Why do England suck?

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
very good.

For the sake of being specific, why don't England produce any great players? Coaching? Mentality? Investment? Culture?

You could argue you don't even need great players, and you can succeed with teamwork and a plan, as Iceland are proving.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
England produces great players who all fail to be able to play together when they play for their national team. For their club teams they win trophies. There is no other country who hasn't won an international trophy in 50 years who has also produced players like they have in the last 50 years. Portugal's the only comparable I suppose, but they had a long period where they didn't produce much of anything.

It's the culture of national team coaching and the idea that the most talented players can be thrown out there with no regards as to how they will play.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Which English players (the ones on the 23 for this past Euro) are currently the best players on their team?

Harry Kane, arguably? Maybe Barkley??

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
England has the ball to start the game vs Iceland

What do they do? Long ball of course, which results in a throw in for Iceland.
And Kane was like " good pass buddy"

Sums it up

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Their standard of coaching seems poor, at the highest level aren't there only like 3-4 English managers in the Premier League and even in the second tier more and more are venturing towards foreign managers. You cannot name 10 legitimate domestic coaches for this job, unless you consider the likes of Steve Bruce and Neil Warnock legit contenders

A bit of over arrogance, though I'm not sure that applies to the players and managers as much as the media. I mean even yesterday I was hearing nonsense like "how many of the Italian squad would get in the England team?"

They really don't have an identity either, seems every tournament it changes whether its formation or style of play but at the end of the day it basically becomes slow passing with a long ball over the top, I guess that's their real identity.

Not that they are entitled to do so, but the Premier League doesn't do much to benefit the national team, unlike the DFB/Bundesliga for example. The head people at EPL would sell their mothers for more money

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
The English football NT are the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I'm going to explain:

- rich history
- won last time 50 years ago
- poor management/ coaching
- unable to develop a better than mediocre goalie
- supporters overvalue own players/ prospects
- high expectations everytime a season/ tournament starts
- have some good players on the team from time to time (Lampard/Gerrard/Scholes/the LA guy) and still have no real contender.

Obviously the english development system sucks. Germany and France and even Spain learned their lesson some years ago.

Last edited:

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
In addition to the poor coaching, English players rarely ever move abroad, so they always learn to play the same way. Eric Dier is a CB/DM yet he is one of England's most creative and best players with the ball at his feet, and it's no surprise that he is one of the only players in the squad who wasn't developed in England.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Their standard of coaching seems poor, at the highest level aren't there only like 3-4 English managers in the Premier League and even in the second tier more and more are venturing towards foreign managers. You cannot name 10 legitimate domestic coaches for this job, unless you consider the likes of Steve Bruce and Neil Warnock legit contenders

A bit of over arrogance, though I'm not sure that applies to the players and managers as much as the media. I mean even yesterday I was hearing nonsense like "how many of the Italian squad would get in the England team?"

They really don't have an identity either, seems every tournament it changes whether its formation or style of play but at the end of the day it basically becomes slow passing with a long ball over the top, I guess that's their real identity.

Not that they are entitled to do so, but the Premier League doesn't do much to benefit the national team, unlike the DFB/Bundesliga for example. The head people at EPL would sell their mothers for more money

All valid and accurate points. I think I remember seeing that England has far less A-licensed coaches than any other large football nation, and also charges far more to become one. Even yourselves in Croatia, despite having 10% of England's population, consistently produce better players.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don't know, but I'm praying they hire Klinnsman.

I will really enjoy telling them "what were your expectations? he's doing what he can with limited talent" as they've been telling Americans for years

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004

I will really enjoy telling them "what were your expectations? he's doing what he can with limited talent" as they've been telling Americans for years

I read that report today, too.
This can't be serious.:help:

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Politics. I'm always amused at how the flavour of the week from England gets called up and thrown into their starting XI. Not a stretch to say that they had as much talent as Germany, France, and Belgium.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Politics. I'm always amused at how the flavour of the week from England gets called up and thrown into their starting XI. Not a stretch to say that they had as much talent as Germany, France, and Belgium.

It's a very big stretch to say that.

It's not a big stretch to say they are as talented as Italy though. Italy plays as a team and is well coached. England does not play as a team and are not well coached. They seem weak mentally too, maybe it's arrogance.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

All 3 of those countries have much more talent than England. There are guys who didn't make the French team that would be contenders to start on England.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Much like the US, England's last knockout win was against Ecuador, so he'll feel right at home. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad