Why hasn't the NHL changed to a 3 point system for regulation win? Are they considering it?

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
It's so they can still compare current teams with historically great teams, even though they're not competing under the same systems (OT was added, then shootouts were added, then OT was changed to 3vs3). It's the only logical reason I can think of for leaving it at two points for wins.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Not at all. You just value regulation wins in tie breakers and move on with life.
Tiebreaker is such a minor thing in the big picture, off the top of your head you won't be able to name the last 3 teams that were tied for #8/9 spots.

As long as the game has gimmick to decide games the point system will remain.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Honest question - is there a reason why NHL hasn't shifted to that? I know a lot of fans are wanting this, and it seems like a natural and obvious change to me.

There's probably two main ways of doing this.

Option 1:

Regulation win 3 points
OT win 2 points
shootout win 1 point
Loss (any type) 0 points

Option 2:

Regulation win 3 points
OT/Shootout win 2 points
OT/Shootout loss 1 point
Regulation loss 0 points

I personally prefer the first, as teams will always be trying to win, since regulation win is worth more than OT win, and OT worth more than shootout, and loss worth 0 points. So teams are always going all out to win, whether at the end of regulation, or in OT, which makes the game more exciting. But - option 2 could work too, as it would allow all games to have the same number of points awarded (3), and still rewards team for seeking a win in regulation vs playing it safe to reach OT.

So the question is - why has the NHL not shifted to this? Have there been reports that they are seriously considering this, or have? Is there pushback for certain reasons? Or has it never even been seriously considered by owners?

What's your opinion - do you think NHL should change to one of those 2 systems? And which one makes more sense if so? And if not - why not?

I know some posters will comment about how they don't like shootouts and wish NHL would get rid of those, but I think that's highly unlikely. They're very marketable, and I don't think they're going away anytime soon, so seems like a moot point.
We've seen this topic so many times.

Leave three pointers to the NBA. The change the league should be making is to get rid of the loser point. They won't though because it artificially inflates weaker teams in the standings longer into the season. Bettman's attempts at parity are more of a parody.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Honest question - is there a reason why NHL hasn't shifted to that? I know a lot of fans are wanting this, and it seems like a natural and obvious change to me.

There's probably two main ways of doing this.

Option 1:

Regulation win 3 points
OT win 2 points
shootout win 1 point
Loss (any type) 0 points

Option 2:

Regulation win 3 points
OT/Shootout win 2 points
OT/Shootout loss 1 point
Regulation loss 0 points

I personally prefer the first, as teams will always be trying to win, since regulation win is worth more than OT win, and OT worth more than shootout, and loss worth 0 points. So teams are always going all out to win, whether at the end of regulation, or in OT, which makes the game more exciting. But - option 2 could work too, as it would allow all games to have the same number of points awarded (3), and still rewards team for seeking a win in regulation vs playing it safe to reach OT.

So the question is - why has the NHL not shifted to this? Have there been reports that they are seriously considering this, or have? Is there pushback for certain reasons? Or has it never even been seriously considered by owners?

What's your opinion - do you think NHL should change to one of those 2 systems? And which one makes more sense if so? And if not - why not?

I know some posters will comment about how they don't like shootouts and wish NHL would get rid of those, but I think that's highly unlikely. They're very marketable, and I don't think they're going away anytime soon, so seems like a moot point.

I would much rather they revert to the original system where you receive two points for a win and zero points for a loss.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
5 Points - Win by Paul Maurice in Regulation with St. Laurent or Lambert Reffing
4 Points - Win by Paul Maurice in OT/Shootout with St. Laurent or Lambert Reffing
3 Points - Win in Regulation
2 Points - Win in OT/Shootout
1 Point - Loss in OT/Shootout
0 Points - Loss in Regulation

I laughed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Option 2 is the most fair 3 pt system.

Winning a gimmick shouldn't be the same pts as winning an actual hockey game.

Likewise losing a skills gimmick shouldn't be punished like losing in regulation. You didn't get beat in a hockey game.
Option 2 also ensures the same number of points are awarded each season. If there are 1260 games each season and each is worth 3 points then we know there are going to be 3780 points total for the season. Right now it can vary between 25-50 or something each season given the number of lost regulation games.

Some people don’t like the extra columns. But right now you will see teams with fewer wins ranked behind teams with more wins if they have the same point total. Then you need to see the ROW column to understand why.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Option 2 also ensures the same number of points are awarded each season. If there are 1260 games each season and each is worth 3 points then we know there are going to be 3780 points total for the season. Right now it can vary between 25-50 or something each season given the number of lost regulation games.

Some people don’t like the extra columns. But right now you will see teams with fewer wins ranked behind teams with more wins if they have the same point total. Then you need to see the ROW column to understand why.

Everything has been like a bubble-gum fixes. Fix after another failure fix.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I think it's to keep the standings artificially close didn't calculate it but I guess with 3 points system too many teams are out of the playoff race too early

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Doesn't 1 of the fancy stats page give the option of displaying standings with a 3 point system? I think it only really flips a couple bubble teams every now and then.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I just never understood why you would get a point if you lost in OT/SO. You lost the game, so why be rewarded for it?

IMO, I would have it as:

Reg. win - 2
OT/SO win - 1
Loss (any kind) - 0

That would give the most accurate standings and where teams are at. Tiebreaker would just be who had more Regulation wins and less OT/SO wins.

No you didn't lose the game. You lost a gimmick. 3 on 3 and the shoot out are not hockey.

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
Still has the problem of the loser point, and not every game being the same number of points.
It does make a slight impact though. Like Tampa would have 85 points and Leafs have 88. So, Tampa would only be 1 win away instead of being currently 2 wins away. But yea, it's not that bad of a difference.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was curious how both a system that was [Reg W-3, OT/SO W-2, OT/SO L-1, Reg L-0] and a system that was [Reg/OT W-3, SO W-2, SO L-1, Reg/OT L-0] would play out, so I spent a very useless half hour pulling, mathing, and sorting this data. Here it is, hopefully I haven't messed up any numbers:

TeamNormal StandingTeamFirst ScenarioTeamSecond Scenario
Bruins72Bruins101Bruins103
Hurricanes62Devils85Devils87
Devils61Leafs84Jets87
Leafs61Stars82Lightning84
Stars59Hurricanes82Leafs82
Jets59Jets81Knights82
Knights58Lightning79Hurricanes80
Lightning57Kraken78Stars79
Rangers57Knights78Kraken79
Kraken56Rangers77Oilers76
Kings56Oilers76Rangers75
Wild54Capitals74Capitals74
Capitals54Wild74Wild74
Oilers53Kings74Islanders72
Flames51Islanders70Kings72
Penguins50Penguins69Penguins65
Islanders50Flames69Flames65
Predators48Panthers67Avalanche65
Avalanche47Predators64Blues64
Blues47Flyers63Panthers63
Panthers47Blues62Sabres62
Sabres45Sabres61Predators62
Flyers45Avalanche61Flyers58
Red Wings44Red Wings59Senators56
Senators41Senators56Red Wings56
Canadiens41Canadiens53Canadiens53
Canucks39Canucks50Canucks52
Sharks35Sharks45Sharks43
Coyotes33Coyotes44Coyotes42
Ducks29Blue Jackets37Blue Jackets39
Hawks28Hawks36Hawks38
Blue Jackets28Ducks33Ducks35

Overall, I like the second scenario (3 points for a Regulation or Overtime Win, 2 for a Shootout Win, 1 for a Shootout Loss, and none for a Regulation or Overtime Loss). I don't see why teams should get rewarded for losing in OT rather than Regulation; I'd just consider OT to be an extension of Regulation, as it's basically like if you're tied in the last minute of a game and then you score, it's almost definitely going to be the last goal of the game. That way, teams are punished for stalling out the last few minutes of Regulation to get to OT and for dipsy-doodling around in OT just waiting for the Shootout. And since the Shootout is literally a 50/50, it makes sense to reward winning during actual hockey instead of a Shootout, although in this scenario I might move back to 4v4 OT instead of 3v3.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: ninetyeight

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
How about dump the point system entirely and go to a W/L system.
No, absolutely not. That would weight a gimmick contest (3v3 or SO) the same as an actual, regulation hockey win.

The 3-2-1-0 system makes by far the most logical sense. But the NHL will never do it because it's incongruent with historical records and it doesn't artificially compress the playoff race like the 2 point system.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The owners ARE the NHL.

The NHL said they want a 3 point system, then the entire NHL voted and said no? How do you explain this?

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Probably because they don't care whether games give out the same number of points or not

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
5 Points - Win by Paul Maurice in Regulation with St. Laurent or Lambert Reffing
4 Points - Win by Paul Maurice in OT/Shootout with St. Laurent or Lambert Reffing
3 Points - Win in Regulation
2 Points - Win in OT/Shootout
1 Point - Loss in OT/Shootout
0 Points - Loss in Regulation

-1 point - Lose in OT/SO against Paul Maurice with St. Laurent or Lambert Reffing.
-2 points - Lose in regulation against Paul Maurice with St. Laurent or Lambert Reffing.
0 points - Lose in any other scenario.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Doesn't 1 of the fancy stats page give the option of displaying standings with a 3 point system? I think it only really flips a couple bubble teams every now and then.
LA missed the PO one year and i think it was MTL another year, until 2-3 teams miss in the same year because of the unbalanced points system the NHL won't change.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This mickey Mouse league trades in phony forced parity because unlike any other major sport…they need people to buy tickets. The worst thing for them is great teams being great and out of reach while bad teams are bad and out of it.

A decision made to take the actual sport out of sport in hopes a handful of fools will buy a ticket to a sport that already is so easily ruled by randomness, luck and horrid officiating.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad