Why do you cheer for the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Reposted from several years ago. So sad that this still applies...

Dear Abby

I'm so confused. I've been going out with this girl for a really long time, almost 50 years. She's a swell gal and everything, but lately… I dunno, it just seems kind of fruitless. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels in this relationship, going nowhere fast.

When I first got to know her, back in 1966, well she was one of 6 girls available; and since she was in my home town, it only made sense to be attracted to her.

And, wow… Right away, in 1967, we went all the way! Like, I mean, ALL THE WAY. God, that was fun and hot, but I was so naïve and young back then that, to be honest, I probably didn't appreciate it as much as I should have.

Abby, I still remember that wonderful time—my very first time! But that's the problem, Abby. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but that was my only time. I've never done it with her since.

Now, I know I could have gone with other girls and had a few quickies here and there, but that just isn't me. I've stuck with this girl through thick and thin, and believe me, it's been pretty thin lately. Although I should admit that I was seeing her sister on the sly in 1992 and 1993… That girl really rocked! She didn't mind putting out, and she reminded me how much fun it is to go all the way! But she's just faded away now. Kinda sad really… I bet she'll be moving from town real soon.

But back to my true love. Oh, there've been some great times, don't get me wrong. In 1993, wow, we almost did it again (can you imagine, that would have meant that I would have done both her and her sister that year!), but she just stopped at the last minute. Oh so close. Then in 1994, she again brought me to the brink and then just suddenly went cold once again (God, she loved to tease back then!)

She went thru another teasing phase in 1999. I really thought we'd go all the way that time, but no, she turned the faucets off again just when I was getting very aroused. I really thought I'd score with her in 2002, but—yes, you guessed it— she just went frigid once again at a really critical time.

Honestly, Abby, I didn't mind the teasing. That was fun in its own way, although nothing like going all the way.

But this is the problem, Abby: Since 2002 she's been rather dull. Like, not even a hint of fun, and she doesn't even tease in the slightest way. I put in all this time, dating her about 80 times a year, but I get no rewards. Yeah, some dates we might kiss and hold hands and she looks lovely that night, but a lot of nights she is just awful, real hideous. And her attitude? Let's not go there.

Anyway, she told me she was getting a makeover this summer, so I was really looking forward to seeing her. She told me about all the things she'd be doing, like fixing her back end, improving her front end, and working on her attitude.

Well, we've had 80 dates so far this year, and I'm so disappointed! Abby, her back end is as droopy as ever! And her front? Saggy and soft best describes it—no firmness whatsoever. This girl won't be winning any beauty contests, believe me!

There are now 29 other girls I could date, but I just can't. I really love this one girl. To be honest, the other girls kinda revolt me (especially the witch from Montreal, oh, and the one from Vancouver… God, they make me puke, they're so full of themselves).

But I feel like I'm wasting my time, Abby. I've invested a lot of time, money, and emotion into this girl, but I just don't think I'm going to get rewarded any time soon. I'm seriously considering going celibate or at least drastically cutting down on the number of dates I have with this girl. Abby, what should I do?

Welcome to my life story as a Leafs fan! :help:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Been a Leafs fan since I was born I suppose. Growing up in Toronto I couldn't imagine supporting another team. Perhaps that indicates that I have a mild mental health issue.

MILD? :facepalm:

:):handclap::yo::laugh: and :biglaugh:

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I was 9 when I started cheering for the leafs. I'm 22 now and most of friends know me as the die hard leafs fan. Trying to settle in with a new team would feel incredibly weird and fake.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
i don't think "Stockholm Syndrome" is applied well here.

You are free to cheer for any team you like. No one put a gun to your head to like the Leafs.

Very delayed response by me here, but...

I'm mostly making a joke, being a *****. Just so tired of watching a crummy team. Want a team that looks like they care more than 1 out of every 10 games.

I'll always be a Leafs fan, sometimes I just wish I wasn't :laugh:.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I've been in this abusive relationship for over 3 decades. Why stop now?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1) They have neat uniforms.
2) I like how they spell "Leafs."
3) I drew their name out of a hat.
4) I was going to root for Detroit but where's the fun in always making the playoffs?
5) Force of habit.
6) An accumulation of various forms of brain damage.

---leaning toward #6.

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
At this point it is more for the love of the sport and because I have an irrational/psychopathic attachment to this city. The Leafs are like a well meaning but bumbling older relative, that I can never resent. Despite their continuous screw-ups.

That and numerous concussions + resultant CTE.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
cause this is my city? what kind of stupid question is that

why are there capital fans in washington
why are there hawk fans in chicago

apparently it doesnt matter considering the amount of leaf nation
in ottawa and via around the world

if i was living in montreal, id prob cheer for the canadiens
lol... its called loyalty

also it's not only i cheer for the Leafs...
i am a Leaf, i am bound to the Team until the day i die
proudly die a Leaf fan

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
The first HNIC I really watched was the first ever Leafs Canucks game I think.
It was 1970 and I was 7.
Being in BC I expected to cheer for the Canucks, but the Leafs had Jacques Plante in net. His mask the goalie gear, the way he moved in net, and they way he looked in that 70's leaf sweater, he was the coolest looking man outside of the Beatles. I instantly wanted to be a goalie, and instantly became a Leaf fan. My avatar is a tribute to Plante.

I've always allowed myself to cheer for other teams though, mostly if I liked the goalie, but not against the Leafs.

Still there have been times where it was so clear the Leafs ownership/management were lost or the roster was pretty unlikeable that I have focused on other teams or interests. I don't want to do that now because I really do think Bernier could become something pretty special but I have no big attachment to any other player on the current team and for the most part I think they are pretty lost again.
Phaneuf with the C and contract is tough to take.

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
i cheer for the maple leaf..the blue n white...the "brand"..i must be a massive"homer"..
i love being a leaf fan..there are so many of us all over the world...we are hated..there are leaf fans in every arena in the league, cheering for our team..im proud to be a fan more than im proud of our team (lately)...we are the most loyal fans in the world..and like someone else rightly mentioned...when our team is actually successful it will be "epic"!!!

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
because i like being fed bullpoop year after year. and also to have my hopes dashed year after year in an unimaginable way. can't wait to see what creative way we choose the end the season next year.

leafs are like a drug, you want to stop enjoying them, but you can't. i'll see you guys next year, and 40 years from now as well.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Great question OP. Easy answer for those from TO but for other fans not from Hogtown it varies widely, I'm sure. For myself, grew up in the Maritimes in the 60s, everyone was either a Habs, Leafs of Bruins fan. I chose the Leafs as a kid in the 60s probably because they has a lot of success in that decade. Stuck on them ever since.

Wendel17

Aug 21, 2007
Why do I cheer for the Leafs? Great question. I really don't know anymore why I cheer for the Leafs. What an embarrassing collection of losers. Three years in a row they choke. Brutal.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
potvin.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad