Why do people keep saying Sedins time is coming to an end?

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
In my opinion it depends on the context. If you believe that for the Canucks to win a cup they need Art Ross caliber forwards on their top line, and knowing the Sedins will (if they haven't already) become something less than that, you're likely to point that out.

If you think that we have some good young talent in the wings, and that the Sedins can happily continue into their late 30's as productive top 6 guys, with the need for more and more secondary scoring each passing year, you're probably less concerned.

But I think there is legitimate concern that the team won't employ all-star forwards, Art Ross caliber players and that's necessary to win a cup, you're worried

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Because no Canucks fans actually want to remain positive so we want to poo-poo on the possibility of having the twins around for another 5-7 years.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
At the end of their current contract they'll be a couple of months away from 35. Depending on if the Canucks are still realistically considered contenders, I can see them going home to play for a couple of years. Not saying it's likely, It just wouldn't surprise me. Re-siging in Vancouver for anything over two years would surprise me.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I don't think there is anything urgent, and they will almost certainly re-sign for another 3 or 4 years. However there are other factors to consider.

1. I wouldn't class the Sedins as generational, but they are certainly elite players. In each draft, there are maybe 1 or 2 players that have the potential to have the kind of impact that Henrik and Daniel have.

2. Their production has fallen off of their peak (100 - 110pts). IMO, a successful NHL top line has to have an 80+ point play maker and a 30 goal scorer. The Sedins right now are right on the edge of that. I think their numbers are down a bit this season due to the lack of a pre-season and period of games where, due to injury, the Canucks played a very safe, defensive oriented game. But I would be pleasantly surprised if they have another 100 point season between them.

3. If the Sedins become a 2nd line, is the Ryan Kesler line a first line? That remains to be seen. If Kesler can return to his 2010-11 form, and Kassian can become a 25 - 30 goal power forward, and one of Higgins, Hansen, Raymond can consistently put up 25 goals, possibly. But RK17 finishes almost every season injured (broken jaw, broken finger, hip/labrum, shoulder ...).

4. I like our prospects, but realistically, we don't have a single prospect who is a sure fire top line forward. But that I mean someone who can carry a line and put up 80+ points and/or 30+ goals. Jensen could be a 1st line player, but as a winger, he is not going to carry the line offensively. Gaunce - looks really good as an overage junior, but it's a little early to slap a C on his chest and expect 80 points out of him. Jordan Schroeder looks to be a 2nd/3rd line center, who if he continues to develop on both sides of the puck, could be a future Derek Roy (a 1st/2nd tweener). Kellan Lain - seems to have 3rd line centre stamped on his forehead.

5. Anyone we draft this spring is likely to be 3 years away from having an impact. Because of our depth, we don't need to rush players or put them into situations where they will fail. However, when there is a deep draft, like this one is expected to be, you have to think to the future of our offense (and our defense as well).

6. Duh - there are 2 of them. As they have always played together, their production is pretty much in lock step. It is reasonable to assume that their skills deteriorate at the same pace, so when 1 of them retires, they likely both retire.

So considering all that, we do need to plan for succession - over the next 3 years, we need to have players who can step up and challenge the Sedins for top line minutes and roles.

Last edited:

Wizeman*

I think the Twins have a couple of peak years left in them , and then can settle into second line duty for a year or so.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
Originally Posted by Beziro
A few months ago, Henrik Sedin was on Team1040 and said he and Daniel understand that they will not get $6 million a year and they are willing to take a pay cut and go on 1-year deals after this contact is up.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
The Sedins hit their peak a lot later than most elite players. Gretzky, for instance, started declining offensively at 25. Of course, most players wished they had a decline like his.

I'd argue he had the most noticeable decline after that puke Gary Suter gave him that cheapshot. His back was never the same.

And for the "repeat performance", Gary Suter gave another cheapshot that likely shortened Paul Kariya's career (he was never the same afterwards).

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
A few months ago, Henrik Sedin was on Team1040 and said he and Daniel understand that they will not get $6 million a year and they are willing to take a pay cut and go on 1-year deals after this contact is up.
This actually makes sense for them. Instead of signing a 3-4 year deal, just go with one-off contracts and then bail to Sweden when the team needs to rebuild.

Garth Butcher

Feb 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
The sedins are not physical players and are smart players. there is no reason they can not keep playing longer then most NHL players do. as a whole the sedins have had a lot less injuries then most. correct me if I'm wrong but one has the 3rd longest active iron man streak going now. only question is do they wanna keep playing for years to come or do they want to go home and play for modo.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

How much of a pay cut? On a 1 year deal I'd be happy with $5M, though $4M (and I'd even give a few years with that) would be extremely ideal and allow us to add another $4M player to our roster.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Unless the Canucks add another top offensive Dman like Ehrhoff I think the Sedins days of being scoring champs are probably behind them. But to say that they are old and on the decline is kind of a simplified version of the wishful thinking you see from CalPuck. Their game strikes me as the kind that will age well and if they are surrounded by complimentary players I think they'll be point per game players until their late 30s.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
It's the nature of the human race, always looking for the next, better, younger thing. And people really want to point out something wrong with the Canucks that will lead to their demise.

Same reason you hear Cory Schneider reffered to as 'almost 30.'

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
They were slow and choked under pressure to begin with. Now they're in visible decline this season and noticeably not as dominant against lousy teams. It's time to begin building around a new core. Although I will be curious to see how the Sedins play next season with a complete training camp and a reasonable schedule.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
The way Sedins play will allow them to play until their 40 years without missing a beat. Their game doesn't rely on speed, they're just extremely smart players that are dedicated to train every off-season. Their career stops when they no longer have the heart to play anymore and just want to relax.

Sedin's don't strike as a pair that will play until they're 40. I have no doubt they would be able to play until this age but as soon as they drop off from being 1st line players I can very easily see them retiring (perhaps in 4 years from now)

EDIT: Also at the start of this season I made sure every time I watch a Canucks game I appreciate what the Sedin's do. Because I know we'll miss them when they're gone. Soak it all in now, they are something special

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
How much of a pay cut? On a 1 year deal I'd be happy with $5M, though $4M (and I'd even give a few years with that) would be extremely ideal and allow us to add another $4M player to our roster.

Backed off the whole "I will be happy when they are traded for Olli Jokinen" thing I see. :p:

Dado

The Sedins may be at peak physical condition for 32 year olds, but it's just plain biology that peak 32 is lower than peak 25 (barring medical issues).

They are still very good hockey players and there is no reason to suspect they won't be for a while yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad