Why Gilbert over Beaulieu?

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Now that we have Gonchar and Allen, why is Gilbert still around? It's not that I dislike him, but he really doesn't bring anything that Beaulieu couldn't. Beulieu is bigger, a better skater, and doesn't shy away from contact. I don't understand why he's not our 7th guy. There are teams that are hurting for defence, and we are hording them. They should ship Gilbert out and rotate the young guy in.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Gilbert doesn't cost the team, as much as he looks ackward out there, he gets the job's done on most night. He's a lot bigger than Beaulieu though.

hf27

Jan 29, 2013
Now that we have Gonchar and Allen, why is Gilbert still around? It's not that I dislike him, but he really doesn't bring anything that Beaulieu couldn't. Beulieu is bigger, a better skater, and doesn't shy away from contact. I don't understand why he's not our 7th guy. There are teams that are hurting for defence, and we are hording them. They should ship Gilbert out and rotate the young guy in.

Gilbert >>>> Beaulieu. Lot less mistakes and brain cramps on D at at this time. Only thing Beaulieu got going for him is he's younger than Gilbert.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Gilbert doesn't cost the team, as much as he looks ackward out there, he gets the job's done on most night. He's a lot bigger than Beaulieu though.

Kay I was wrong on the size, but Gilbert is only about 9 lbs more. Height is the same. Beaulieu plays bigger while Gilbert shys away.

Point is we have enough vets and I don't think Beaulieu would do any worse

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's ridiculous how many people miss the key defensive plays Gilbert makes.

He always looks like he's in over his head but he wrestles the puck away without taking a penalty.

Hooking/interference penalties through 22 games: 1 tripping, 1 hook and 1 bs interference call in overtime. 2nd in +/- for Habs defensemen

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
michel-therrien-pas-dents-copy.jpg

This is why !

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I'd like to see if Beaulieu can progress playing with Weaver on the bottom pairing.

Gilbert may be a little better now. But if Beaulieu got 50 games under his belt, how good would he be come playoff time?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Gilbert has looked fine for quite a few weeks now. He's looked bad in the last two games paired up Allen, who should not be in the nhl.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Why Gilbert over Beaulieu? The Habs are vying for position with TB and Boston and Gilbert has been much sounder. Besides, he shoots right. Let Beaulieu earn a regular shift.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Gilbert is a pretty stable D unless he has the puck behind our goal line.

There's much worse than him. Allen for example.

Canadiens93

May 6, 2010
Gilbert has been good enough to be in the lineup, he's a steady presence. Not going to push the pace or drive our offense but he has the mental side of the game and the ability to play 20 minutes a game. For me it's more about pairings and use of our d. I loved PK and Markov together last year (however brief and especially the year before which basically won PK the Norris) but I feel like they have to be split especially if we're going to dress Allen which i'm crossing my fingers is just a tryout. Emelin with Markov, although they're both the same hand seems like the best fit. Yes I'm advocating playing a slow and bad Emelin on his wrong side with Markov because I literally feel that's where he does the least damage. Markov is not the fleetest of foot either but has great reads and seems to do a great job of covering for Emelin's brain farts while still able to distribute the puck and make a great first pass. Despite what people may believe I think Therrien knows and understands the abilities of our young d (Beaulieu, Tinordi) and the fact that Hamilton at this stage isn't really developing them but I feel like lineup decisions are made by a large group and not just him but he does have the final say. Management ultimately wants to know how the pieces of the puzzle will all fit come April and I wouldn't fret too much about them dressing the wrong player at this stage. There is alot of thought put into this by hockey minds much more sophisticated than ours despite what we believe sometimes. Sorry for the rant but Gilbert over Beaulieu I think for them is a big picture decision and has alot more to do than just their handedness. For me the biggest worry on D is playing the wrong guys together just like it happened a couple nights ago when Gilbert was actually paired with Beaulieu against Pittsburgh. Although it seems like their styles should mesh both tend to make horrible reads and only one has the foot speed to recover. I'm not even going to read through this I just started typing and it feels right, we need to do some alterations to the pairings!

Canadiens93

May 6, 2010
Gilbert is ok but I hate him on the powerplay. It's a total waste of PK's skill having Gilbert next to him.

Why haven't we used PK and Markov on their off side on the powerplay yet this year? When the penalty killers have to cheat towards it there is a ton of open ice for our forwards down low. We literally just move it around the perimeter until one of the guys gets frustrated and puts it into a penalty killer's shin pad. Even an umbrella with PK and Patch at the top of the circles with Markov as the quarterback at the blue. It will open up ice somewhere as they cheat. You need Chucky or Plekanec down low with Gallagher imo, it's just too obvious dd isn't going to shoot and regardless of his speed and elusiveness you need the thread of a shot with everybody on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad