Why does Steven Stamkos underperform as a goal-scorer in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
OP, I think you're not going far enough. Washington is obviously on a date with destiny, the Lightning are hardly going to score in this series (esp. Stamkos), and there's no way we see the Lightning in the SC final this year.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He's yet to have a bad playoffs. So i don't get this thread. But goal scoring wise, and why he doesn't score as much in the playoffs is because his two best goal scoring seasons were years his team didn't make the playoffs.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
He's yet to have a bad playoffs. So i don't get this thread. But goal scoring wise, and why he doesn't score as much in the playoffs is because his two best goal scoring seasons were years his team didn't make the playoffs.
I'll always remember his one assist in six games in the 2015 Finals. The team needed him to step up after the Triplets line was rendered useless because of injuries and he completely crapped the bed.

Reactions: varank

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
A caps fan making this thread, Yikes. And good luck on this not coming back to bite yall in the ass.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'm pretty sure that in these playoffs Stamkos has scored more goals per game than during the regular season. Odd timing for the thread.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
I'm pretty sure that in these playoffs Stamkos has scored more goals per game than during the regular season. Odd timing for the thread.

Pretty the same GPG

Regular Season: 0.35
Playoffs (so far): 0.36

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He and Ovi are the greatest goal scorers of the modern era.

But the gap between the 2 is just massive. Ovi scares me way, way more.

Yeah Stamkos had a nice game tonight, but let’s see him do it again. Ovi has been a consistent beast in the postseason and will add a Conn Smythe to his trophy case this year IMO.

What is the modern era? Crosby has an argument to be quite close to Stamkos. His peak goalscoring is quite close despite a full season at his peak and has been a significantly better playoff goalscoring resume in GPG and goals scored.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
What is the modern era? Crosby has an argument to be quite close to Stamkos. His peak goalscoring is quite close despite a full season at his peak and has been a significantly better playoff goalscoring resume in GPG and goals scored.

Playoff goals scored can't be used against Stamkos like that when Crosby has played 100 more games. GPG, sure. But I think you'll find it varies pretty hard among all types of players. Look at Scheifele this year. Not exactly known to be a goal per game player.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Playoff goals scored can't be used against Stamkos like that when Crosby has played 100 more games. GPG, sure. But I think you'll find it varies pretty hard among all types of players. Look at Scheifele this year. Not exactly known to be a goal per game player.

The amount of games certainly has to be considered. It shows how consistently elite he has been. One could look at Crosby's GPG in 10/11 and conclude he was better than Stamkos in 11/12 but that would not be fair either.

I would say that Crosby is closer to Stamkos than Stamkos is to OV, and playoff goalscoring plays a significant factor in that assessment.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
The amount of games certainly has to be considered. It shows how consistently elite he has been. One could look at Crosby's GPG in 10/11 and conclude he was better than Stamkos in 11/12 but that would not be fair either.

I would say that Crosby is closer to Stamkos than Stamkos is to OV, and playoff goalscoring plays a significant factor in that assessment.

Crosby has played 100 more playoff games and scores a whole 0.05 gpg more in the playoffs than Stamkos. Total goals can not be used against Stamkos, and the goals per game are close, with as people have said, Stamkos' peak years missing the playoffs. Im not sure how playoffs swings it in Crosby's favour at all.

That said, don't mistake this as me calling Stamkos a better player. He's not. But he is a better goal scorer.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Stamkos is a high-profile scorer but he doesn't actually score that many goals where you go "that was all Stammer". He has one of the best one-timers in the game and reads plays well, but as far as scorers go he's more of a trigger man and finisher of plays than a guy who makes things happen by himself. Fortunately he's had some great players to play with in his career and guys who have been able to set him up but to execute those plays in the playoffs is always more difficult.

He's not a dominating player physically, a wonder on skates nor is he incredibly slick with the puck that he'd dance around guys. So yeah in essence he doesn't have anything special going for him in terms of fighting off great checking.

Not to sound like Stamkos is a bad player because he's obviously not. But i don't think he's a player who can dominate in the playoffs. Basically all he can really do is get incredibly hot and score on pretty much every shot - something that might not ever happen. Not every player have those dream playoff runs where everything goes right. That said it's been 60 games now and he hasn't been super hot i don't think at any point, so you got to think if you add another 60 games there has to be some hot series' in there.

Reactions: Mikey 48

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby has played 100 more playoff games and scores a whole 0.05 gpg more in the playoffs than Stamkos. Total goals can not be used against Stamkos, and the goals per game are close, with as people have said, Stamkos' peak years missing the playoffs. Im not sure how playoffs swings it in Crosby's favour at all.

That said, don't mistake this as me calling Stamkos a better player. He's not. But he is a better goal scorer.

It's actually .09 which is a bigger gap than Stamkos has on Crosby in career GPG.

Speaking of peak, they have the same GPG during Stamkos' peak

NHL.com - Stats

And guess how many more games Stamkos played during that time? 100

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I’ve been waiting for this thread to pop up. I agree so far he’s been a poor playoff performer. I think if the Lightning win this series, he is going to have to be a big part of it.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Powerplays aren't handed out so easily that's a big part of it. Also all things considered Crosby is a better goal scorer than Stamkos. Stamkos has a better one timer though.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Historically, players who are predominantly either goal-scorers or playmakers have to become a bit more balanced come the playoffs. You see a lot more targeted strategies, so a player who is predictable will quickly get shut down.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
On a team full of guys who get better in the playoffs, Stamkos is a guy who tends to take a step back. That said, the only bright spot in Game 1 vs. the Caps we got a glimpse of vintage Stamkos. I can't remember the last time he looked that dangerous in the playoffs, including the entire 2015 run.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Yes maybe, but you know who really has troubles scoring in the playoffs.

Andre Burakovsky.

And also we are seeing very cold Orlov here, guy hasnt scored in like 10 games or something.

Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Carlson, Oshie have never scored on the third round either. Thats weak from core players who should be carrying this team offensively.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Stamkos has been on a scoring decline for some time now. Injuries.. age??
It does help that Kucherov is there to share the goal scoring "pressure".
I wonder how come he doesn't get more goals with his shot only, even though he no longer has St-Louis to feed him the puck PERFECTLY. It's normal that he is not going to score as much as before, his body is banged up it seems.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
FWIW I know someone with ties to the organization Stamkos is having problems with his knee and thus not playing at 100%. The guy told me he is at 70-80% health.

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Yes maybe, but you know who really has troubles scoring in the playoffs.

Andre Burakovsky.

And also we are seeing very cold Orlov here, guy hasnt scored in like 10 games or something.

Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Carlson, Oshie have never scored on the third round either. Thats weak from core players who should be carrying this team offensively.

Seriously Burakovsky has been a ghost. Didn’t even notice him in pens series.

Stamkos is playing great. Probably most dangerous player in the post season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad