Why Do Most Canadians Shoot Lefty?

El Nino 22

May 3, 2014
Minnesota
I am right handed and shoot left. The only time I tried to flex a stick right handed I snapped it. Imagine how hard I would shoot if i shot right. I would have stone hands though.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Well in America you don't want your kid to be a lefty communist so you get him a right handed stick. The opposite holds true in Canada :)

The blade on my left handed stick curves to the right?

Last edited:

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
I am a canadian left handed in everything and i play hockey as a lefty

Feel like stick handling is one of my strenght but being a lefty my right hand is actually pretty "natural" also

El Nino 22

May 3, 2014
Minnesota
From what I understand, it comes down to two things:

1 What sport you learned first.
2 Which hand your "teacher" is.

Most Americans learn to play swing a baseball bat first. That translates to having your dominate hand closer to the end of bat/blade.

Yeah I don't know why so many Americans naturally pick up a stick and play right handed from birth. I didn't play hockey till I was 8 or 9 so I had already played baseball quite a bit. I bat right. When I went to get a new stick I naturally felt better with a lefty. Anyways, right handed players should shoot left.

EDIT: I write left handed but my right arm is stronger so I don't know what that makes me but my stronger hand is on top.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'm right handed and I shoot righty. It blew me away when I found out I was in the minority. Stickhandling is one of my strengths to boot, go figure.

Slashing is my strength so the bottom dominant hand thing might be true for me. Stickhandling and shooting are weaknesses. Tripping and hooking are okay.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Some people are trying to make this WAY more complicated than it is.

There is no "right way" or "wrong way". It's what you feel most comfortable doing at the start, then you keep doing it and get good at doing it that way.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Your catching hand is your dominant hand? That's odd. I'd have assumed if you're a lefty, you caught right. Must make baseball awkward (I'm envisioning you catching and then taking the glove off so you can throw with the same hand).

I'm right-handed and shoot right but when I play goal I shoot left. But in baseball terms my left hand is my catching hand.

Oh its incredibly awkward, and is why I'm so terrible at baseball. For some reason, my body wants to both catch and throw left. I have tried to force one of them onto the right, but it never sticks.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
ive always shot right handed but upon learning about the better stickhandling being opposite i tried it out. Felt so weird. Imagine how much better canada could be if they held the stick properly. my god.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
I had no idea people played with their dominant hand NOT at the bottom of the stick whenever you hold it to me it also relates to how you shift your weight on and off the stick and it just seems like it would be really weird to do that on your offside

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
The WJC Russian team that played Team Canada today only had two right handed players in the entire team

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
If you want to talk about "theory" on left vs right, it actually should be dominant hand at the top if you had to pick.

So really, it should be moreso, "Why Do Most Americans Shoot Righty?"

HabsInsideOut

Sep 20, 2008
Montreal
I'm in awe how many people use their dominant hand on top. I was always considered myself a decent player, but would otherwise be worthless with my left hand on the bottom. Didn't know righties shooting right was that rare

sutlaf

Nov 16, 2011
there were no right handed sticks in the store when i first bought mines :cry:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
My dominant hand, right, is always on top.

I shoot left for hockey, left for golf, and swing left in Baseball

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I can do both, but for preference I shoot right handed because it feels more comfortable to me and I feel like I can get more on my shot. However, whenever I use a left handed stick I feel that it is easier to puck handle.

I have more of a quicker snap when I use a left handed stick, and I maneuver a lot more better with the puck and stick but the accuracy just isn't there. It's easier for me to stick handle with my right hand on the butt and my left hand on the bottom but I dunno, quicker snap but no accuracy like I said.

I also switch hit when I played baseball.

I wouldn't be screwed over though if I break sticks and was forced to use a dif stick :) I play roller hockey and have a right handed stick as my primary and a backup right hander and another left hander. Usually my friends like me using the left hander so I can just rip them off when they pass to me (they use the right hander, I noticed that a lot of Americans use right handed sticks) so I believe there is some truth to most Canadians shooting lefty

Oct 18, 2010
I grew up with right handed equipment hand me downs so I shoot left, throw right (left hand baseball glove). Worked out for hockey since I'm left handed but it feels so unnatural throwing with my left even though the arm feels way stronger. I feel pretty good with both hands for basketball.

it definitely feels more beneficial to have the dominant hand at the top.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I had no idea people played with their dominant hand NOT at the bottom of the stick whenever you hold it to me it also relates to how you shift your weight on and off the stick and it just seems like it would be really weird to do that on your offside

That's a good point about shifting your weight. Dominant hand on the bottom means the weight shift is the same as when throwing a ball, which I assume most of us did before picking up a hockey stick. I could definitely see dominant hand on bottom being the more immediately natural choice when picking up a stick for the first time and trying to shoot. As mentioned previously though, if you're learning to skate and they give you a stick (without a puck to shoot), you'd probably end up holding it in your dominant hold only (at the top).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad