Why does Werenski get so much hype but Zaitsev doesn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Both are rookies and both are in the top 5 rookie D in assists with Zaitsev #3 and werenski #5

Zaitsev is also playing for a much weaker defensive team than what werenski came into.

I'm just confused why everyone is sleeping on this guy, including Toronto media which never mentions his name or even talks about him.

I know werenski is younger but that doesn't mean zaitsev should be forgotten and treated like he's some scrub that won't be resigned next year.

because the hockey world in general and HF boards in particular couldn't stand another over hyped Maple Leaf? :sarcasm:

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Because Zaitsev is good on trash D core.

Werenski is good on great D core, making him easy to compare.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Besides the obvious answer... look at their dates of birth...

Let me break this down for you... on any given half hour show on the Toronto Sports Network they spend:
  • 15 minutes talking about Matthew
  • 10 minutes on Marner
  • 1 minute on Nylander
  • 1 minute on McDavid
  • 1 minute on Crosby
  • 1 minute on the flavor of the day
  • 1 minute on the rest of the league

There is simply no time to talk about another 25 year old Russian rookie.

Just be happy that you got a very good dman for free... a right handed one.

Yeah I'm at TSN two days a week and this is beyond accurate. Matthews and Marner are the selling points, and on D Rielly is still the guy people want to hear about.

Compared to Werenski, it's obviously more impressive to have this impressive a season at 19 than 25, but neither one should be discredited. Both will be very good d-men for years to come.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Because one of them is 19 years old and the other is 25 with lots of pro experience?

Zaitsev is 25

Werenski is 19

Edit: damn too slow.

Zaitsev is 25 years old coming from being an all star at KHL...

One is 19 and the other is 25....

Zaitsev is easily the best rookie defenseman but the guy is 25, he really shouldn't even be eligible for the calder.

Because one is 25 with 317 games of professional hockey under his belt, while the other is 19 who played college hockey last year..

GJ gang! We solved another cold case.

I am surprised that the Toronto Sports Network (TSN) and MapleLeaf Sportsnet aren't pumping his tires even more, but that might take away some of the air time needed to cover other TML players pets so I guess they can't cut out that type of hard-hitting journalism.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Age. Now, one must ask if Nikita Zaitsev was like Brian Rafalski before he came to the NHL. in Brian Rafalski's final season in Europe---for HIFK in what is now Liiga, he averaged a point a game as a defenseman, Rafalski was called the best player not in the NHL...and then the Devils signed hi,. Rafalski went to average 5 points per 8 games in his NHL career (515 points in 833 games), despite not coming to the NHL until age 26. Last year, with CSKA, Zaitsev was at 0.57 ppg. This season, he isn't far behind at 0.47 ppg (despite just 2 goals---2-24). He should garner some talk as a gem that Shanahan found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad