Why is Sheahan playing?

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Incredibly disappointing. When he came up with Jurco, ...Tatar? That 3-some was on fire, it was exciting. His offense has disappeared since then. Tinky Winky letting us down

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, Howard gone by buyout and Coreau brought in saves 3M.

Smith gone saves 2.75M.

Sheahan gone saves 2M.

This makes room for extensions and raises.

Akader - Larkin - Nyquist
Athanasiou - Zeta - Tatar
Vanek - Helm - Mantha
Bertuzzi - Glendy - Ott/Miller
(14. bench veteran)

DeKeyser - Green
Kronwall - Sproul
Ericsson - Marchenko
(Ouellet)

Mrazek
(Coreau)

This in my projected 2017-18 Red Wings.

yeah, looks about right. I wouldn't mind if Kenny worked a bit harder to clear out another contract or two, but I doubt a guy like Alzner or Burns will actually hit free agency anyway. I wonder if we could work out some sort of sign and trade with one of those teams involving someone like Nyquist and someone who doesn't want to sign with their team.

Yeah, I know it won't happen, but whatever.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Every time I see Nyquist pull up at the faceoff circle and do nothing with the puck for a few seconds and then pass it back to the point, I let out a large groan. At least take the puck deep and make the defense work. Everyone knows that if you just get into his peripheral vision, he won't drive the net or take it below the red line. Equally as useless as Sheahan, IMO.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
If you consider him being equally as useless as Shehan, I don't know which games you were watching. He was one of the better players so far -
one of the few that generated some offense at least and got some of his former speed back.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
I always thought Riley Sheahan was very similar to Brock Nelson (of his same draft class). It stinks that Sheahan hasn't been able to put it together like Brock has. I think they have some similar tools.

I don't think Sheahan is a problem for this team but because he once had much more promise he's definitely one of the biggest disappointments. If we change our expectations then he's fine. Not good, but fine.

This is just wishful thinking. Sheahan has been mediocre offensively at every level going back to college. If there were expectations of him being a top-6 scoring threat they weren't grounded in reality.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Every time I see Nyquist pull up at the faceoff circle and do nothing with the puck for a few seconds and then pass it back to the point, I let out a large groan. At least take the puck deep and make the defense work. Everyone knows that if you just get into his peripheral vision, he won't drive the net or take it below the red line. Equally as useless as Sheahan, IMO.

Nyquist leads the team in points and is #2 in goals scored but, sure, he's been as useless as a guy who is very near the bottom of our team in points and who has 0 goals. :thumbu:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Yeah, Howard gone by buyout and Coreau brought in saves 3M.

Smith gone saves 2.75M.

Sheahan gone saves 2M.

This makes room for extensions and raises.

Akader - Larkin - Nyquist
Athanasiou - Zeta - Tatar
Vanek - Helm - Mantha
Bertuzzi - Glendy - Ott/Miller
(14. bench veteran)

DeKeyser - Green
Kronwall - Sproul
Ericsson - Marchenko
(Ouellet)

Mrazek
(Coreau)

This in my projected 2017-18 Red Wings.

I guess I just don't see how the team improves there

Where's Frans Nielsen?
Jimmy Howard is potentially gathering trade value right now.
What do you trade Riley Sheahan for? He absolutely has some value.

Totally cool with ending the Brendan Smith experiment.

Kevin Shattenkirk, Brent Burns and Karl Alzner are the only D I like. I think Burns' goes too high or re-signs, Shatty to the Rangers, and man, Alzner's style breaks down quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad