Why Do Most Canadians Shoot Lefty?

Muh

Beadle
Dec 9, 2010
Sloatsburg, NY
Most Canadians play with their dominant hand at the top of the stick, which is better for stickhandling, while most Americans play with the dominant hand on the bottom, like how you would hold a baseball bat.

This is why most of the best shooters in general shoot righty and most of the best stickhandlers shoot lefty.

is this true? Majority use dominant hand on bottom of bat for baseball?

I don't have time now, gonna look it up tomorrow, but I would've guessed it the other way around.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
The correct way is your dominant hand on the handling portion of the stick. Which is the top hand.

That's the reason there are a majority of lefties in the NHL.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I always though if you play D and you're skating backwards, crossing over, poke checking etc you most certainly want the strong hand on the stick, which would mean right handed skaters shoot left.

I'm American and shoot left. But I'm 10 min from the border haha

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
This is my theory: parents in Canada tend to know more about hockey and likely played it while they were younger, while parents in the United States are less likely to have played it when they were kids. U.S. parents buy their children righty sticks because they assume that they are what would be more natural for a right-handed child. Canadian parents know a bit more and are more willing to buy righty children lefty sticks when they're kids because they know that tends to be more natural.

I'm American and neither of my parents had ever played hockey before, but they at least allowed me to pick the stick that felt most natural to me before I started playing at 5. I'm righty and shoot lefty, but most of my right-handed friends shot righty. It made me rarely have to play my off side on defense at least :laugh:

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
I've never understood this logic. Can someone explain why:
I consider myself right handed (writing, using scissors, eating)
But I shoot left and throw left.

But in baseball in bat right.

In golf I use left clubs.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm a right handed person, and I shoot right. Dominant hand on the bottom part of the stick. It's how I was taught. New Jersey and PA have great youth hockey programs and most of the people I grew up with shot right as well.

I don't have time now, gonna look it up tomorrow, but I would've guessed it the other way around.

I think he might mean, if you hold a hockey stick like a bat, the right hand is on top, so when you actually use it like a stick, the right hand moves down the shaft.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Everyone watches Don Cherry in Canada. Ovechkin and Kovalchuk arent good ole Canadian kids and they shoot right handed...

Therefore, Don Cherry is the reason Canadians shoot Lefty

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND

It's definitely the other way around. Most use their dominant hand on top in baseball, which is comparable to using ones dominant hand on bottom in hockey, if that makes sense. That's why the baseball theory makes some sense. The bottom hand on the bat in baseball plays a more similar role to the top hand on the stick in hockey.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I'm an American. I'm a righty that shoots left. I guess it was the way I was taught. The other way is awkward and I could never imagine shooting like that.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
I'm Canadian and a lefty. I'm more comfortable with my dominant hand on the bottom so I shoot left but I can easily switch. Same in baseball, I can hit both sides about equal. But I can't throw anything with my right hand although I play guitar right handed. It's not rocket science, it's all about what you're comfortable with.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
From what I understand, it comes down to two things:

1 What sport you learned first.
2 Which hand your "teacher" is.

Most Americans learn to play swing a baseball bat first. That translates to having your dominate hand closer to the end of bat/blade.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Left hander here and shoot right, although when I wanted to teach myself to play goalie I went left hand shot because I also catch left and I valued glove over shot.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

The top and bottom in hockey and baseball are reversed. To avoid ambiguity, let's say "nearest the body" and "away from the body". Canadians usually prefer their dominant hand near their body while Americans usually prefer their dominant hand away from their body.

The theory is that Americans are more likely to encounter sports like baseball and golf where you always swing with two hands on the bat/club and power is vital. For Canadians hockey normally comes first and controlling puck is more useful early on than power. Skating without the puck is also easier with the stick in just the dominant hand and that makes defending easier too.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
I think its because when you are a kid, learning how to play defense, you hold the stick in whatever hand you prefer.

For example, Im a southpaw but shoot right.

In Canada, how to use your stick tends to be the priority rather then skating. In other countries skating takes precedent.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
The hand you grab the stick with will likely be the one at the butt-end of the stick, and likely be the hand you use most often.

I am a lefty who shoots right, and it makes perfect sense to me.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Left hander here and shoot right, although when I wanted to teach myself to play goalie I went left hand shot because I also catch left and I valued glove over shot.

Your catching hand is your dominant hand? That's odd. I'd have assumed if you're a lefty, you caught right. Must make baseball awkward (I'm envisioning you catching and then taking the glove off so you can throw with the same hand).

I'm right-handed and shoot right but when I play goal I shoot left. But in baseball terms my left hand is my catching hand.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
The top hand is the control hand and the bottom hand is the power hand. That's why hockey players should have their dominant hand on top and baseball players should have the dominant hand on the bottom.

Most Canadians play hockey first and most Americans play baseball first.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Really???

I thought that you play with your dominant hand on the bottom.

The dominant hand is on top. Righties shoot left. There are in genral more righties and more players shotting left.

The whole thing may be influenced by culture in different countries. In some countries it is or was usual to force lefties to change the dominant hand. Not so much recently, so there should be more right side shooters in general now.

I for my part started with left, then had a phase maybe as 11-13y.o. when I for whatever reason was more comfortable with a right handed stick, but then changed back to left and stayed. Go figure.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I'm right handed and I shoot righty. It blew me away when I found out I was in the minority. Stickhandling is one of my strengths to boot, go figure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad