Max Comtois diving?

Just look at it straight and objectively is all i ask, if you do that we will get along fine.

Back to the point, you could tell the difference in terms of mental toughness in yesterdays gold medal game, when the U.S got down 2-0 they immediately dug their heels in and tied it right back up..............they didn't give up. And take The Finnish team, when the penalty calls got to 5-1 in the U.S favour at one point they didn't get down on the whole deal, they simply kept battling until their work resulted in something breaking positively for them. Both scenarios I just described usually crush most Swedish entries at this thing, they break down right away and then you know you have got them, they become a soft,easy touch to take out.

You just watch the games and you can tell the difference, they need to work something out on that problem to turn all this underachieving into better results, they are being silly if they don't address it

Sweden is far too good a Hockey country to not want to face facts and do something about it instead of putting their heads in the sand about the issue and keep having their teams flatline like this all the time when the big games happen.

Last edited:

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Or Finnish maybe?;)

It's a valid critique of their junior teams, of course some years it's all down to bounces that go your way that make the slight difference between winning and losing and some years your goalie being a stinker or just not as good as your competitors in a one off winner take all gamethat costs you and some years there is just a clear cut better team but where there is smoke there is fire and with the round robin results they have had for so many years now with only a single gold to show for it you know there is a hell of a lot of smoke.

Last year pretty much sealed the deal for me with how their players responded in terms of whining and throwing the silver medal in the stands and stuff, they just don't have that proper winning mentality at this thing yet, they need to address that fast.
Maybe America has winning culture and Finland has sisu. Canada has history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Maybe America has Trump culture / winning culture and Finland has sisu. Canada has history.
So this is a "gloat"thread? Is the OP from Finland? I have been fooled. Well good for the Finns to get a little success before they come over to the NHL and mostly fail there.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Sweden seems to lack high-end forward prospects. The d-men usually don't score overtime goals. Finland is producing top-forwards year after year and that has been the biggest reason for incredible success in both u18 and u20 level. It is not just our team-play and coaching but the quality of scoring goals when it matters.

And im not saying this to be arrogant, just saying things as they are in my opinion.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
As far as I know, they changed the junior system completely just a year or two ago, as a result of their struggles. But of course the results of the new system won't be seen right away. Maybe in a couple of years?

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Jantelagen dictates that no one is allowed to stand out, I guarantee that this makes many kids with raw talent stagnate in their development, compared to kids from other nations.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Hockey is a small sport in Sweden and its getting smaller. The amount of talent and the depth is probably a testament to good management of what talent we have but if Swedish hockey is going to get better the foundation needs to grow.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Jantelagen dictates that no one is allowed to stand out, I guarantee that this makes many kids with raw talent stagnate in their development, compared to kids from other nations.
Jantelagen is a myth, died decades ago. Now we are as liberal as it gets and its all for themselves.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe they should save some wins for the medal round.

They just need to find a way to win more knockout games, and they are certainly capable of it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Wikipedia, the population of Sweden is 9.98 million. There's almost that many people in Toronto.

So in producing high-end hockey players they're batting way above their weight.

Reactions: feffan

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
What a perfect thread for people to recast history in the light of their personal prejudice :thumbu:

Personally, I do not remember much specifics before last years WJC.

In 17/18 Sweden had strong talent and could have won gold without doubt. They had really bad luck with referees and solving Carter Hart in the finals, otherwise they have dominated the ice for most of the game. I do not recall them getting discouraged by unfavorable calls and falling behind, they kept playing hard. I was very impressed. Of course we all remember how they broke down after the loss, but that doesn't make their on ice performance any less impressive. If it was best of 7, I think Sweden would have won that 4-1 or 4-2 judging by the finals performance.

In 18/19, Sweden did not have the talent to fight for the gold. Very strong D group, barely average F group. Similar team to Finland in 17/18 (which also coincidentally got bounced in 1/4 finals). Overachieving in the preliminary stage set false expectations IMO.

In the last 10 years five countries (USA, Finland, Canada, Sweden and Russia) have split 10 gold medals amongst them - average of 2. With such low average it's inevitable that some countries should get more and some less than average just based on luck.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
They build players very NA in mind. The grinding along the boards, safe neutral zone plays.
Hence why you see so many Swedish players do well in NHL playoffs

But when it comes to open ice, it's different at that stage. It's a lot of skating

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I agree, sadly we import too many immigrants that are not interested in hockey.

I don't understand your logic. How does immigrants stop swedes from a non-immigration backround from playing hockey? The player pool should only increase with immigration. Even if most of the immigrants themselves are not interested in the sport a few will pick up the sport. If the hockey pool is decreasing in Sweden it must be because the sports popularity is decreasing among swedes with a non-immigrant background.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I don't understand your logic. How does immigrants stop swedes from a non-immigration backround from playing hockey? The player pool should only increase with immigration. Even if most of the immigrants themselves are not interested in the sport a few will pick up the sport. If the hockey pool is decreasing in Sweden it must be because the sports popularity is decreasing among swedes with a non-immigrant background.

Maybe it has something to do with decrease from the "original" Sweden-Vikings popularity. That is most interested into ice-hockey.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
And there's some irony in blaming immigration when Sweden's GWG 2012 came from a player from an immigration background(Mika Zibanejad). One of Sweden's best forward prospects in a while(Lucas Raymond) also has an immigration background.

As for player pool, it has been on a steady rise(see Swedish Riksidrottsförbundet's "Idrotten i siffror" here: Idrotten i siffror). Something I find pretty crazy in there: Between 2015 & 2017 the number of active participants(have participated in the sport at least once per year in one of the assocation's activities) have increased by around 50% for men.

Reactions: Klockis

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Zibanejad is partly Finnish, that's why they won in 2012. Those pesky Finns leading even the Swedish WJC team. ;):sarcasm:

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
According to Wikipedia, the population of Sweden is 9.98 million. There's almost that many people in Toronto.

So in producing high-end hockey players they're batting way above their weight.
1 million is immigrants from last 5 years who will never play or care about hockey

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Syrians, somalians and afghanistans are not interested in hockey. Theyll add to our soccer, but not hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad