News Article: Why Does the National Media Just Hate The Vancouver Canucks !!!

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
Doesnt bother me tbh. I dont care what people think about the Canucks, i just care about things that involve making the canucks better etc. I cant change what they write or think so why bother.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
I know Media members always say with there proud voice !!! I am Neutral and I only want a good game. Ok so they do not want to cheer anyone to victory . But I can tell you which team in Canada they Hate

Your Vancouver Canucks!!! Time after Time they rip on the team. Whether they are the best team in the NHL . please see ( 2011) or how we are going trough a tough time now. Ever notice that when a highlight is shown about a player the Canucks are always the team that player X is scoring on.

Sure there are classy members from the media - like Labrun and Mackenzie who do there jobs like pros

but the Dregers, Cox, Simpson, Healy Spector and now all the Analytical nerds

all the time none stop.

Just this out the latest

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-helped-tampa-pittsburgh-conference-final/

I would love to say the media hates us, but leading up to the lotto Edmonton was the most maligned city and team. The media and everyone hates Edmonton. FOr good reason

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
National media = basically Toronto media
Toronto + Vancouver = biggest English rivalry in Canada (sorry Ottawa but there really isn't a rivalry there dispute the lack of distance between the 2 teams)

Vancouver/Toronto also have the longest streaks without Stanley Cups wins (Alberta teams, Montreal all won... Ottawa/Winnipeg revivals were more recent)... thus adding more fuel to the rivlry

Vancouver ex-GMs -> Toronto GMs and of course some have connections to the "National" media (including family ties). aka Burke/Norris era on both teams pretty much happened right after each other

Drama between Maple Leafs/Canucks continue off the ice (i.e. Sedins and how Toronto were supposely tampering)

It also didn't help that we completely owned the Maple Leafs for years thus creating more hate from Leaf fans since 'nucks fans aren't really the best winners (aka rub it in)

Aside from the Toronto issue, former 'nucks GM MG really never got along with the media all that well. He did what he had to and nothing more. To make matters worst, i believe he also said he did NOT like 'nucks playing in Hockey Night in Canada and it seems like the relationship between CBC/Canucks have never been all that good (rather during "good" or "bad" times).

Burrows and Kesler also love playing the role of Villain during the "good" years and also floppers (which seems fine in any sport except Hockey?). That reputation takes a while to undue (as seen by our lack of PPs tho honestly referees are a joke in just about every sports... the better coverage, the bigger flaw we see in umpires/referees).

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
By no means am I a fan of Sportsnet-Toronto-centric hockey coverage, but even outside of sport, blaming the media has ever the cowards way to ignoring actual problems.

"The Canucks aren't badly run! You just don't like us!" Well, the Canucks are badly run. They also may not like us, and maybe one has something to do with the other. Maybe it's not a conspiracy.

Another thing: As a fan base we could do with less of these inferiority complexes. You can't make people like what you like. You can't force people to like what you like. If Talking Head in Toronto doesn't like theCanucks, who cares? Isn't it enough that you like it?

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Typical BC persecution complex, an issue which transcends pro sports.

we have nothing to be persecuted about. we live in a great, progressive, world class, world leading city.

as far as outsiders are concerned, we're Canada. We're that beautiful city who hosted those great olympics and Toronto is that cold place that elected rob ford.

if someone is worried about Vancouver's standing with the rest of the world and it's not related to cost of living, you're probably misplaced your priorities.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
we have nothing to be persecuted about. we live in a great, progressive, world class, world leading city.

It's an issue that goes back to the Confederation League and is part of the province's psyche, IMO. There's always been a very us vs. them mentality when it comes to folks in BC vs others.

And OP was whining about Daren Dreger saying he wouldn't want to live in Vancouver (or whatever.) Nothing to do with the media's coverage of the Canucks. Not really relevant to the original point, but an "outsider" is sullying the honor of mine faire city, so let's complain.

as far as outsiders are concerned, we're Canada.

See what I mean?

We're that beautiful city who hosted those great olympics and Toronto is that cold place that elected rob ford.

And it always goes back to the Toronto comparisons. Vancouver is the Chicago to Toronto's New York.

if someone is worried about Vancouver's standing with the rest of the world and it's not related to cost of living, you're probably misplaced your priorities.

I'm not talking about Vancouver's "standing", I'm talking about a general attitude that can be found in British Columbians who feel that the 'outside world' is envious or outright hostile towards them for 'reasons.'

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
It's an issue that goes back to the Confederation League and is part of the province's psyche, IMO. There's always been a very us vs. them mentality when it comes to folks in BC vs others.

And OP was whining about Daren Dreger saying he wouldn't want to live in Vancouver (or whatever.) Nothing to do with the media's coverage of the Canucks. Not really relevant to the original point, but an "outsider" is sullying the honor of mine faire city, so let's complain.

See what I mean?

And it always goes back to the Toronto comparisons. Vancouver is the Chicago to Toronto's New York.

I'm not talking about Vancouver's "standing", I'm talking about a general attitude that can be found in British Columbians who feel that the 'outside world' is envious or outright hostile towards them for 'reasons.'

the intention of my post was to agree with you and to point out why that persecution complex is silly (not deny its existence). when I mentioned Toronto, i was speaking in terms that people like the OP would understand. i fell pretty confident about Vancouver's place in the world and think it was kind of crappy of you to turn it around like that.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
By no means am I a fan of Sportsnet-Toronto-centric hockey coverage, but even outside of sport, blaming the media has ever the cowards way to ignoring actual problems.

"The Canucks aren't badly run! You just don't like us!" Well, the Canucks are badly run. They also may not like us, and maybe one has something to do with the other. Maybe it's not a conspiracy.

Another thing: As a fan base we could do with less of these inferiority complexes. You can't make people like what you like. You can't force people to like what you like. If Talking Head in Toronto doesn't like theCanucks, who cares? Isn't it enough that you like it?

I don't think anyone disagrees with the media about how bad of a GM Benning is. The media is without a doubt right on that one as seen with majority of people not liking Benning at all.

Also i think you're trying to change the topic away from discussing the national media vs 'nucks. I don't think the media has stated Vancouver being a bad place to live nor is that even 'nucks related (or topic related). The argument is rather or not "national media" is bias against the 'nucks or not and its hard to argue they aren't.

As far as blaming the media for failure? I think most fans are blaming Linden/Benning/etc not the media. The media doesn't play hockey and really have no influence on where NHL players want to go. The management determines that. When Gillis was GM, Vancouver was a place players wanted to come to/take discount to play for because the organization was well run and winning. This was dispute bad media relationships and honestly the media was just the same back then and more or less the same personal.

For 'nucks fans, if you want this to change, its simple just don't watch sportsnet at all. Go with NHL center ice or another streaming service (ideally with no profits going to Rogers). The less you watch sportsnet, the less money they make and in the case of hockey, the more likely they'll change personal or at least change the ones used to cover western Canada. If they notice all 'nucks fan subscribing and watching 'nucks game via center ice instead of sportsnet, they'll lose ad money and no one will be watching their "hockey experts" (since ads and intermissions/sports break are all cut off streams and replaced by a blank screen stating the game will resume after break/intermission).

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
I know Media members always say with there proud voice !!! I am Neutral and I only want a good game. Ok so they do not want to cheer anyone to victory . But I can tell you which team in Canada they Hate

Your Vancouver Canucks!!! Time after Time they rip on the team. Whether they are the best team in the NHL . please see ( 2011) or how we are going trough a tough time now. Ever notice that when a highlight is shown about a player the Canucks are always the team that player X is scoring on.

Sure there are classy members from the media - like Labrun and Mackenzie who do there jobs like pros

but the Dregers, Cox, Simpson, Healy Spector and now all the Analytical nerds

all the time none stop.

Just this out the latest

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-helped-tampa-pittsburgh-conference-final/

The article gives a decent, somewhat balanced argument against both deals. I can't see it as slamming the Canucks just because they think both deals stink. What does that say about approximately 35 % of the people who come here?
But the premise that some of the Ontario-based media, especially Dreger and Healy (and the dork PJ Stock, who thankfully has become a small player), have a burn for the Canucks is fairly obvious.

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Canucks are weak and weak get picked on until they hit absolute bottom and finally decide to stand up for themselves to demand respect. Until that happens mute the TV and put down that newspaper.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The article gives a decent, somewhat balanced argument against both deals. I can't see it as slamming the Canucks just because they think both deals stink. What does that say about approximately 35 % of the people who come here?
But the premise that some of the Ontario-based media, especially Dreger and Healy (and the dork PJ Stock, who thankfully has become a small player), have a burn for the Canucks is fairly obvious.

PJ stock was ALWAYS a small player.:sarcasm:

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
PJ stock was ALWAYS a small player.:sarcasm:

Depends.

pj_stock-1.png

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the national media is actually starting to feel sorry for the Vancouver Canucks and particularly their fans...in many ways sympathy is worse than hostility....sort of the same treatment Lowe, McTavish and Eakins received in Edmonton before the hook mercifully came out.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
Flame fans voice the same complaints, the referee's, the media, the league are all out to get the Flames.
Every fan base sees themselves as some sort of victim or a team being singled out for unfair treatment.

JA

I don't really see it right now. There was plenty of disdain when the Canucks were contenders, but the hostility isn't there anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Flame fans voice the same complaints, the referee's, the media, the league are all out to get the Flames.
Every fan base sees themselves as some sort of victim or a team being singled out for unfair treatment.

it's so weird, what's the deal?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I think you can make a very valid claim that the canucks were the most hated team by the media from 2010/2014. In 2015 I felt like the media was fairly pro canucks and pro the canucks new regime, this year like vanjack suggested they've been almost sympathetic towards us. I actually don't feel like the media has been as hard on vancouver recently as they should be.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
WHEN the Canucks team goes back to winning then the real hating begins again, this is nothing.

(lol you mean like in 10 years?) nah I think next season and especially the 2017/18 season this team will come back...book it, then you can bring up this post in social media glory. mwahaha

*runs back to canuckscorner*

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
There's always been a lot regional animosity in the country as there is elsewhere

Let's face it, Canada was set up on the British colonial model of the 18th Century where the outer regions of the colonies were suppose to send their raw materials to England where they could manufactured and England would get all the value added benefits. England also picked all the dough from the commercial and business services involved. (insurance, banking, transport etcc..)

In Canada the original deal was the outer regions would send their raw materials to the East and than buy back the finished goods. Idea was the resources of the West would be plundered by the East (much as was done in the States were everything was run out of New York). Only reason IMO Quebec joined up was a promise they would share the booty.

This plan was reinforced by the National Program which put high duty on imports meaning that Westerns had to buy expensive stuff from the Eaton's catalog and couldn't sell their exports a better prices abroad. Even freight rates were rigged so manufacturing could only be done in the East. And, naturally, the West had no political power.

Even though that system was made untenable by globalization and replaced by NAFTA and other programs, a lot of lingering effects and aspects remain. Ontario, and especially Toronto, still see them themselves as the heartland of Canada and want to control all the central financial and political institutions of the nations. Growth of Vancouver, and especially the international recognition garnered through things such as the Olympic Games, turned Vancouver into a something of a rival center and thus a challenge. This rivalry gets expressed somewhat in the best Canadian way possible - through their hockey teams.

Central or Toronto-centric media have done much to perpetuate a poor image of the West Coast. East likes us best when we are displayed as the bumpkins depicted in the Beachcomber show or as all doped up on BC Bud. Helps to justify the idea that people out here are too ignorant or irresponsible to manage their own affairs and should be happy they have the erudite people of Toronto to do it for them. (sort of extension on the white man's burden)

In my view, I loved to see something like Cascadia emerge. Won't happen but would lead to an ability to locally control things like fisheries and off shore lands. As it is, we will, no doubt, continue along our often awkward and animosity-ridden path with people we little know and don't really really care for. And all the while ragging on each others teams.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Jesus, why doesn't anyone actually read the article in the OP? There literally isn't a single thing in it I couldn't cull from threads here. Seriously, I could probably go through about the last six months' worth of the Management threads and recreate it word for word.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
the intention of my post was to agree with you and to point out why that persecution complex is silly (not deny its existence). when I mentioned Toronto, i was speaking in terms that people like the OP would understand. i fell pretty confident about Vancouver's place in the world and think it was kind of crappy of you to turn it around like that.

I don't think you understood the point I was making or were using sarcasm so heavy it makes molasses look like helium.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
The media wants to get people to read/listen to their product. They just reflect what they perceive the atmosphere of a fan base.

For years Oiler fans were all about the kool-aid and the media would go on about how their building something special over there. The fans eventually stopped believing in Lowe and the media followed suit. I don't think the media led the way there.

Calgary is the team that's been mired in mediocrity for a long time, but at least they play the right way! Prairie folks are better people and so are their players!

The Vancouver fan base is self loathing and perpetually waiting for the other shoe to drop. That's what the national media mirrors when they talk about the Canucks. I think a little stoicism from our fans would go a long way towards getting the media to end the endless negativity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad