Why Gilbert over Beaulieu?

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
why Allen over beaulieu, thats a better question.

That would still be a battle for the #7 D so Allen can take the press box and Beaulieu can take the minutes in Hamilton. It's not like Allen is progressing anyway so keeping him around for emergency isn't that bad.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I hated the signing at the time...Gilbert needed a pro tryout to even make the Panthers. No one wanted the guy.

But so far Gilbert has been good, I think he's been pretty consistent.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
3 points in 23 games is NOT what we expected out of Gilbert.
Those are Josh Gorges numbers...
So if Gilbert is quietly becoming one of our best Dmen we are screwed...

Nope, your evaluation skills have been all over the map. We don't need Gilbert to put up a bunch of points, he's solid transitioning the puck and solid defensively. We have enough offensive dman to carry that torch. Gilbert was /is a very solid addition.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Nope, your evaluation skills have been all over the map. We don't need Gilbert to put up a bunch of points, he's solid transitioning the puck and solid defensively. We have enough offensive dman to carry that torch. Gilbert was /is a very solid addition.

Dude,
We are talking about a D that put up 28 pts with Florida last year.
He is on pace for 11 pts. His puck moving skills are obviously not amounting to a hill of beans.
He has done an adequate job at best but if you think he is one of our best defensemen.:laugh:

Like i said we are screwed.:p:

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
The problem is the thinking that Gilbert is a offensive defenseman. He's not. He's a guy who will get the puck out of the defensive zone effectively, which is just about the most important skill a defensive defenseman can have.

He's a little bit like Diaz except in this regard, except a good deal better. Diaz was more of a shot blocker and Gilbert doesn't need to do that.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Why Gilbert over Beaulieu? Why Allen over Tinordi?

While I feel most don't recognize Gilbert been better defensively and has been better overall even with his big amount of turnovers earlier on. I'd agree that Beaulieu kind of brings about the same to the table. Though, I think Gilbert might be better for decision making and helping transition to the offense. It something that Beaulieu has to learn. Does it justify scratching Beaulieu though? In don't think so, however, we need to win games. I'd feel more comfortable when we are deeper in the season with much better chances to make the playoffs, to switch in Beaulieu. This way if we lose a game, we still have a cushion.

I definitely don't understand Allen over Tinordi though. They both bring size, strength, crease-clearing and shutting down mentality. Only thing I see in Allen is his experience, but he's far less mobile and I'd think that Tinner is stronger too. So far, Allen took a punch and has created plenty of turnovers. I like the trade because we save cap for next year. But I definitely expect us to waive Allen if he keeps this pace because he just isn't going to cut it.

I think the team wants to play it safe with veterans, while they're still "fresh". Make a points cushion for a playoff spot qualification. Then later, put in Tinordi and Beaulieu.

There's soo many old defensemen on our team, I'm surprised Therrien and Bergevin haven't delved into necromancy to bring back people back from the crypts.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Dude,
We are talking about a D that put up 28 pts with Florida last year.
He is on pace for 11 pts. His puck moving skills are obviously not amounting to a hill of beans.
He has done an adequate job at best but if you think he is one of our best defensemen.:laugh:

Like i said we are screwed.:p:

He's number 3 behind PK Subban/Andrei Markov. He's definitely better than Weaver/Allen/Emelin and most likely better than Tinordi/Beaulieu at the moment too. If you don't understand that then you are not someone to be taken seriously.

We'll be in contention for the Eastern Conferene title all year long. Screwed, yeah right lol.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He's number 3 behind PK Subban/Andrei Markov. He's definitely better than Weaver/Allen/Emelin and most likely better than Tinordi/Beaulieu at the moment too. If you don't understand that then you are not someone to be taken seriously.

We'll be in contention for the Eastern Conferene title all year long. Screwed, yeah right lol.

Better than Emelin ?

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
Better than Emelin ?

Emelin has been getting somewhat better lately, which is good because he's pretty much been a boat anchor since his return from injury.

Unfortunately. :( I like the player, esthetically. Dude is a masterful hitter. But the team doesn't do well when he's on the ice.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Looking like Gilbert the odd man out right now. I guess the question right now is closer to "Why Allen over Beaulieu?" which makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little. Ok, a lot!

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Emelin has been getting somewhat better lately, which is good because he's pretty much been a boat anchor since his return from injury.

Unfortunately. :( I like the player, esthetically. Dude is a masterful hitter. But the team doesn't do well when he's on the ice.

Hitter?? he quit doing that a couple seasons ago.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
To me, it still seems as though Gilbert gives you more decently-executed simple plays between the "head scratchers" compared to Beaulieu (or even Tinordi, honestly). Gilbert has a lower ceiling on where his skills can take him, imo, but he simply executes better than our rookies right now (which, unfortunately, isn't saying that much). When you're in a serious contention year, it's a difficult balancing act trying to figure out how many games those rookies are going to get to "come into their own" on the NHL squad instead of just putting in the development time in the AHL instead while your vets maintain the playoff positioning push over the long haul.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
Gilbert and Allen both aren't good... Regardless, they'll both be gone before long and Beaulieu/Tinordi will get their chance. Both are young, there's no rush.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That would be a reason, although if this happens, it's clear Bergevin made a mistake throwing a contract at him in the first place.

It depends on what other spending options there may have been at the time.

However, Gilbert is not signed to an excessive contract both in terms of dollars and term, and as a RH defenseman, still holds trade value for some team. Plus, he has them advanced stats on his side. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad