Why is Kypreos the only guy on RC's Case?

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I don't know if he has any insider info on the team...but it seems that Kypreos has been all over RC for quite a long time now. Not being able to adapt his system to the players is probably the biggest downfall of RC's tenure.

I hate to say the Ron Wilson had more coaching ability (without a Cup) than RC...but it sure looks like it now.

Either the players tune him out becausehe won't hold his star players accountable for their mistakes...or he just lost the room a long time ago for some other reason.:shakehead

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I don't know if he has any insider info on the team...but it seems that Kypreos has been all over RC for quite a long time now. Not being able to adapt his system to the players is probably the biggest downfall of RC's tenure.

I hate to say the Ron Wilson had more coaching ability (without a Cup) than RC...but it sure looks like it now.

Either the players tune him out becausehe won't hold his star players accountable for their mistakes...or he just lost the room a long time ago for some other reason.:shakehead

He isn't wrong, which is pretty good for Kypreos

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Something is completely wrong when the coaching staff is "mystified" as to why we have such a poor PK with such an amazing save percentage. This was yesterday.

That's your job to know you d**kheads. If you don't know, then get the hell out for some one that does know and can fix this.

They don't know how to fix this, but yet they know that even though we were outshot by over 20 shots in a period, the scoring chances were only different by one or two. What. The. ****.

It's amazing the spew they have said in the last few weeks and months. They can say the right things at times but the complete opposite is done on the ice. That to me, are coaches that cannot speak to their players in a way to make them understand. There's a clear disconnect and unfortunately, there's no way we can change the roster for Carlyle.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
If you think Kypreos is the only guy on RC case you might need to change the station.

I would say the majority of "experts" expect Carlyle to be fired

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
What I meant was....he was the only guy calling him out a long time ago...before the 18 wheeler was in the ditch. It's easy for the others to state the obvious now...not so easy to be man enough to say it for 1/2 the season like Kypreos has been doing.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
The rest of his coaching staff can go with him.

I would completely clean house if I'm Nonis.

I'm talking completely, Carlyle, assistants, trainers, equipment guys, medical staff.

Get everyone associated with these losing ways as far away from the team as possible

TML FTW*

James Mirtle from the Globe and Mail constantly complains about him. It's not only Kyper.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

I'm talking completely, Carlyle, assistants, trainers, equipment guys, medical staff.

Get everyone associated with these losing ways as far away from the team as possible

I totally agree....these assistants are supposed to be helping with the finer elements of the "system" ...and if anyone saw the press conference of Eakins a few days back when he admitted that he stayed with the "swarm" defense for too long and should have changed earlier...then at least you know the system that RC was forcing Eakins to use with the Marlies did not translate well to the NHL. I at least have respect for Eakins for admitting his mistake and not changing sooner.

What are the chances that RC would ever do that? :sarcasm:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
What I meant was....he was the only guy calling him out a long time ago...before the 18 wheeler was in the ditch. It's easy for the others to state the obvious now...not so easy to be man enough to say it for 1/2 the season like Kypreos has been doing.

possibly it's easier for a ex player to call out the coach then it is to speak the hard truth about the players.

it is one thing to say player x did not do this right, then it is to make the long term stance that this player can't get x done or is unwilling to do x to win.

I remember earlier this season when we was winning and hot and RC would try to point out major flaws and issues and he practically got told to shut up, stop complaining we are winning.

LMAO, now picture how deaf that fell on the ears of these 20 something, alpha male, multi millionaire, frat boys.

Hell even RC stopped pointing it out to the media (the major flaws in a win), he was like" wtfs the point".

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink , I tend to call those 4 leggers "jacka$$es".

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I would change the first sentence to:

I would completely clean house if I'm Leiweke.

Nonis hasn't done anything.

He has no vision for the team and is just a puppet of Carlyle.

Clarkson contract is terrible and it hurt us at the trade deadline, he didn't do anything to fix the D that collapsed in Game 7 and instead thinks we need more forwards.

Nonis has no clue how to run a team. Vancouver fired him for the right reasons and we now need to do the same.

this season rock

Mar 21, 2014
I am starting to think no Coach can be succesful in this market. What if coaches here are being under great pressure/influence from above, for instance Nonis, Tanenbaum, Cope, Lastman (board of directors) and the people above dictate what needs to be done and how? Leaving coaches to adapt to new expectations and not giving a chance to properly utilize many years of their successful coaching experience:

whom to play
whom to bench
call-ups
minutes
system
etc.

ForSpareParts*

Because people have respect for Randy. They don't have to state the obvious. They don't have to echo doom and gloom.

The only constant in the universe: NHL coaches get fired.

TML FTW*

Is there a right coach for this group ?

Perhaps they should be given the opportunity to coach themselves and we'll see if that improves them.

It already looks like they're playing shinny a lot of the time, so taking away the coach probably won't make a difference.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
James Mirtle from the Globe and Mail constantly complains about him. It's not only Kyper.
He complains every game the Leafs win, so who cares what he says? But the complaints about Carlyle are only half justified, the players need blaming too but it seems like people really mainly want to focus on Carlyle . Think about it, Franson was great last season and has been awful this season, how can that be 100% on Carlyle? The PK was one of the best last season, and could barely stop the puck from going into the back of the net this season. I know shortened season, but come on

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Perhaps they should be given the opportunity to coach themselves and we'll see if that improves them.

It already looks like they're playing shinny a lot of the time, so taking away the coach probably won't make a difference.

As if they're not listening to anybody, with an outright refusal to learn defense
I feel sorry for the next coach

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
RC doesn't have any answers anyway, so why even be there!?
They can't get rid of this guy fast enough IMO
Let's wait to judge on what a new coach can do until we actually see it.

Anyone want to build around RC's "model" ?!

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
He complains every game the Leafs win, so who cares what he says? But the complaints about Carlyle are only half justified, the players need blaming too but it seems like people really mainly want to focus on Carlyle . Think about it, Franson was great last season and has been awful this season, how can that be 100% on Carlyle? The PK was one of the best last season, and could barely stop the puck from going into the back of the net this season. I know shortened season, but come on

Franson was "great" last season when Randy was giving him sheltered minutes on the third line with a defense-first partner in Fraser. He faltered when he was put in more difficult situations. He was also extremely immobile and predictable on the PP and Carlyle waited until game ~75 to try Gardiner in that spot.

You can ask the same thing about the Chicago Blackhawks' penalty kill, too. 3rd last season, 19th this season. Or the Ottawa Senators: 1st last season, 24th this season. When you're atop the league in penalty killing other teams are going to try to figure out ways to expose you. Good coaches adapt in these circumstances. If it ain't working, FIX IT. Don't just stick to a game plan that is clearly not working.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Many called out coaching, system and overall team play/commitment from the start of the season...maybe Kypreos was just more vocal about it whereas others mentioned it but didn't shout it from the rooftops amidst the team winning and being in a playoff spot for all but 2 weeks at the end of the season.

I think everyone saw the problems there but not everyone wanted to have a heart attack over it since the team was getting the results. I'm not even sure how valid the CORSI argument is either. I feel like every time someone posts one of the Leafs better CORSI games, it's a game that they lost. Perhaps it's the collection of talent that just plays better this way but when every other team is willing to tighten up their d and do more to keep the opposition in line, that kind of style is not always going to work - as 3 seasons worth of collapses and years prior of no playoffs would likely suggest.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

He's really only complaining about the current team not being good enough per Corsi. He was right, and annoying as hell about it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Many called out coaching, system and overall team play/commitment from the start of the season...maybe Kypreos was just more vocal about it whereas others mentioned it but didn't shout it from the rooftops amidst the team winning and being in a playoff spot for all but 2 weeks at the end of the season.

I think everyone saw the problems there but not everyone wanted to have a heart attack over it since the team was getting the results. I'm not even sure how valid the CORSI argument is either. I feel like every time someone posts one of the Leafs better CORSI games, it's a game that they lost. Perhaps it's the collection of talent that just plays better this way but when every other team is willing to tighten up their d and do more to keep the opposition in line, that kind of style is not always going to work - as 3 seasons worth of collapses and years prior of no playoffs would likely suggest.

to the bolded

and that's just fans and media you are talking about there.

try getting that message through to the young, multi millionaires doing the winning.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
to the bolded

and that's just fans and media you are talking about there.

try getting that message through to the young, multi millionaires doing the winning.

I remember after some ugly wins, Carlyle would say that he won't criticize much in a win but he's said numerous times that it's hard to get the players to make adjustments when they're winning. While I don't think Carlyle's system really works here, I'm not resting all of the blame on him because it seems quite obvious to me that the players were satisfied with resting on their laurels. They play for 15 minutes and come out with the win and they must think they're some big shots when in reality, it's their goaltending playing for 60 minutes (and a tough 60 minutes at that) and that is what opens up room for them to take small windows of effort, convert them into goals and win games. Those guys owe Bernier (and Reimer to an extent) a portion of their salaries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad