Why do you cheer for the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Wendel17

Aug 21, 2007
potvin.jpg

This current team has no heart. I miss Gilmour, Clark, Thomas, Roberts, Mogilny and Sundin. Sigh...

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
This current team has no heart. I miss Gilmour, Clark, Thomas, Roberts, Mogilny and Sundin. Sigh...

The league is different now too though.

Even that Sundin era, they were never really contenders at all. I remember back then wishing we had a stronger, more homegrown team. Sundin had to play with Hoglund for example, and when we got Mogilny it was on the backside of his career.

This town deserves better at some point.

I actually like some of the core here (or the fact that we have a core) and hopefully even though it looks bad now, a few bold tweaks can be made and the bottom six can be improved enough that this thing looks a lot better and looking upward soon.

This team is way better situated than the immediate post-Sundin era that's for sure, which resulted in how many years without playoffs?. That was the darkest time I've gone through (became a fan in '96, didnt' catch the Gilmour/Clarke era)

Despite the 18-wheelers, this team is not gonna miss the playoffs for the next decade. This is not a team where Matt Stajan is your best hope.

Then again, I could be wrong :laugh:

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
Darryl Sittler scored 10 points against Boston in the first game I had ever watched. I am a lifer and went through the Ballard 80's. Have never once contemplated watching any other team.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Because I'm an idiot :)

And grew up watching these guys. Some of my best memories involved awesome days at a cottage followed by cold beer watching HNIC

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
My father was always a big fan of both the Leafs and Bruins. We watched HNIC together every Saturday night so it was impossible for me to not become a Leafs fan too.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
I moved to Toronto about 10 years ago and was a sundin fan from the national team so it came naturally when I started to follow the NHL.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I inherited the attachment to the Maple Leafs. My grandfather and father used to listen to Foster Hewitt broadcast from the gondola in Maple Leaf Gardens on the family farm in Depression struck Saskatchewan in the Dirty Thirties. "Hello Canada and hockey fans in the United States and Newfoundland!" That Saturday ritual was one of the few bright spots in those hard times.

Then my father was at the University of Toronto during the war years of the forties, when interuniversity sport was cancelled. There were many young men at short courses during that time, however, and there was a thriving intramural league. Dad was coached by Leaf Hall of Famer Red Horner.

Between listening to Foster Hewitt and hearing Red Horner's stories, Dad had a wealth of tales about Charlie Conacher, Joe Primeau, King Clancy and the other old time Leafs. Red Horner claimed that a huge portion of his then record penalty minute totals came from finishing fights started by King Clancy. So vivid were those stories that I was in my late teens before I finally realized that Dad had never sctually seen those old Leafs play.

By the fifties, I was on the scene and able to get involved in watching the Leafs on our first family TV, just about the time Punch Imlach was reviving the Leafs from what then seemed a long spell of mediocrity. Dad took me to the Gardens to watch the Rangers, led by the great Andy Bathgate, in about 1958. When he realized I couldn't make out the numbers on the players' uniforms, he also learned I needed glasses. Then I was around for the four Cups of the sixties. I can still close my eyes and see Bobby Baun score the overtime goal in the finals against Detroit... playing on a broken leg. And I can picture George Armstrong, who by that point could barely skate, lumbering down the wing to sink the empty net goal that sealed the 67 Cup. By then, not even the outrageous incompetence of the Ballard regime could drive me away. I was hooked.

My own family had come around by the time, I moved back to Toronto as a adult. We knew Dodo Imlach, Punch's lovely widow. One day she gave Punch's complementary tickets to my two sons. I took them to the Gardens and, from up close, they saw Doug Gilmour's 1000th point. They are now Leaf fans also

Am I disappointed by this season's collapse? You bet I am, but by now the attachment to the Leafs is thoroughly ingrained. I'll be cheering again next year, assuming I am on the right side of the sod.

Actually, I've reached the age where, statistically, it is unlikely that I will see the end of the careers of the more successful players from the drafts I now follow. So be it. I would very much like to live long enough, however, to see the Leafs win another Cup. That, I am starting to worry about! Still, if I am gone by that time, my sons will raise a glass in my memory. At least, I hope it's my sons and not a grandchild. :laugh:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Not Canadian, have never lived in Canada. Grew up in Michigan in a house full of Red Wings fans. The Wings at the time were known as the Dead Wings. They had a youthful Steve Yzerman before he was converted to a trap zombie by Scotty Bowman. They didn't have much else though. I liked the Leafs coverage on HNIC much better than the Red Wings coverage. And the Leafs were crazy wide open. I remember Al Iafrate leading some rushes. Wendel Clark was young and kicking butt. I just liked the Leafs better, and the more I grew to love the Leafs, the more I hated the Red Wings. The 1993 win over the Wings in the first round was kind of my Stanley Cup. Too bad we never got the real thing. It's all Kerry Fraser's fault.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Not Canadian, have never lived in Canada. Grew up in Michigan in a house full of Red Wings fans. The Wings at the time were known as the Dead Wings. They had a youthful Steve Yzerman before he was converted to a trap zombie by Scotty Bowman. They didn't have much else though. I liked the Leafs coverage on HNIC much better than the Red Wings coverage. And the Leafs were crazy wide open. I remember Al Iafrate leading some rushes. Wendel Clark was young and kicking butt. I just liked the Leafs better, and the more I grew to love the Leafs, the more I hated the Red Wings. The 1993 win over the Wings in the first round was kind of my Stanley Cup. Too bad we never got the real thing. It's all Kerry Fraser's fault.

93 was their year to win. Pittsburgh was the best team in the league, but with Lemeiux out with cancer, it made the parity very close and anyone could win. In 93 a lot of Leafs were having career years Gilmour, Clark, Borchevky, Potvin, etc. Too bad Fraser made a mistake at a crucial time. He did alteast admit his mistake, but 18 years later, I think he wanted to retire with a clear conscious.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
My great grandfather helped build Maple Leaf Gardens. He and my grandfather and father were all true blue fans. Tradition. Hopefully I will see them win a cup before I die.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
My great grandfather helped build Maple Leaf Gardens. He and my grandfather and father were all true blue fans. Tradition. Hopefully I will see them win a cup before I die.

I went to a couple of games at MLG, great arena. The sightlines were outstanding. The other arena I really liked was the old Chicago Stadium. Joe Louis is an absolute dump with terrible sightlines. Never been to the ACC but it doesn't look like anything special. I heard from my dad that Olympia was great, really small with a balcony I believe, sure wish I could have caught a game there before it closed.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
I grew up around the 'hip-hop' culture and 99% of my friends follow the NBA. I find basketball to be entertaining for the last 5 minutes of a game whereas i've found hockey to be the most exciting sport to watch. Period. I gained an interest in hockey at the age of 5ish (although I didn't know jack about the sport lol). I started seriously watching when I was 14. I'm 25 now.

Why do I cheer for the Leafs? Because they are Toronto's team, I cant cheer for any team besides the one in which I reside.

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
I inherited the attachment to the Maple Leafs. My grandfather and father used to listen to Foster Hewitt broadcast from the gondola in Maple Leaf Gardens on the family farm in Depression struck Saskatchewan in the Dirty Thirties. "Hello Canada and hockey fans in the United States and Newfoundland!" That Saturday ritual was one of the few bright spots in those hard times.

Then my father was at the University of Toronto during the war years of the forties, when interuniversity sport was cancelled. There were many young men at short courses during that time, however, and there was a thriving intramural league. Dad was coached by Leaf Hall of Famer Red Horner.

Between listening to Foster Hewitt and hearing Red Horner's stories, Dad had a wealth of tales about Charlie Conacher, Joe Primeau, King Clancy and the other old time Leafs. Red Horner claimed that a huge portion of his then record penalty minute totals came from finishing fights started by King Clancy. So vivid were those stories that I was in my late teens before I finally realized that Dad had never sctually seen those old Leafs play.

By the fifties, I was on the scene and able to get involved in watching the Leafs on our first family TV, just about the time Punch Imlach was reviving the Leafs from what then seemed a long spell of mediocrity. Dad took me to the Gardens to watch the Rangers, led by the great Andy Bathgate, in about 1958. When he realized I couldn't make out the numbers on the players' uniforms, he also learned I needed glasses. Then I was around for the four Cups of the sixties. I can still close my eyes and see Bobby Baun score the overtime goal in the finals against Detroit... playing on a broken leg. And I can picture George Armstrong, who by that point could barely skate, lumbering down the wing to sink the empty net goal that sealed the 67 Cup. By then, not even the outrageous incompetence of the Ballard regime could drive me away. I was hooked.

My own family had come around by the time, I moved back to Toronto as a adult. We knew Dodo Imlach, Punch's lovely widow. One day she gave Punch's complementary tickets to my two sons. I took them to the Gardens and, from up close, they saw Doug Gilmour's 1000th point. They are now Leaf fans also

Am I disappointed by this season's collapse? You bet I am, but by now the attachment to the Leafs is thoroughly ingrained. I'll be cheering again next year, assuming I am on the right side of the sod.

Actually, I've reached the age where, statistically, it is unlikely that I will see the end of the careers of the more successful players from the drafts I now follow. So be it. I would very much like to live long enough, however, to see the Leafs win another Cup. That, I am starting to worry about! Still, if I am gone by that time, my sons will raise a glass in my memory. At least, I hope it's my sons and not a grandchild. :laugh:
This was great to read, thanks for sharing.

Bluejaysfan*

Because I was a bad person in my previous life, so this is punishment...

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
At the age of 53, I've been a Leaf fan since I was a little girl. Growing up in the Yukon back when I was young, we had CBC for TV and that's pretty much it. So Saturday night it was hockey. Don't remember what influenced me to become a fan of this team. But as far back as I remember, I've been a fan.

I love the game of hockey and through all of the good times and all of the bad times in my life somewhere in the back ground this team has been a part of my life. When the team is in disarray like it is now, it really sucks. But when it's good, it's spectacular. Being a fan of this team is an incredible roller coaster ride. And I'm unapologetic about sticking with the team.

The Leafs are a part, and not a small part, of the fabric of my life or history or whatever you want to call it. And as has been mentioned before, when they are successful again, it will be epic. And I plan on soaking it all up. Cannot wait! Although, of course, it looks like I'll have to.....lol

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
At the age of 53, I've been a Leaf fan since I was a little girl. Growing up in the Yukon back when I was young, we had CBC for TV and that's pretty much it. So Saturday night it was hockey. Don't remember what influenced me to become a fan of this team. But as far back as I remember, I've been a fan.

I love the game of hockey and through all of the good times and all of the bad times in my life somewhere in the back ground this team has been a part of my life. When the team is in disarray like it is now, it really sucks. But when it's good, it's spectacular. Being a fan of this team is an incredible roller coaster ride. And I'm unapologetic about sticking with the team.

The Leafs are a part, and not a small part, of the fabric of my life or history or whatever you want to call it. And as has been mentioned before, when they are successful again, it will be epic. And I plan on soaking it all up. Cannot wait! Although, of course, it looks like I'll have to.....lol

I hope your wish comes true. Every fan of this team deserves to see some success and especially for someone with a great post like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad