why dont nhl players sing the anthems along

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
ive seen other sports where players sing the anthem but nhl players dont. why not nhl players it would look good on them singing along. i dont think ive ever seen a player sing along in the nhl
I would pay good money to hear Ovechkin sing the US national anthem. Such a video would go viral. Instantly.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
unbelievable. why on earth would it look silly if they grew up in that country. so there restricted because another player is from somewhere else. good logic kid

Because it is silly, they are not playing for their countries. Don't you think they would sing if it wasn't? And please don't call me kid, when I'm older than you are, based on the fact that you only started watching NHL in 2006 when you were 10 years old.

Reactions: Dr Acula

yangmang

Sep 28, 2006
I didn't say they shouldn't sing. It would just look even more cringeworthy than it already is if they did sing along.

National anthems in pro sports are silly and misplaced.
youre lying

you said "Wouldn't it look more silly if only the US and Canadian players sang along their national anthems"

youre back tracking now

nice try

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
youre lying

you said "Wouldn't it look more silly if only the US and Canadian players sang along their national anthems"

youre back tracking now

nice try

How am I lying? I never said they shouldn't be allowed to sing along, which you implied that I did. I only said it would look even more silly, never said they shouldn't do it.

yangmang

Sep 28, 2006
How am I lying? I never said they shouldn't be allowed to sing along, which you implied that I did. I only said it would look even more silly, never said they shouldn't do it.
saying that it would look silly to sing implies they shouldnt sing

again nice try

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
saying that it would look silly to sing implies they shouldnt sing

again nice try

I consider a lot of things silly, like Patrick Kane's hair or Patrik Laine's 'beard'. That doesn't mean I would deny them the opportunity to do as they please in a free world.

Why don't you answer my question: why should they sing, or better yet, why are there national anthems in pro sports to begin with?

yangmang

Sep 28, 2006
I consider a lot of things silly, like Patrick Kane's hair or Patrik Laine's 'beard'. That doesn't mean I would deny them the opportunity to do as they please in a free world.

Why don't you answer my question: why should they sing, or better yet, why are there national anthems in pro sports to begin with?
your questions have nothing to do with this thread

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
your questions have nothing to do with this thread

'Why should they sing' has nothing to do with this thread? This thread is about why NHL players aren't singing along with their respective national anthems. I think 'why should they sing' is a very valid question to ask, and very much on par with the thread itself. And a very logical jump is to ask whether national anthems belong in pro sports or not. So far you've been quick to call me dumb and a child but failed to answer a couple of very simple questions related to the thread.

If you can't discuss, what's the point? If you don't think my reasoning is sound, then by all means say something relevant and make me a believer. Heck, based on the other answers in this thread, you have a whole lot of people saying basically the same thing.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Not that I really care about the anthems, but seeing the vehement opposition to them ITT, I will now support them fully in the game.

yangmang

Sep 28, 2006
'Why should they sing' has nothing to do with this thread? This thread is about why NHL players aren't singing along with their respective national anthems. I think 'why should they sing' is a very valid question to ask, and very much on par with the thread itself. And a very logical jump is to ask whether national anthems belong in pro sports or not. So far you've been quick to call me dumb and a child but failed to answer a couple of very simple questions related to the thread.

If you can't discuss, what's the point? If you don't think my reasoning is sound, then by all means say something relevant and make me a believer. Heck, based on the other answers in this thread, you have a whole lot of people saying basically the same thing.
im not gonna answer your question as i said. im not the one controlling the anthems being played before games. if youre old enough you should know they have been part of the game for a long time now. this thread is about the players and their involvement

keep up

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Maybe they just don't like the song.

To me, the whole thing with standing up, holding hand to your chest, singing etc. is super pretentious. If you're patriotic you're patriotic. You don't have to make a huge point of announcing it to the world.

Reactions: Dr Acula and Eisen

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
im not gonna answer your question as i said. im not the one controlling the anthems being played before games. if youre old enough you should know they have been part of the game for a long time now. this thread is about the players and their involvement

keep up

So we should only discuss about things we have control over? That doesn't make any sense.

My original question was 'why should they'. Can you try to answer that question at least? Or are you saying next you have no control over what the players think or feel? And yes, I do know national anthems have been part of NA pro sports for a long time. That doesn't mean it's justified or has its place in the sports or that it can't be debated about the very least.

yangmang

Sep 28, 2006
So we should only discuss about things we have control over? That doesn't make any sense.

My original question was 'why should they'. Can you try to answer that question at least? Or are you saying next you have no control over what the players think or feel? And yes, I do know national anthems have been part of NA pro sports for a long time. That doesn't mean it's justified or has its place in the sports or that it can't be debated about the very least.
like i said why should they is something you should ask the nhl committe. im not controlling and has been part of the tradition for longer then you were alive

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If you want to preserve reverence for the national anthem then don't play it before sporting events, 82 regular season games + any playoff games, even if you're an anthem lover you would have to admit it begins to lose meaning when you shoehorn before other events over and over again. Human beings are going to be human beings, if you're asked to do something daily at some point it loses meaning to you. There is value in using something sparingly and in moments where they provide actual weight to a situation.

Think back to elementary school and reciting the pledge of allegiance every day, by third grade it's become so routine that it practically sounds robotic, no one is actually thinking of what they're saying. The anthem has reached that level, it's over saturation, I understand lots of people have a deep level of reverence for it and I empathize, but if that's the case wouldn't you prefer it be treated like something a bit more sacred and not played before a monster truck rally, WWF match, or the Cleveland Browns vs the New York Giants?

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
If you want to preserve reverence for the national anthem then don't play it before sporting events, 82 regular season games + any playoff games, even if you're an anthem lover you would have to admit it begins to lose meaning when you shoehorn before other events over and over again. Human beings are going to be human beings, if you're asked to do something daily at some point it loses meaning to you. There is value in using something sparingly and in moments where they provide actual weight to a situation.

Think back to elementary school and reciting the pledge of allegiance every day, by third grade it's become so routine that it practically sounds robotic, no one is actually thinking of what they're saying. The anthem has reached that level, it's over saturation, I understand lots of people have a deep level of reverence for it and I empathize, but if that's the case wouldn't you prefer it be treated like something a bit more sacred and not played before a monster truck rally, WWF match, or the Cleveland Browns vs the New York Giants?

This is a good answer. Thanks for sharing.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Are you kidding me TS?

I see far more respect from NHL players for the anthem than any other sport. Also, considering how much NHL players play (the number of games), being respectful is enough IMO.

Next, I think PK Subban deserves props for his stance that he would stand for the anthem no matter what.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
like i said why should they is something you should ask the nhl committe. im not controlling and has been part of the tradition for longer then you were alive

I must have missed the memo from the NHL stating that the players must sing along to the anthems.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Try singing along to this

Thats what happens when your cheap owner finds your singer on kijiji.

I remember Phil Kessel always used to sing the Canadian anthem. Back when I loved that man.

edit: damn. just saw karlsson sat down way before the Canadian anthem ended, playing in the capital of Canada. Smh Ottawa typical.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Imagine being stood next to someone on the bench belting one of those out. You'd die of shame.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
They should get rid of national anthems at sporting events. If they want to honor a military veteran after the warmup, cool, but then they should also honor the various other patriots (medical field, scientists, teachers, social workers, etc).

Anthems aside, the military, at least in the States, pays for all those veteran ceremonies to market and drive recruitment. That's why you don't see scientists and social workers being honored.

Reactions: McDavidMania
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad