Why didn't Lindros want to play in Quebec?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The quote was ridiculous, implying that Lindros was classier than Mario because of an empty gesture which was, if anything, insulting. Lindros going up to the podium and putting on the jersey he knew he'd never really wear, of the team he was demanding to be traded from, was in no way better than Mario not going up to the podium.

lindros never put on the jersey, just put it under his arm.

lindrosgiletnordiques.gif

he did, however, pose for the obligatory picture.

eric-lindros-draft.jpg

but that's neither here nor there. whether lindros or mario were classier kind of misses the real point of that quote, whether you agree or disagree with that article.

The Lindros's had reputations for negotiating like the Russians.They never gave an inch, ever.They were unreasonably stubborn, even over small points that would have helped to create some goodwill and wouldn't have cost them in any material way.

just a sidenote: you could take the word "russians" out of that post and replace it with "pat quinn" and it still works the same.

but back on topic, lindros's behaviour through his entire career up to the (second) rangers trade was a whole lot of me first. we can argue until the cows come home about whether he had a right to act like he did or not, but i look back at it and then look at the current sports landscape, where someone like kevin durant is spoken about like he's the dalai lama for not acting like a giant baby and demanding to be moved from his small market team, and i shake my head. but i guess it's a different world now.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The Lindros family wrote a book after the 1991 draft to explain "their" side of the story. It still didn't make them look good. They wanted marketing available to Eric, they wanted money and not a small market. Even when they explained it, this is pretty much it came down to. The fact that they did the exact same thing in 1989 with the Greyhounds in the OHL makes you feel even less sorry for them, then and now. They were living in Toronto and Bonnie and Carl didn't want poor Eric playing all the way up in Sault Ste. Marie. Phil Esposito was the GM of the team at this time and to be honest he has said a lot less about this situation than Phil usually would for some reason. But they drafted Eric anyway, and why wouldn't they? Imagine licking your chops and knowing you can get Connor McDavid on your team. That's pretty much what it came down to.

Ya, called Fire on Ice, and the explanation they gave for refusing to allow Eric to report to the Sault was all about "education". They wanted Eric to finish High School & go on to University, however, SSM didnt then nor does it now have a University, in addition to which the team itself, its philosophies at that time (and to this day is the case with most Major Jr clubs) was that hockey came first, education second. In other words, more than likely the kid wouldnt even finish HS if he played for Sault Ste Marie. The OHA actually changed their Draft Rules, permitting teams to trade their #1 picks as a result of Lindro's refusal to report after being selected.... as far as Quebec is concerned, apparently Bonnie Lindros didnt think the franchise was stable (as mentioned earlier) and secondly, was small market (which it was & still is) and would limit his marketability & sponsorship opportunities.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was informed years ago, by someone who knew all the parties involved, that Bonnie Lindros did not think the franchise or the market there stable enough.This person also told me that Lindros could have signed a 2 yr deal and then become a UFA and walked and the Nords would have had no recourse.I believe his word, he's a top agent.

do not want to call theguy a liar-- but he would not have become a UFA nor would he have fallen into the catagoryof being able to get a offer sheet after two years

Something that came out right before he retired suggested at the time-- only Vancouver and Toronto were Canadian teams he was willing to play for. IT was all about "Brand Lindros" and how he was going to be marketed-- small market teams and teams in non hockey markets was not an option

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Remember as well the mess the Nordiques got themselves into when seemingly theyd also agreed to a trade with the Rangers? An Arbitrator, Larry Bertuzzi (Grand Uncle of Todd) was appointed by the league to sort the mess out. Seems the Rangers had offered $12M in Cash, Doug Weight, Tony Amonte, Alex Kovalev & John Vanbiesbrouck along with 3 - 1st Round Draft Picks in 1993, 1994 & 1995....

Reactions: NyQuil

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
He thought(or his parents thought) he was bigger than the game and his massive talents couldn't possibly blossom in such a small market therefore he deemed QC unworthy.

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
do not want to call theguy a liar-- but he would not have become a UFA nor would he have fallen into the catagoryof being able to get a offer sheet after two years

Something that came out right before he retired suggested at the time-- only Vancouver and Toronto were Canadian teams he was willing to play for. IT was all about "Brand Lindros" and how he was going to be marketed-- small market teams and teams in non hockey markets was not an option

He's not a liar, he one of the top agents in the game.I'm sure he knows a lot more than YOU.

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
lindros never put on the jersey, just put it under his arm.

lindrosgiletnordiques.gif

he did, however, pose for the obligatory picture.

eric-lindros-draft.jpg

but that's neither here nor there. whether lindros or mario were classier kind of misses the real point of that quote, whether you agree or disagree with that article.

just a sidenote: you could take the word "russians" out of that post and replace it with "pat quinn" and it still works the same.

but back on topic, lindros's behaviour through his entire career up to the (second) rangers trade was a whole lot of me first. we can argue until the cows come home about whether he had a right to act like he did or not, but i look back at it and then look at the current sports landscape, where someone like kevin durant is spoken about like he's the dalai lama for not acting like a giant baby and demanding to be moved from his small market team, and i shake my head. but i guess it's a different world now.

Maybe you weren't around during the Cold War, but it's very apt to use the word "Russian".Who can forget stone faced Gromyko always saying "nyet"? It was a deliberate negotiating style well know to us in the West.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Lindros came around at a time when the players were starting to flex some muscle.

The PA has a shift in power from Eagleson, Lindros is drafted in 1991, refuses to go to the NHL team that drafted him, and less than a year later, the PA went on strike before the playoffs. It was short lived, but it was the first lit match thrown into the pit, which then eventually led to, so far, 3 lockouts.

Small markets, wanting more money, getting to choose where you play/work. Lindros not going to Quebec didn't cause all that, but it was certainly part of the mix.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Firstly the pay for hockey back then was not what it is now, so that makes the Lindros familys actions much more understandable. Secondly they never took Quebecs value away from them, the Nordiques were still in full position to trade him which they later did for a good haul. So considering that Lindros missed a full season of NHL action becouse of the pick, i dont understand why everyone just keep going on and on about the whole matter.

mgorman

Nov 8, 2013
In the end Quebec won much more in that trade. They got Forsberg plus other great assets such as Ron Hextall... They won 2 cups with Forsberg, Lindros got nada! Forsberg was the player Lindros only dreamed of becoming...

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Darth Yoda your comparing apples to oranges yes players didnt make as much as today but they made many times more than average citizen.Maurice Richard was underpaid by todays standard but he made 7 times what average canadian made.A very good hockey player in 1980 making 300 000 was very good money.You could buy a 2500 sq foot home in Vancouver for 75 000 dollars.That same house in Vancouver is worth 2 million dollars.Its all about economics and a little historical knowledge.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He's not a liar, he one of the top agents in the game.I'm sure he knows a lot more than YOU.

well i played to a top level, worked briefly in the 90's for rich winter (as an intern) after getting "the talk" and had two cousins in the nhl and I played with guys who did make it to the nhl and got some insight for awhile in how things operated. Lindros would not have been a ufa after 2 years. Draft rules changed in the mid 90's-- I got a little more game then some on this site for hockey knowledge on a business side of things. Under the CBA in place when Lindros was DRAFTED (using caps just since you are so fawned of them) Lindros would not have been a UFA until he 28 and he could not get an offer sheet until I believe (this I could have wrong) until he was 21/22 either 3 or 4 years after he got drafted.

Quick question-- how many pages is their in a standard player contract from this time?

btw there was a way for Lindros to be rid of the nords after two year--NOT SIGN WITH THEM(again you like caps) and go back into the draft in 1993 draft and the Nords would have gotten the 35th overall pick (if memory serves me correctly--somewhere between 30 and 35)--he is a fun question for history of Hockey people-- If the Nords do no trade Lindros and Lindros goes into the 1993 draft as a re-entry--Alex daigle who went first would have dropped--sens had the first pick

two questions

1) How far would have Daigle dropped
2) Would Lindros sign with the sens?

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I don't think the Flyers are an innocent party in that fiasco.

Plus, this thread is about what happened when he was a teenager. Obviously he never got it.

No the Flyers weren't innocent at all. Heck, Bobby Clarke isn't what I would call a pillar of the community either, but the common denominator of franchises the Lindros' couldn't get along with trumps it in this case.

How many times do we have to say that no one is bigger than the game? When Gretzky retired in 1999 hockey didn't die. It lost a little bit, but that's because they lost the most easily marketed player to ever play. But it survived. We still miss Gretzky and sometimes long for the old days, but the game is always stronger than an individual. Crosby and Ovechkin will retire someday too and we'll feel empty. But new players will take their place.

Lindros was never even close to the player Gretzky was in his prime but acted like he was God's gift to the NHL from day one. It is not a right to play in the NHL, it is a privilege.

also, Lindros would have likely won the cup if he stayed with Quebec.

The irony huh?

cujoflutie

You never know. One of the pieces the Avs gave up to get Roy was Jocelyn Thibault whom was selected with a pick acquired from Philly. They likely dont win the cup without Roy. Forsberg also went the other way.

I'm almost positive there were comments made about seperatism and the province itself. Lindros was heavily booed in Montreal for the remainder of his career despite the fact that they hated the Nords. Not like you see the many players spurning the Oilers getting booed in Calgary although such may be the case if they ever directly spam Alberta.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Darth Yoda your comparing apples to oranges yes players didnt make as much as today but they made many times more than average citizen.Maurice Richard was underpaid by todays standard but he made 7 times what average canadian made.A very good hockey player in 1980 making 300 000 was very good money.You could buy a 2500 sq foot home in Vancouver for 75 000 dollars.That same house in Vancouver is worth 2 million dollars.Its all about economics and a little historical knowledge.

Gotta get your facts straight here in 80 you could buy a garage attached half duplex in Burnaby (basically a Vancouver special with only the garages attached), which my father did for 72K, the same house might be available in east Van in a "bad" hood and be worth maybe close to a million today but probably much less.

2 million dollar houses sound like the west side and not sure when you could still get one for 75k, maybe in the 70's...maybe.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Does Colorado win any cups if they don't have Forsberg, if they don't get Roy (who was acquired using a piece from the Lindros trade)?

What interests me is the possibility of Lindros playing with Sundin on his wing had he stuck with Quebec. Maybe they do win the cup with those two as well as Sakic and Foote. But then, who do they bring in as goaltender? Perhaps they make a play for Hextall.

Would Quebec have traded Sundin? Not likely, considering they made the move to acquire Wendel Clark to add an element of grit that Lindros would have been able to match.

The whole thing just stinks of what ifs and it really is a shame we never got to see what could have been.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
You never know. One of the pieces the Avs gave up to get Roy was Jocelyn Thibault whom was selected with a pick acquired from Philly. They likely dont win the cup without Roy. Forsberg also went the other way.

I'm almost positive there were comments made about seperatism and the province itself. Lindros was heavily booed in Montreal for the remainder of his career despite the fact that they hated the Nords. Not like you see the many players spurning the Oilers getting booed in Calgary although such may be the case if they ever directly spam Alberta.

I think the Avs still get Roy but probably don't get Deadmarsh if the Lindros trade wasn't made. Remember, Quebec had the 14th overall pick that year as well (which they had used to draft Deadmarsh). If they didn't make the trade, Philly would have 10th overall and Hextall so they probably don't take Thibault at that spot. Neither does Washington with both Carey and Kolzig. Toronto had Potvin, New Jersey had Brodeur. So Thibault probably falls to 14th where the Nordiques take him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad