Why is all of Canada celebrating????

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemieux32*

So only people who actually live in Nashville or Hamilton are allowed to have an opinion on this? Cause I'm pretty sure there are people outside of Nashville who don't want to see the Predators leave... or should their opinions be irrelevant as well?

Big difference between having an opinion (i.e. financially it's better for the organization to move) and being happy about a group of fans losing their team.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Big difference between having an opinion (i.e. financially it's better for the organization to move) and being happy about a group of fans losing their team.

Or being happy about a group of fans gaining a team, eh?

I pity anyone who's world is limited to negativity.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
:shakeheadfor the last time everyone.
most of the people in canada who ARE "celebrating" are doing so at the prospect of canada gaining a team. not nashville losing one.:shakehead

Considering how difficult it is to get just the Canadians on this forum to agree on anything, I'm not sure how you can conclusively and definitively state how "most of the pople in Canada" feel on this issue.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Considering how difficult it is to get just the Canadians on this forum to agree on anything, I'm not sure how you can conclusively and definitively state how "most of the pople in Canada" feel on this issue.

Until some sort of proper, scientific poll is done (if ever), that's all anyone is talking about.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Until some sort of proper, scientific poll is done (if ever), that's all anyone is talking about.

Absolutely. But we all realize that it's speculation.

Which is why when people say things like "for the last time everyone" coupled with condescending emoticons, it's not being emotionally honest to the discussion.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Absolutely. But we all realize that it's speculation.

Which is why when people say things like "for the last time everyone" coupled with condescending emoticons, it's not being emotionally honest to the discussion.

well no, but obviously no one here can be expected to speak for the greater population of an entire country or even city.

people are speaking in some pretty wide generalizations here on both sides.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
i'm curious as to haow many people in denver celebrated when they heard of a team coming? dallas?carolina?
why is it so hard to figure out why "canada" is celebrating. i think soeme people are making too much of it.

Blue Dragon

Jan 27, 2007
Ohio
i'm curious as to haow many people in denver celebrated when they heard of a team coming?

Plenty. But no-one in, say, Orlando celebrated.

dallas?carolina?

Again, quite a few people in Dallas and Carolina celebrated. No-one in, say, Houston or Los Angeles did.

why is it so hard to figure out why "canada" is celebrating. i think soeme people are making too much of it.

That's the thing, a lot of the Canadians celebrating the potential demise of the Nashville Predators live nowhere near Hamilton.

Raoul Duke*

I wouldn't expect people in Houston to have celebrated, since you know, they don't have a team.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
But like I said in the original post Why are you and many other in Canada celebrating? When you don't live in Hamilton or Nashville, so it does not actually concern you. If it's Business like you said then why are so many people (mostly in the Canadaian media) making it a personal issue and ripping Predator fans for not supporting their team or saying "they had their chance" (both statements are completely false BTW). Noone knew this was going to happen and we were lied to and told the team would never move.

Being from Quebec City, it does concern me, because if Balsillie is successful, it might mark the time when other teams in non-traditional markets move back to other Canadians cities. In other words, many Canadians are hoping that the Nashville story is the beginning of a wave of transfer north. Canada could probably support 10 teams, at least 9.

Last edited:

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
'Its called the NFL not the IFL' or 'You have your own league', and other stupid crap like that.

if they feel that way, they shouldn't have NHL teams then, seeing as it's NHL as well...stupid people lol.

But As has been stated many times before in this thread, I could imagine, we are still bitter about all the times that teams have relocated from great Canadian cities, only to move to the deserts of America. And countless expansion teams brought into America, even though a fuller Canadian market was in the grind.

Basically, many Canadians are feeling that USA is getting its 'Just Desserts', having a team ripped from them, just as we have from us. I wouldn't be surprised if within the next few years, we have similar arguements over teams like Tampa, Florida, New Jersey, Columbus, Phoenix, and Los Angeles. Many of these teams will have to go up for sale, and there will be another Balsilie waiting to buy them and move them to Canada.

The NHL is not going to allow too much of this, however, as long as Bettman is the Commisioner. I personally doubt he will let Balsillie buy the Preds, since he doesn't seem to pleased with him.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca

Again, quite a few people in Dallas and Carolina celebrated. No-one in, say, Houston or Los Angeles did.

That's the thing, a lot of the Canadians celebrating the potential demise of the Nashville Predators live nowhere near Hamilton.

but plenty of CANADIANS are "celebrating" another team in CANADA.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Being from Quebec City, it does concern me, because if Balsillie is successful, it might mark the time when other teams in non-traditional markets move back to other Canadians cities. In other words, many Canadians are hoping that the Nashville story is the beginning of a wave of transfer north. Canada could probably support 10 teams, at least 9.

Ok, we have 6 teams now, what are the other 3 or 4 markets that can afford a 225 million dollar plus purchase price plus a 300 million dollar arena and make it work without a government subsidy of some sort?

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB

If there is one aspect of life where Canadians tend to reach the same levels of blind patriotism as Americans do, it is hockey. In as much as three Canadian teams are my three most hated NHL teams, I can perfectly understand why a lot of Canadians would be excited by a seventh Canadian team entering the picture. It simply is not something you could easily understand as an outsider.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Ok, we have 6 teams now, what are the other 3 or 4 markets that can afford a 225 million dollar plus purchase price plus a 300 million dollar arena and make it work without a government subsidy of some sort?

On%20the%20Porch.jpg

"Where's our goddamed team?"

lemieux32*

Or being happy about a group of fans gaining a team, eh?

I pity anyone who's world is limited to negativity.

*yawn* still can't come up with a solid reason can you? I actually pity people like you who come up with the most morally bankrupt reasons for doing or liking things and don't have the ability to just admit it.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
*yawn* still can't come up with a solid reason can you? I actually pity people like you who come up with the most morally bankrupt reasons for doing or liking things and don't have the ability to just admit it.

I'm curious, Mr. Positivity, what is "morally bankrupt" about finding the idea of a Hamilton NHL team intriguing?

lemieux32*

I'm curious, Mr. Positivity, what is "morally bankrupt" about finding the idea of a Hamilton NHL team intriguing?

How am I all about negativity when I asked a simple question and all I hear are excuses why it's ok to be happy about Nashville losing their team???? Oh, wait you don't actually have an answer to my question, you just throw the patriotism screen and then try to insult me.

It's morally bankrupt for you to be happy about other fans losing their team (especially the joker from Winnipeg who should be very sympathetic, but instead makes the same BS excuses as you) when you are not gaining from the team moving (as in being from the city getting the team). It's morally bankrupt to enjoy anothers loss. I guess it's too tough for people like you to look at things from their point of view.:shakehead

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
How am I all about negativity when I asked a simple question and all I hear are excuses why it's ok to be happy about Nashville losing their team???? Oh, wait you don't actually have an answer to my question, you just throw the patriotism screen and then try to insult me.

I don't have to try when it comes to insulting you. The refusal to view the positive aspects of people being happy about a potential Hamilton team is a failing all your own.

I have a newsflash for you: Most Canadians could care less about Nashville one way or the other. There are some, certainly, who view such a move as some kind of retribution for two Canadian teams being "ripped away" and the goal to expand to the barren American south. However, for the overwhelming majority, I would say, Nashville itself has very little to do with the opinions. If Nashville stayed put and Hamilton got an expansion team, nobody would care much. The entire point is that people want to see Hamilton get a team.

It's morally bankrupt for you to be happy about other fans losing their team (especially the joker from Winnipeg who should be very sympathetic, but instead makes the same BS excuses as you) when you are not gaining from the team moving (as in being from the city getting the team). It's morally bankrupt to enjoy anothers loss. I guess it's too tough for people like you to look at things from their point of view.:shakehead

Simply put, if I am not permitted to be happy for a market outside of my own potentially getting a team, then by the same token, the feelings of the people in the market potentially losing it shouldnt matter either. As I said on the last page: Nashville can keep their team, lose it, or whatever. I simply don't care. And neither do most Canadians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad