Why is Sheahan playing?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Has their been a bigger floater on the team this year, than Riley Sheahan? All you ever see him do is skate around out there, doing next to nothing. They say he is a power forward, yet he doesn't hit, doesn't score, isn't helping the Wings keep the puck in the offensive zone, and is nothing special defensively.

I have been on his side in years past, but he regressed since then. Honestly, he is doing what Pulkkinen and Jurco did last year, come off the bench, skate around, and then return to the bench.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think he's honestly the most useless player on the team. He's not good on offense or defense, doesn't shoot, doesn't hit, doesn't agitate the opposition, doesn't do anything. Bench his ass and put Mantha in.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I understand why he's playing, but I haven't ever liked him as a player. He is ridiculously passive, overrated defensively, and his puck possession and board battles won rarely go anywhere.

That said, I don't think he's a floater at all. The effort is there - it's the brain that isn't.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
the problem is he sucks. He brings nothing to the team but trashill puts him on the power play. It the last 4-5 games he has missed wide open nets. He just isn't AHL capable.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Sheahan has literally no value.

He has some value and it's for the same reason he's seeing the minutes he does - the potential of a big body figuring it all out. These guys get chances for days.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
He’s solid and unspectacular. Average 3rd liner I’d say. He goes through streaks that make you question why he’s on the team, and then he’ll have a hot streak and everyone remembers that he’s a decent hockey player.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Riley Sheahan has value. Let's not be ridiculous. He's an every day hockey player. Offensively, he's streaky. At this level, he's not a winger. He's a defensive minded third line C that should be playing with offensive guys that lack defensive awareness there. Watch out for them there. He has to move off the W.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Riley Sheahan has value. Let's not be ridiculous. He's an every day hockey player. Offensively, he's streaky. At this level, he's not a winger. He's a defensive minded third line C that should be playing with offensive guys that lack defensive awareness there. Watch out for them there. He has to move off the W.
This pretty much.. reason we gave up Jarnkrok in a trade is because he is Sheahan-lite, same kind of player in a smaller body. Streaky offense that always leaves you wanting more, solid defense without being Selke-caliber. An NHLer. At least on this team, Sheahan has value due to his size and ability to win board battles. Wouldn't take him out of the lineup, but he should be in the bottom 6. Also I don't see much reason to keep giving him PP time, those minutes should go to AA.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
He has been making really bad decisions on offense so far this year. Really dont understand what is going on with him this year but he has never been this bad offensively before. Stuff like taking a backhand shot from the middle of the ice on a 3 on 1 is just Luke Glendening inept. No clue what is wrong with him but hopefully he gets it going soon. Forget the very promising flashes Sheahan has shown so far, even when he was playing unremarkably in past years he was still better than what he has shown so far this year.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
because he played enough games to attain veteran status(on the Red Wings veteran status sliding scale that includes things like size if you don't use it and defensive reputation for the games needed) before he became bad

and of course you can't bench a vet over guys like Athanasiou that doesn't even make sense

tie goes to the vet

Last edited:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
This pretty much.. reason we gave up Jarnkrok in a trade is because he is Sheahan-lite, same kind of player in a smaller body. Streaky offense that always leaves you wanting more, solid defense without being Selke-caliber. An NHLer. At least on this team, Sheahan has value due to his size and ability to win board battles. Wouldn't take him out of the lineup, but he should be in the bottom 6. Also I don't see much reason to keep giving him PP time, those minutes should go to AA.

Yup like I've said before Sheahan is where your lines offense goes to die. See how our 3rd line is doing now since Vanek's been out and he's been put there?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Like a few of our players, Sheahan has shown tremendous inconsistencies to his game. Tatar and Nyquist are also inconsistent, although when they are on, they produce a ton more than Sheahan, and when they are off, they still do contribute a bit. AA definitely needs Sheahan's PP minutes.

It's weird because he shows these random flashes where he goes end to end and dangles, but then goes 10 games without anything. I wouldn't bench him yet. I wouldn't mind putting him on the 4th line, bumping up AA's minutes and sitting Drew Miller. Blash apparently loves Miller though, so that won't happen.

When Jurco is back I'd put Sheahan on the 4th, scratch Miller and start Jurco on the 3rd. And if Jurco doesn't start to produce, his clock is ticking.

AA needs more minutes though. I hate how Blash calls him out all the time. Yes, he is inconsistent. There is no denying though that he makes stuff happen out there. Comical that AA hasn't received more PP minutes yet. Even if Blash sees him as a defensive liability, why not put him on the PP? He has better hands than 95% of the team, and is faster than all of them. He has also shown he can pick a corner.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Abdelkader has been just as bad, but both are playing for the same reasons.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
There has to be a team in need of a line 3 defensive C.....trade him for some pick(s), make AA full time, opens up a spot and Jurco can be odd man out when he returns.

EDIT: What would his return be if we were shipping him out? Sheahan alone. like a round 2/3 pick next year?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
On my scoring chance data, Sheahan doesn't look so bad. He does some small things right, which aren't proably seen with "normal" eye-test or with normal statistics.

I understand the critics, he isn't perfect anyhow, but he hasn't been even near the worst forward at this season.

I'll post my data soon on the "defensive advanced stats" thread.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
EDIT: What would his return be if we were shipping him out? Sheahan alone. like a round 2/3 pick next year?

While I think the 'no value' comment was a bit overdone, I can't imagine any way he returns a decent pick, at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There has to be a team in need of a line 3 defensive C.....trade him for some pick(s), make AA full time, opens up a spot and Jurco can be odd man out when he returns.

That seems about right. Beau Bennett was taken 1 pick before him in the 2010 draft and was traded for a 3rd pick in the off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad