Why is it inconceivable for Matthews to be McDavid's equal?

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
there's more than one Eichel and Laine?

[mod]

Its about who was the most proficient rookie in their rookie season..

Unless panarin is better than mcdavid
Ovi was better than crosby (this ones debatable)
Etc etc

Matthews had more points and goals in more games obviously you pick that for calder. 36 goals vs 40 and 64 points vs 69 and 73 games vs 82...Matthews edge laine out not by much but enough that you can comfortably say he was more proficient in his rookie year.

Its like having a poll asking: what is more? 5 stones or 4?
Obviously you pick 5 but the difference isent huge.... not nearly enough to say either sepparated

Last edited by a moderator:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Its about who was the most proficient rookie in their rookie season..

Unless panarin is better than mcdavid
Ovi was better than crosby (this ones debatable)
Etc etc

Matthews had more points and goals in more games obviously you pick that for calder. 36 goals vs 40 and 64 points vs 69 and 73 games vs 82...Matthews edge laine out not by much but enough that you can comfortably say he was more proficient in his rookie year.

Its like having a poll asking: what is more? 5 stones or 4?
Obviously you pick 5 but the difference isent huge.... not nearly enough to say either sepparated
Panarin had a better rookie year than McDavid, but then Connor took a step forward in his second year. Plus McDavid was still much closer to Panarin than Laine was to Matthews, and he missed way more games

If proficiency is what matters as opposed to longevity, why not choose the player who was more proficient in his over 70 games played? It isn't as if played under 50. The simple answer is that what Laine showed in his season is that he is not as good as Matthews

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
It's inconceivable because Matthews hasn't scored close to 100 points yet.

40 goals as a rookie is pretty amazing, but until he starts putting up 90-100 points a year, McDavid is on another level.

I still wouldn't want to trade Matthews one for one for McDavid, but certainly wouldn't be upset if it were to happen.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Panarin had a better rookie year than McDavid, but then Connor took a step forward in his second year. Plus McDavid was still much closer to Panarin than Laine was to Matthews, and he missed way more games

If proficiency is what matters as opposed to longevity, why not choose the player who was more proficient in his over 70 games played? It isn't as if played under 50. The simple answer is that what Laine showed in his season is that he is not as good as Matthews

Longetivity is included in proficiency here.

Matthews had the better rookie season and got the calder my point was that that the voting doesnt reflect how close it was...

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Longetivity is included in proficiency here.

Matthews had the better rookie season and got the calder my point was that that the voting doesnt reflect how close it was...

Why should it be included? He missed a handful of games on a freak play that could have happened to anyone. It isn't like that makes him less proficient than Matthews, especially in the games he did play. the way I see it is that the offense was so close that it's practically indistinguishable, but everything else is in Matthews' favour and that's why I think he separated himself from Laine last year. That's not to say it's final though since they're just first year players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad