Why does Steven Stamkos underperform as a goal-scorer in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
He is one of my favourite players, and it sucks to see him score at such an underwhelming rate in the playoffs. I get that your stats tend to go down in the playoffs, but even more-so for S.S.

He currently has 3 goals in 10 games, a GPG of 0.3, which translates to 24.6 goals in an 82 game season.
For the playoffs in his career, he has amassed a TOTAL of EIGHTEEN GOALS in 59 GAMES! 59 games! That is a GPG of 0.305, so he is performing at his current pace so far.

He is 0.219 GPG DOWN from his RS pace of 0.524. Basically, you have a 43 goal/season player who scores 19 goals fewer in the playoffs. That is HUGE.

That is horrendous for the second best goal-scorer of his generation.
Because other teams put their top guys against him. It’s disappointing not to see the game breaking side come out, but by having the top defensive guys against him, it opens up the rest of the team a bit more. Hence beating Boston in 5. He and Kucherov had to take Bergeron and Chara pretty much every shift.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Stamkos is more of a perimeter shooter relying on his shot accuracy throughout his career. In the playoffs teams tend to focus more on blocking shots and crowding the front of the net not allowing perimeter shooters much of anything to look at. Playoff goals tend to be more tips and rebounds and even though Stamkos is willing to go to the dirty areas, that doesn't match his skill set as well.
Conversely, its why a guy like Ryjo struggles in the regular season but shows up in the playoffs. Some styles/skill sets are just more conducive to one or the other

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Stamkos hasn't been a prime goal scorer in the league for 2-3 years now, forget about playoffs. Not sure how you could be considered an "elite sniper" and only score 27 goals on a team as talented as Tampa, playing with talent like Kucherov and Hedman, etc.

Stamkos is not a scary goal scorer anymore - I think injuries have taken a toll, if not, can't explain it.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Stamkos hasn't been a prime goal scorer in the league for 2-3 years now, forget about playoffs. Not sure how you could be considered an "elite sniper" and only score 27 goals on a team as talented as Tampa, playing with talent like Kucherov and Hedman, etc.

Stamkos is not a scary goal scorer anymore - I think injuries have taken a toll, if not, can't explain it.

It’s a combination of injuries and the psychological effect of those injuries. Stammer is constantly talking about how he’ll never be 100% again, and while I’m sure that’s true he seems to dwell on it more than most players who have suffered similarly serious injuries. He also rarely attacks the net like he used to which has turned him into a largely perimeter player (though oddly enough he seems to have no problem delivering hits; he just doesn’t like to skate toward the goal since slamming into one and breaking his leg.) It’s really a shame - it’s hard to believe watching him now but there was once a time when people were questioning who was the best between him, Crosby, and Ovechkin. Sadly those days are long gone.

Reactions: Mikey 48
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad