Why hasn't the Hawks Powerplay during the Toews, Kane, and Kieth era been much better than it is?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Some of the underlying numbers, for anybody interested. The numbers are for all powerplays, so it includes 5v4, 5v3, 4v3. It does not include EN scenarios. Regular season only.

YearCF/60RANKSF/60RANKxGF/60RANKSH%RANK
200872.730th43.3828th5.1725th13.1514th
20098925th51.2415th5.0630th13.9412th
2010102.89th53.1611th6.4218th12.2918th
201196.4811th51.5712th6.4814th16.541st
201287.5223rd46.7724th5.3528th11.5126th
201386.5323rd43.2728th4.7130th13.3016th
201499.0715th52.5118th6.2921st13.5116th
2015102.129th53.4813th6.124th11.5620th
201685.828th47.3725th5.8725th17.922nd
201792.6522nd51.4519th6.1621st12.3219th
201898.5725th49.8829th5.8830th11.3525th
201994.9514th52.6112th6.418th13.7915th
202091.3421st50.1722nd6.4618th10.5829th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
General thoughts:

The Blackhawks have had a mediocre-to-bad PP system every single year of the Toews/Kane era.

The only years they ranked in the top 10 in any metric was 2010 (9th in shot attempts per 60 on the PP), 2011 (1st in SH% on the PP), 2015 (9th in shot attempts per 60 on the PP), and 2016 (2nd in SH%).

When it comes to the generation of shots and chances on the man advantage, they have been middling to poor. Their jumps in PP% are the result of SH% spikes, not significant changes to system.

Their best PP performance was actually in 2011, where they were just outside the top 10 in all 3 metrics, in addition to having the benefit of a white-hot sh%.

Most of these years took place under Q, and despite how much credit and blame the assistant coaches get for the special teams, the truth is both were always Q's system. He's the one signing off on or nixing ideas. That's why the Blackhawks remained fairly consistent in their underlying PP mediocrity, despite several assistant coaching changes over the course of Q's tenure.

Q was, is, and always will be a defense first coach. I'm not sure he has the creativity to 'coach' offensive systems. He's a great defensive coach, or was for a long time anyway, but it seems most of the team's offensive output should be credited to the players and their own creativity, more than anything Q draws up for them.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Our best PP unit had Chelios + Suter as PP QB

Both had great shots and were good passers

With recent Hawks it could be argued Seabrook (Not the last few years version) was at least up to par with Suter but we had no one like Chelios as Keith outside of early years was no threat with his shot

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
lack of PP QB, a 2nd guy to worry About with Kane on the ice and no triggerman to pull the trigger.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Poor zone entry, often takes half the PP time to get setup in the zone.

No threat from the point.

Poor puck retrieval in O zone.

Never actually using the man advantage. No movement to create a wide open guy, rarely outnumbering the opps on the puck, rarely a shot on net from the point and outmanning opps for rebound chances.

All these "minor" things add up to poor PP play.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Brian Campbell.

Campbell didn't appear to be ever taken seriously as a PP weapon by Quenneville in Chicago. He also wasn't used on the PK at all, something he got to do later in Florida, apparently with very good effectiveness (rather to my surprise), according to the article on Tallon's Florida tenures I read recently.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I remember reading somewhere that Keith was essentially promised PP1 time as part of his contract.

Which would be crazy if true, but it would also help explain why he openly dislikes Colliton so much, since Colliton replaced him with Gus on PP1.

Campbell was always used on PP2... the thing is, PP2 was actually viable for the years Campbell was here. It wasn't until 2012 when the Blackhawks essentially became PP1 and 'a bunch of guys to give the other guys a breather'.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Controversial opinion: Seabrook was a better ppqb than Keith during their years here.

Huge shot that got through, never tried to get too fancy with passes, was solid defensively. I remember him cycling the puck down low on the pp.

He was underrated as a ppqb imo. Campbell was better tho

Edit: i also think, given time, Leddy could have been an excellent ppqb.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Controversial opinion: Seabrook was a better ppqb than Keith during their years here.

Huge shot that got through, never tried to get too fancy with passes, was solid defensively. I remember him cycling the puck down low on the pp.

I dont think anybody ever had much problem with Seabrook on the PP, but I don’t really think he ever really QBed it either.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

Leddy was already a better PPQB than Keith when he was let go. His zone entry was cleaner, he wouldn't take geologic epochs to shoot or pass, and he wasn't dialed in on the opposition's shinpads.

His D-game left a lot to be desired, but I remember multiple times where the 'hawks #1 unit was stymied with Keith out there, only for the 2nd unit to come in and execute cleanly.
~~~
One other aspect I haven't read that kills our PP is that it seems like everyone's looking for the cute, pretty plays and the perfect pass or shot and doesn't muck things up and go for dirty. Whne we had guys like Buff, Bickell before MS, and to a lesser extent Shaw (who just didn't have the mass) get to the front of the net and wreak havoc, the PP did a lot better. Right now, we don't have that often and when we do, we usually score. The few times the prima donna attitude is dropped (and per my eyes it's usually Toews that decides to get dirty), we usually score.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Cause Keith sucks at his position and he’s been put out there year after year. Matter of fact everyone other than Kane and Panarin has been horrible on the power play.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Keith is more suited for the 2nd PP unit. Good skater, good passer, good at holding the line. But his lack of shot makes him a very bad point man.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Cause Keith sucks at his position and he’s been put out there year after year. Matter of fact everyone other than Kane and Panarin has been horrible on the power play.

Kane isnt without blame.

His Carmelo Anthony routine on the half-wall grinds everything to a halt.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

In the early part of the season Gus was on the power play and that was the right call given the prior season's results. When he was traded they took a brief look at Boqvist but it wasn't working. He wasn't ready and there was no reason to destroy his confidence with repeated failures. It was better to put him on PP2 with less pressure. Hence Keith by default. As the young guys come on there may be more options.

One of the other problems with the PP this year was DeBrincat's atrocious shooting year. They kept him on the PP longer than they should have hoping to kick start him. People lament why it took so long to put Kubalik on there. The reason is you can put two of Kubalik, DeBrincat and Kane on the PP. You need a dman, you need a centre to win faceoffs and you need a net front guy screening which neither of those three are suited for so you don't have space for all three. Kubalik was scoring 5v5 anyway. DeBrincat was not but had a history of performing well on the PP and you were more likely to kickstart him keeping him on the PP. It didn't work and honestly, if DeBrincat can't play PP1 and his 5v5 scoring isn't there, you gotta wonder about his role on the team. He's gotta take a step forward next year.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Their entries are too predictable. Once they get into the zone after the successful entry has eaten up 30-1min already. Their actual setup play is predictable in that they all stand and watch kane stick handle and hope the Back door play happens. Maybe, some of that is due to a lack of big shot at the point. But Because of the lack of movement the defenders typically pinch and play a passive pack it in on the cross passing lanes.

The power play looks better when they have quick passes and movement as it means the defenders also have to move around which creates gaps and miscommunication.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Patrick Kane is not a very good PP player off the wall. Everyone feeds him the whole PP and he hoards the puck and everyone becomes stationary. Pucks rarely challenge the center of the PK. If the PP is bad for 10 years you really can’t make excuses for him (or Toews or Keith) anymore.

amazing player but he is a puck hog on the PP

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Clearly,Keith was no threat as the bomb from the point and puckingbupnonlyvsecaondatyvassisysxafter he passes to Kanexand when they manage a pp score after that is hardly being a pp QB.. also Toews did not score enough pp points too..

It did not work well enough most of the time with just a few exceptional spurt parts of seasons...

But realky...the Keithbis no threatcfron the point has been a massive problem for pp productivity...Opps PKs need not respectKeith's point shot...so could collapse and defend/ check our other PP players tighter...And now ...as Keoth turned geezer and fumbles more pucks they have changed to pressing him to mishandle pucks even before he attempts shots or passes...Keith never was and now is certainly not an effective pp qb or shot guy...

So 75% of blame for PP problem is on Keith...

Other 25% split between Kane ,Toews and anyone else on the PP.

And it has not helped that D-Cat who got the big bucks extention as our best shot threat to score,fell of the cliff this past shortened season.

Add these woes up and result is a stinky PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad