Speculation: Why is Emelin still a free agent?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I thought he was pretty decent for us last year. Better than Irwin and Weber, anyway. He was better before Ellis came back when he had a bigger role... later on when his role was reduced he seemed to tune out more and he got relegated in the playoffs.

Overall I'd say he should be a decent 3rd pairing defenseman, but maybe loses interest if he doesn't have a bigger role? If he could just translate his 2nd pairing level of play down to the 3rd pairing, he'd be alright for $2M per or so. As noted, perhaps he would do better than this in terms of both salary and role in the KHL?

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
I thought he would be sign to up and coming team or a contender for depth. I actually thought he would sign Columbus.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I thought he was pretty decent for us last year. Better than Irwin and Weber, anyway. He was better before Ellis came back when he had a bigger role... later on when his role was reduced he seemed to tune out more and he got relegated in the playoffs.

Overall I'd say he should be a decent 3rd pairing defenseman, but maybe loses interest if he doesn't have a bigger role? If he could just translate his 2nd pairing level of play down to the 3rd pairing, he'd be alright for $2M per or so. As noted, perhaps he would do better than this in terms of both salary and role in the KHL?

We saw the same in Montreal. He did very well alongside S.Weber in 16-17

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Emelin got 9 pts last year. The year before that he had 10. The year before that he got 12.

The guy has disastrous advanced stats too. Im not on the right computer right now to link it but he had CF% of 31 (with Rel CF% of 3% to his teammates), his SF/60 was in the 15th percentile while his xGF% was at 28 (with Rel Teammate xGF was at 14). By almost every metric, Nashville was better when he was off the ice.

The guy has been riding by on his reputation and isn't worth more than a league minimum. Better 3rd pairing options are out there for almost every team and I wouldn't expect Emelin to end up anywhere but the KHL this season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Emelin would have to say to himself, look, I'm a 3rd pair defenseman, and he'd have to accept that in his heart. And then he'd have to go out and lay out some of those big hits EVERY game, not just once every month, and he'd also have to lay some littler-but-still-effective hits even more frequently, and he'd have to think that was his lot in life and that he isn't secretly a top-4 defenseman who should get 2nd unit PP time... and... well, I still think he could be an effective 3rd pairing NHL defenseman, at least on ability. But he probably won't be anymore because I don't think he quite embraces that role or plays within himself consistently enough. Lots of 3rd pair guys have warts and don't quite know their roles. Just depends on how desperate you are and what your options are, basically. At his age, he isn't going to change. So he's not going to be anybody's first choice as a free agent signing. But a team could still plug him in like the Preds did last year, and he'd be ok if not ideal... for a while. It's just that as a Russian with a KHL background, he probably has better options than being an NHL journeyman. :dunno:

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Is he good? Not really. Is he better than your 5th or 6th Dman? Most probably. I mean Joe Morrow and Matt Benning are on NHL rosters. He'll get an offer but more $$$ from the K.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
because people still give many millions to erik gudbranson.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Leafs should be all over him. They need someone that can play in their own end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad