Why does Ryan Lambert hate the Avalanche?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I think it depends on the player.

We didn't even offer Iginla the most years (the Islanders did), and he's been relatively healthy for his entire NHL career. I don't see him as having as big of a likelihood of dropping off.

Beauchemin, while he may be 35 (just turned 35 on June 4th), will play out this year as a 35 year old, next year as a 36 year old, and his last year as a 37 year old (he'll be 37-turning-38 after his contract is up). And on top of that, he broke in late and doesn't have the same amount of "mileage" on his body that a typical 35 year old NHLer has.

Stuart, yes, didn't like the extension at all, but at least the Avs got their picks back for him (just to move down 8 spots and likely nab their guy anyway).

Who is the other one?

Tanguay.

I find it implausible that Iginla won't drop off by the end of his Avs tenure. If they get through this season without a drop off, I'll be (happily) surprised.

Duchene and MacKinnon really have to start carrying this team offensively this season.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I think his point of signing mid-30s guys to 3 year contracts is a darn good one.

Right now, the Avs have 4 players 35 or over who are signed to ~$17M of contracts. For a team not really contending for the Cup, doesn't that seem like a lot?

In fact, now that I did this quick calculation, I wonder which team is paying the most salary to 35+ players this upcoming season? I would find it kind of weird if it were us.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Tanguay.

I find it implausible that Iginla won't drop off by the end of his Avs tenure. If they get through this season without a drop off, I'll be (happily) surprised.

Duchene and MacKinnon really have to start carrying this team offensively this season.

Ah yes, forgot about Tanguay.

I'd like to rephrase. Am I saying it's impossible that Iginla won't experience any type of drop for next year? No, I'm not. It is definitely possible. What helps for him not experiencing that has been his overall fitness and quality as a player. So, no, not impossible.

I do, however, think the GP for Beauchemin bodes well for us, but yes, even he too can have a big drop off that final year (though I'll remain cautiously optimistic that we'll be "okay" for that last year).

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
I do, however, think the GP for Beauchemin bodes well for us, but yes, even he too can have a big drop off that final year (though I'll remain cautiously optimistic that we'll be "okay" for that last year).

That last year Beauchemin could fall of a cliff harder than Wiley Coyote and we'd be FINE. Its a valid criticism of the deal for sure, but annoying how only the downside is identified. The alternative: We don't sign him, then who plays with EJ? Resign Hejda? Rush a prospect? Trading ROR gives us the cap flexibility to overpay over the next few years to achieve TEAM NEEDS. This is why I honestly like the Beuch signing for us better than the 6 years for Sekera would have been. Joe and Patty are thinking well ahead, and know that in 3 years time they will be hard against the cap just resigning young stars. Without Beauchemin the playoffs would be a long shot this season, and whats the downside? Having a plug on the third pairing 3 years from now, for one season?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Bingo, i believe. It was an ongoing gag 2 years ago how he'd post every month about how inevitable the avalanche decline would be - and that this (soon to happen!) tailspin would be the definitive signal of advanced stats victory. First it was that we'd miss the playoffs despite a great start, then that we'd never, ever win the division and were insane to even imagine so. And he harped all that year about how Roy was the worst coach in the league (still does actually). Well that Jack Adams trophy and Central banner hanging in the rafters apparently still keep him up at night.

My worry is that this bozo, and others like him, do have some impact. You see the same lazy arguments Lambert introduces repeated endlessly by other fans - and media. I by no means want to overblow the significance of a yahoo blog hack, but have you not noticed the book on Colorado somehow become an open and shut case? Despite actually proving most stat-heads wrong that season we have ultimately become the case study for why all analytics are forever infallible. Never is it mentioned that our loss to Minnesota could have had anything to do with injuries, nor last seasons 'regression'.

(edit: in fairness, he took a similarly obtuse angle on Calgary all this season)

To be honest it does feel like the media enjoys dumping on the Avs and the reason being because they are the Avs. I don't really see anything else that would make them want to do it.

Everyone in the hockey world agreed that we needed to upgrade our D. We went out and got a highly touted prospect that will be a top-4 guy sooner rather than later (like within 2 years, in my estimation - AND a guy who is already better than half of our D from last year) AND we went out and got a guy who just finished playing the most minutes (regular season AND playoffs) from a team who went to the final four. (they wanted to keep him too - just not for that 3rd year)

So here is my question : Why is it OK for a team like the Montreal Canadiens to sign 35 at that time (soon to be 36 yr old) Andrei Markov to a 3 year - $17.25M contract without much fanfare, a move that went largely unquestioned but when we make that kind of addition to our roster for a guy that's similar and 6 months younger, we've made a terrible mistake - paying him $4.5M per year???

There is a clear and evident double standard in the media as it pertains to the Avalanche and I don't think it's something that can really be ignored. It exists. This is not a Beauchemin thing...it's an Avs thing.

If the Edmonton Oilers had signed Beauchemin to the same exact contract, they would have lauded that signing and claimed it was a "coup" that they were able to snag a d-man with so much experience, and yadda-yadda-yadda. If we had signed Sekera to the Oilers contract, they would have found some way to make that look bad as well - either 'too much term or too much $$$ per year for a guy who's production don't justfiy the dolalr amount'.

It's rather pathetic.

I'm just glad the media is content in failing to mention that the Avs finished the season 35-23-7 after their horrible 4-8-5 start and switching up their d-zone system. And that's without our best d-man for most of that.

The Avs ARE making the playoffs next year and we'll be looking to make some noise as well. It doesn't matter what corsi-box-score-reading morons think.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
In fact, now that I did this quick calculation, I wonder which team is paying the most salary to 35+ players this upcoming season? I would find it kind of weird if it were us.

If we count it from 34 it's definitely Detroit, I would guess anyway. They have about 24-25M in players at 34 or older.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think having Iginla, Tanguay, Beauchemin and Stuart here for the next two-three years is fine. Once they're done, Avs will hopefully have kids ready to step in and if they're not, Avs will be in good shape to sign a UFA or two because cap space has opened up.

I think the last year of Iginla will be fine. If he gives us 20 goals and 45 points, he's of use here. The last year of Beauchemin probably won't be great, but then we have no Stuart by then so he can drop down to the third pairing.

It's not like any of those contracts are anchors that will handicap the team. I'd much rather be stuck with these than Phaneuf for the next six years, even though Phaneuf is younger.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think his point of signing mid-30s guys to 3 year contracts is a darn good one.

Right now, the Avs have 4 players 35 or over who are signed to ~$17M of contracts. For a team not really contending for the Cup, doesn't that seem like a lot?

I would like some vet leadership on this team and avoid a repeat of the void between Smyth and Lappy leaving and Giggy kicking the money changers out.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

But does it really matter though? If anything it could be a very good thing as when they are leaving it gives us a lot of cap room.

As for their play dropping off because of their age, yes it is a concern obviously but again I think they put some thoughts into these decisions before making them. If they still can play at a high level, who cares about there age. Stuart is the only questionable one out of the four at 3.2M but the contract is only for two years. The last years on Iginla's and Beauch's contracts were mainly to get them signed. Especially Beauch as I still maintain that what we really need from him is two more good years at the level he played last year...one year beside EJ and then possibly beside Barrie if they can move Zads up beside EJ. I think the pairings would work better and give a little less minutes to Beauch which would be a good thing by then. The third year is muchless important as we should (hope?) have one of the kids ready to take over.

If the old guys can still provide what they were brought in for besides leadership and experience (Tangs is playmaking and PK, Iginla is goals, Stuart is PK and physical play, and Beauch is to play with EJ) I really don't care how old they are. So far it seems they can still do it so I'm fine with paying them 17M combined.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
So are you Ryan Lambert? It seems you love bumping this thread with links to his articles.

Sadly i need validation from others Avs fans that this isn't all in my head. Every fan feels their team gets a raw deal, i know, but its not paranoia if they are out to get you!

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
If I'm Ryan Lambert, I'm not going to be in a rush to take a close look at the real reasons behind the Avs' struggles last year, or to find the bright spots (of which there were plenty). I'll just whip out the told-you-so's--it's much easier to try to make Avalanche fans feel delusional about envisioning their roster as anything besides a hot dumpster fire.

I think we should be careful not to fall victim to a persecution complex. It seems safe to say that the media's attitude towards the team will not change until the results on the ice do. Although Roy has not done anything outwardly ridiculous since his tiff with Bruce Boudreau, the reputation he carries seems to bring an extra helping of skepticism towards any move the team makes now that the honeymoon phase is over. I've never seen someone earn so much criticism for winning the Jack Adams.

Lambert's a Calgary fan, and he wrote some pretty brutal stuff about them last year before finally going full-gush on Johnny Gaudreau once it was clear they could win games without Giordano. His purpose as a writer is to underline a team's glaring flaws and rub them in as hard as he can. For me, it's the stink-eyes we're getting elsewhere for things like the Soderberg or Beauchemin signings that sting the most. Then again: if expectations are that low (once again), then another reversal of fortune will be all the sweeter.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
a bit off topic, but Lambert's breakdown on What is Stepan worth? is pretty good. If he were to put that kind of effort/style in all his writing, he might just be a consistently good read.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
a bit off topic, but Lambert's breakdown on What is Stepan worth? is pretty good. If he were to put that kind of effort/style in all his writing, he might just be a consistently good read.

His comments about AVS are not so good:

Colorado Avalanche: The Avs want the team to get faster in the future, so that's what they worked on at development camp. I dunno, though. Seems fine to me. Look how quickly the stars expiring contracts skipped town the last two summers.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If there is anyone the advanced stat crowd should predict a regression for, it's Stepan.

In five seasons, his ES GF% is 61.3%. His CF% is 50.6%. This is over almost 5000 minutes of ES so it's massive sample.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
If there is anyone the advanced stat crowd should predict a regression for, it's Stepan.

In five seasons, his ES GF% is 61.3%. His CF% is 50.6%. This is over almost 5000 minutes of ES so it's massive sample.

yup, but rangers corsi is 50% during that time period. and GF% should stay higher than corsi (not that high though) as lundqvist is between the pipes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Anybody else vote we close this thread? Bumping it every few months seems an awful lot like free advertising for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad