Speculation: Why is Emelin still a free agent?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
He's got to be asking too much because he's definitely an improvement on many third pairings in the league. Tex did a great job explaining Emelin in a couple of posts above.

And frankly if the Predators go into next season with a 5/6/7 of Irwin, Weber and Bitetto, it will be easily a worse bottom pair than with Emelin.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Because most AHL teams are waiting before signing an older guy .They want to see what shake lose from their parent NHL clubs before signing a has been to a AHL or 2 way contract . He just isn't worth a NHL contract as a 7 D when NHL teams can use that spot to develop their young guy

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Because most AHL teams are waiting before signing an older guy .They want to see what shake lose from their parent NHL clubs before signing a has been to a AHL or 2 way contract . He just isn't worth a NHL contract as a 7 D when NHL teams can use that spot to develop their young guy
That's taking it a step too far, though. AHL and 2-way contracts are just not in the conversation here. He can make $1M+ playing in the KHL, and if his head is in the game he can be an adequate #5/6 d-man in the NHL for a team which lacks a physical element. So he's going to be weighing NHL offers vs. KHL offers, and he'll get $1M+ either way, so there's no point at which the AHL or 2-way contracts enter the conversation.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
One thing I would add is the fact that he hasn't already signed in the KHL must say that he at least has had a little bit of attention and a few inquiries from NHL teams. Because he'd already be gone if not. :dunno:

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
He's better than a lot of guys on 3rd pairs and he can add some much needed toughness to teams lacking in that department. Still a lot of time left to sign that kind of guy.

He's not tough. He can be physical and dirty, it's not really the same thing.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He's not tough. He can be physical and dirty, it's not really the same thing.
I remember hearing that he can't exactly be "tough" or ever answer the bell for any of his hits because of a metal plate in his face? Anyway, I think he seemed like a relatively "clean" kind of "dirty" for us... when he does hit, it's old school mean and players often get knocked down or hurt... but at the same time players these days aren't looking out for those hits as much, and they often turn their backs and face the boards or try to duck out of the way, and what is initially an attempt at a "clean"- but mean - hit can sometimes turn out different. He's not throwing elbows or sucker punches or spearing guys in the groin, though, not blatant "dirty" plays - more just attempts at clean heavy hits that go wrong... or go right but hurt somebody anyway. If anything, I just wished he'd have done more of that, not less. Once he shows that side of his game, it leaves you wanting more.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I remember hearing that he can't exactly be "tough" or ever answer the bell for any of his hits because of a metal plate in his face? Anyway, I think he seemed like a relatively "clean" kind of "dirty" for us... when he does hit, it's old school mean and players often get knocked down or hurt... but at the same time players these days aren't looking out for those hits as much, and they often turn their backs and face the boards or try to duck out of the way, and what is initially an attempt at a "clean"- but mean - hit can sometimes turn out different. He's not throwing elbows or sucker punches or spearing guys in the groin, though, not blatant "dirty" plays - more just attempts at clean heavy hits that go wrong... or go right but hurt somebody anyway. If anything, I just wished he'd have done more of that, not less. Once he shows that side of his game, it leaves you wanting more.
Thats true. Alex Svitov destroyed his face in the KHL.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
He's not that good anymore, but I'd take him as a 6/7. Physical, good veteran depth. If he'd sign for 700k he's a solid pickup

But then again he'd likely make double that back in the KHL

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Think he'll get a deal before training camp. He can be a serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman.

cafelatte

Jan 11, 2014
Simple answer is ... he's not that good. Mtl fans and media were all over MB for letting Emelin (and his big contract) go ... looks like 30 other GMs think the same.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
One of the cleanest hitters to ever play the game, I would take him back on the Habs to help the tank and troll Bruins fans.
I hope he goes back to Montreal. It would make the games a bit more interesting.

Basically he will take a run at someone, then turtle in classic Montreal fashion. The ratings.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
One of the cleanest hitters to ever play the game, I would take him back on the Habs to help the tank and troll Bruins fans.

We'll be laughing too hard to be thinking about any trolling being done.:laugh:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
If Lucic was still good he'd be worth signing, he could really get Looch off his game. Chara too sometimes.

Inb4 Bruins fans rant about the plates in his face

member 262271

Is he worse than Roman Polak? Haven't seen him play enough to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad