Why is Kypreos the only guy on RC's Case?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I would change the first sentence to:

I would completely clean house if I'm Leiweke.

Nonis hasn't done anything.

He has no vision for the team and is just a puppet of Carlyle.

Clarkson contract is terrible and it hurt us at the trade deadline, he didn't do anything to fix the D that collapsed in Game 7 and instead thinks we need more forwards.

Nonis has no clue how to run a team. Vancouver fired him for the right reasons and we now need to do the same.

Nonis help build the team(some of the better pieces too), and he built a Canuck team that went to game 7 of the SCF, so at least give credit where credit is due.

I agree that he needs to go though, he's had a complete failure of a season that actually set the team back a great deal.

ShortSideFlick

Nov 2, 2011
He complains every game the Leafs win, so who cares what he says? But the complaints about Carlyle are only half justified, the players need blaming too but it seems like people really mainly want to focus on Carlyle . Think about it, Franson was great last season and has been awful this season, how can that be 100% on Carlyle? The PK was one of the best last season, and could barely stop the puck from going into the back of the net this season. I know shortened season, but come on

In case you haven't noticed there are countless rebuild, trade our core, who is worth resigning, finally blow it up type threads. The players aren't being ignored (at least by fans), nor should they. If anything it's the media that's hesitant to go to a "blow it up" mentality, not the fans.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Our defensive record and advanced statistical data in several categories during Carlyle's tenure are self evident.

Our issues go well beyond our player personnel, they are primarily systemic in nature. I have no doubt that another coach with a greater defensive pedigree would be able to achieve better results next season.

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
Many called out coaching, system and overall team play/commitment from the start of the season...maybe Kypreos was just more vocal about it whereas others mentioned it but didn't shout it from the rooftops amidst the team winning and being in a playoff spot for all but 2 weeks at the end of the season.

I think everyone saw the problems there but not everyone wanted to have a heart attack over it since the team was getting the results. I'm not even sure how valid the CORSI argument is either. I feel like every time someone posts one of the Leafs better CORSI games, it's a game that they lost. Perhaps it's the collection of talent that just plays better this way but when every other team is willing to tighten up their d and do more to keep the opposition in line, that kind of style is not always going to work - as 3 seasons worth of collapses and years prior of no playoffs would likely suggest.

The leafs CF% only increases when they are down. This is called score effects. Look at when the game is close. It's always low. That's coaching. They're never driving play. The corsi argument is valid.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Laviolette or Guy Boucher

Or

Wayne Gretzky because we just don't care and can focus on him instead.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Our defensive record and advanced statistical data in several categories during Carlyle's tenure are self evident.

Our issues go well beyond our player personnel, they are primarily systemic in nature. I have no doubt that another coach with a greater defensive pedigree would be able to achieve better results next season.

I can't help but agree 10000% on that point about the team and RC. It really needs to be a coach that will have the ear of the players while at the same time not play favorites. The fact that RC never benches any of the top guys for lazy play must really eat at the other guys who do (used to) give a crap about trying hard.

In a nutshell, the fact that RC never held Dion or Franson accountable for the mistakes but would bench Mo Reilly and Gards had to have some effect on the rest of the core. As far as forwards go...MayRay, Clarkson, Lupul and Kuly could do no wrong. Every time the leafs would be hemmed in the zone..I would say to my wife (without even seeing which of our players is on the ice) "oh boy..betcha the horror show Lupul line is out there"...and guess what...it usually was.

This team can do much better if they really buy what the coach is selling...right now and as of november last year..they did not buy it. RC should have been fired during that big slump around Christmas ..that would have been the smart thing to do. Nonis is TOO patient with RC...so now he has to deal with the crap left over.;)

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I would completely clean house if I'm Nonis.

I'm talking completely, Carlyle, assistants, trainers, equipment guys, medical staff.

Get everyone associated with these losing ways as far away from the team as possible

im pretty sure Nonis will be going to.

Oct 19, 2007
Is there a right coach for this group ?
Absolutely positively no one. This group of players will NEVER win anything in Toronto. The answer is obvious but it is impossible to get rid of all the players in the short run . If the fans have the patience and the owners have the balls, Toronto could have a championship team in 8 to 10 years. I don't see either of these things happening so be prepared to more decades of doom and gloom as far as ever winning a championship in Toronto.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The coaching staff has answered questions by saying "I have no idea" or something like that wayyyyyyy too many times this season.

They should know exactly what the problem is, and fix it. If they can't figure it out, maybe they ARE the problem.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I'm not very happy with Carlyle but he still doesn't deserve to get lumped with the trainwreck that was Ron Wilson. Last respectable coach the Leafs had was Pat Quinn

member 147413

Agree with what most have said. Completely clean house if I'm Leiweiki (sp?)

Save for Barb Underhill, many of our bigger players and prospects have seen drastic improvement in their skating.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm not very happy with Carlyle but he still doesn't deserve to get lumped with the trainwreck that was Ron Wilson. Last respectable coach the Leafs had was Pat Quinn

The similarities between Carlyle and Wilson are striking though, especially towards the ends of their tenure here (operating under the assumption that Randy is gone).

Also - agreed about Pat Quinn, but I would also throw Paul Maurice in there. I think he's a good coach, he just had an awful hockey club here and had no goaltending whatsoever.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
The guys is concussed and thinks the season turned down when the Mclaren was waived. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

Henderson19

Jul 6, 2007
Randy was a passenger on the Anaheim Stanley Cup bus. We often mistake passengers for drivers in Toronto...

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
Randy was a passenger on the Anaheim Stanley Cup bus. We often mistake passengers for drivers in Toronto...

Case in point: some Leaf fans obsession with David Bolland. The guy had 1 point going into the Stanley Cup Finals last summer and was Chicago's worst possession player.

Maplestory*

Case in point: some Leaf fans obsession with David Bolland. The guy had 1 point going into the Stanley Cup Finals last summer and was Chicago's worst possession player.

He got both game winner goals in the cup didn't he?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad