Why didn't Lindros want to play in Quebec?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Most of the names involved were dealt for other pieces who helped the Rangers win the Cup in '94. Here is what the rumored package was that New York had agreed to trade for Lindros:

Tony Amonte, Alexei Kovalev, Sergei Nemchinov, James Patrick and John Vanbiesbrouck, along with future first round draft picks and cash.
SOURCE: Double Dealing

Here is what the Rangers wound up getting for the players that were offered in the Lindros trade in 1992.

John Vanbiesbrouck: Traded to Vancouver for Doug Lidster (Vanbiesbrouck was left exposed in the expansion draft and taken by Florida).

Tony Amonte: Traded to Chicago for Stephane Matteau and Brian Noonan.

James Patrick: Traded to Hartford for Steve Larmer.

Sergei Nemchinov: Remained as the Rangers' top checking line center until he was dealt to Vancouver (with Brian Noonan) in '97 in order to acquire Esa Tikkanen and Russ Courtnall.

Alexei Kovalev: Scored 21 points in 23 games during the '94 Cup run and was traded four years later to Pittsburgh for Petr Nedved.

Lindros was already a beast in '94, but in his first two seasons in the NHL, the Flyers failed to qualify for the playoffs.

If the Rangers trade goes through, the makeup of the team would be entirely different, and his wingers could very well have been worse than the linemates he had in Philly.

It's an interesting talking point though. And the Nordiques were much better off with the package they ended up receiving from the Flyers. I don't know if the Avs end up winning two Cups without the players they ended up with from Philly, plus what they received when they moved some of those players in later years.
A messier lindros 1 2 punch down the middle throughout the 90s would just be too good imo. We traded away a lot of talent for depth in that 94 run and arguable made the team weaker. If that rumored lindros trade is completed, you still have a core of messier, lindros, graves, tikkanen/weight, leetch, beukeboom, Lowe, zubov, richter.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
I still think that Neilson would have been fired during the 1993 season. He and Messier were clashing a lot, and Neil Smith chose to side with Messier, who already had 5 Cups under his belt.

Agreed, but they only came to ahead when things went south in 92-93. If Lindros is there who knows what happens, may e they even end the curse a year early.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
A messier lindros 1 2 punch down the middle throughout the 90s would just be too good imo. We traded away a lot of talent for depth in that 94 run and arguable made the team weaker. If that rumored lindros trade is completed, you still have a core of messier, lindros, graves, tikkanen/weight, leetch, beukeboom, Lowe, zubov, richter.

True, but remember this Weight was going the other way in the trade and he eventually became Tikkanen. I think they could still get Tikkanen, but You have Messier, Lindros, Nemchinov down the middle. Now imo they should have played him on the right side of Messier. And people forget also that Mike Gartner was still in NY at the time which also would have helped. Guaranteed they still find a way to get Steve larmer as well. I really don't think the depth would have suffered, as Weight and Amonte were both gone in 2 years time and even though Kovalev was a big part of 94 he was a bust all the other years. I think having Lindros > Kovalev in 94 would have helped more.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
True, but Forsberg was a Lindros lite as well. Think about it he had nagging injuries that basically ended his career,and had overprotective parents(In 01-02 his parents begged him to stay home because of the 9/11 attacks) too 1 of whom who was a well regarded coach in Sweden, I thick Clarke would have had the same problems with the Forsbergs as well. Also think about it another way. In Colorado he was always the 2nd line center behind Sakic which means maybe he wasn't always drawing the other teams top d pair and you also have to realize the amount of leadership and experience on those late 90s early 00s AVS teams was through the roof. It really took the responsibility off of him. In Philly he would have been the number 1 guy and when his skill shoed they would have given him the C and the responsibility, something he never had anywhere else. Also his father Kent was a well regarded coach in Sweden, imagine of Clarke hires him, but fires him if things go south, what does Peter do afterwards. Also as I previously alluded to if his parents make him stay home in 01-02 guaranteed Clarke suspends him and his ending as a Flyer is just like Eric's. Basically regardless of either player Clarke was the problem here.

I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree with some of this.

I don't think Forsberg would ever bail on the Flyers and go home because he parents got worried on 9/11. I'm sure there were many people from other countries, and their families, that were nervous and considered going home. I don't recall one player leaving the NHL to return to their country, and I'm sure many of them had families suggesting it might be best to do so... that's human nature. Forsberg was a big boy. I have zero reason to believe he would let his parents run his life and influence his career in a negative way.

Also, I think there is zero chance that Clarke hires Forsberg's dad as coach. Clarke's biggest problem with Carl and Bonnie was that they let their personal feelings infringe into the Flyers locker room. Contract disputes, conversations, handling of the medical staff, etc. all became personal with the Lindros family because their tentacles extended into the team. The Flyers were also a tight family, fraternity of sorts. There's no way they bring in a Swedish coach just because he's the father of their star player. If anything, that would be the last reason Clarke would want that. I don't think Forsberg would want that either, quite frankly. That makes for a ton of potential problems.

As for Forsberg's impact on the Flyers, if the Lindros trade never happened... I think we should consider:

1. The Flyers have always had success with good Swedish players. Lindbergh, Eriksson, Eklund, Renberg, Johnsson, etc. Forsberg would have been no different, he would have been a beloved Flyer. His style of play was perfect for Philly. "Old Forsberg" was loved in Philly - he was also still great, and that was towards the end of his career. I can only imagine how loved he would have been in his prime... skilled, tough, quiet, leadership, gutsy, brave, physical, loaded with character and a penchant for raising his game at the most important time. Danny Briere was a very popular Flyer because he was lights out in the playoffs, and Forsberg's personality, character and quiet toughness reminds me of the most popular Phillie, Chase Utley. Yeah, Philly would have fell in love with Foppa... and if he played his entire career in Philly, he would have been the 2nd or 3rd beloved Flyer of all-time behind Clarke and Parent IMO. Even ahead of Barber, Howe, Propp, MacLeish, Poulin, Giroux, etc. If he wins a Cup with the Flyers, he's number 2 behind Clarke IMO.

2. Ed Snider was destined to add "names" to help sell out his new building. The Flyers also spent a ton of money and were willing to pay anything to acquire players in a non-cap world. There's no doubt in my mind, that if the Lindros deal fell through, the Flyers were going shopping for the next year or two, with the intent of bringing in a couple of big fish, via free agency at the very least. Point being, Forsberg would have been surrounded by some help soon. Even in the meantime, he would have had Recchi, Brind'Amour, Ricci, Dineen, Renberg, Simon, Fedyk, Duchene, Galley, Huffman, Yushkevich, Hextall, to help the transition. I think Ricci's presence in Philly could be being overlooked a bit. In Quebec/Colorado he was a 3rd line center because of Sakic/Sundin and Sakic/Forsberg. In Philly, he is a 2nd line center, at least for the interim, scores a few more points and becomes part of the leadership group. When Forsberg comes over, he's probably close to stepping onto a line with Recchi and Rendberg, while Ricci is centering Brind'Amour and someone else. That's not awful. And, this is without the Flyers snagging an impact player or two. Point being, without the Lindros trade, the Flyers were going to do something to improve the team heading into the CoreStates Center.

Reactions: Killion and mmvvpp

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree with some of this.

I don't think Forsberg would ever bail on the Flyers and go home because he parents got worried on 9/11. I'm sure there were many people from other countries, and their families, that were nervous and considered going home. I don't recall one player leaving the NHL to return to their country, and I'm sure many of them had families suggesting it might be best to do so... that's human nature. Forsberg was a big boy. I have zero reason to believe he would let his parents run his life and influence his career in a negative way..

Except he did, he sat out most of 01-02 for the Avs.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Except he did, he sat out most of 01-02 for the Avs.

He was out the season, but it had nothing to do with 9/11. Forsberg had suffered multiple injuries...

"After all, by 2002, Forsberg had already suffered a shoulder injury, broken ribs, two concussions and a ruptured spleen, which made him miss the entire regular season in 2001-02. His foot problems had also begun, and he had several operations trying to fix things."

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
He was recovering from a spleen injury.

Correct.

Forsberg was a warrior. Instead of being intimidated by monsters like Hatcher and Konstantinov, he attacked them. He was really the only player I ever saw who would be carrying the puck and, instead of bracing for a hit, would become the predator with the puck still on his stick, and blast someone and knock them off their feet. Forsberg had no fear. He was also a player who, when his agent said "the Flyers are interested", immediately told him, "Really? Philly? Very interesting. I'd love to go there." To me, I've always felt that showed the character of Forsberg.

At that point, he was the player who was traded for Lindros. The Flyers gave him up in the deal. Him and Lindros had their encounters and he was always compared to him. Instead of being scorned or feeling slighted that the Flyers gave him up in the deal, he took the opposite approach and jumped at the chance to come to the Flyers. Knowing Forsberg, it was to come full circle and show the team and the fans "what could have been." I think he was motivated by showing everyone in Philly what he could do. Just think stamp goal. This was a motivated dude filled with confidence and ice water veins. Damn, the more I talk about him, the more I'm reminded that he is my favorite player of all-time. What a competitor. And beautiful to watch. He's the type of player, that if you picked up and dropped him into today's game, would dominate the YouTube highlights on a nightly basis. He was special.

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
Correct.

Forsberg was a warrior. Instead of being intimidated by monsters like Hatcher and Konstantinov, he attacked them. He was really the only player I ever saw who would be carrying the puck and, instead of bracing for a hit, would become the predator with the puck still on his stick, and blast someone and knock them off their feet. Forsberg had no fear. He was also a player who, when his agent said "the Flyers are interested", immediately told him, "Really? Philly? Very interesting. I'd love to go there." To me, I've always felt that showed the character of Forsberg.

At that point, he was the player who was traded for Lindros. The Flyers gave him up in the deal. Him and Lindros had their encounters and he was always compared to him. Instead of being scorned or feeling slighted that the Flyers gave him up in the deal, he took the opposite approach and jumped at the chance to come to the Flyers. Knowing Forsberg, it was to come full circle and show the team and the fans "what could have been." I think he was motivated by showing everyone in Philly what he could do. Just think stamp goal. This was a motivated dude filled with confidence and ice water veins. Damn, the more I talk about him, the more I'm reminded that he is my favorite player of all-time. What a competitor. And beautiful to watch. He's the type of player, that if you picked up and dropped him into today's game, would dominate the YouTube highlights on a nightly basis. He was special.

I just wished that the Flyers had traded for Lindros while also keeping Brind'Amour, Forsberg, and Recchi. Man oh man.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
And even if they would have won every year he played there, hes still making leas in merch and less of a star than had he played in toronto or montreal.

Which is why he never signed in quebec

See, I just don't think of it that way, not with a player of the caliber of Lindros. He would make the Nords a household name and more recognizable. Look at certain teams like the Warriors in the NBA. Is there a more recognizable jersey in the NBA right now? Or a more popular one? Not to mention for the rest of our lives we will associate guys like Curry and Durant with that jersey. It will always be popular. Just like the 49ers in the NFL and they've been mediocre if not bad for the better part of two decades.

Lindros would have had that sort of impact. Think about Dionne in L.A. No doubt a HHOFer right? Well, he didn't make the Kings a household name but when Gretzky arrived who do we associate with that jersey? Gretzky. I just think there is always a bit of respect when it comes to the team someone played on. Lemieux was a Hartford Whaler we'd probably look at the Penguins jersey the same way we do the Whalers jersey. Some guys are good enough to sell it, permanently.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
See, I just don't think of it that way, not with a player of the caliber of Lindros. He would make the Nords a household name and more recognizable. Look at certain teams like the Warriors in the NBA. Is there a more recognizable jersey in the NBA right now? Or a more popular one? Not to mention for the rest of our lives we will associate guys like Curry and Durant with that jersey. It will always be popular. Just like the 49ers in the NFL and they've been mediocre if not bad for the better part of two decades.

Lindros would have had that sort of impact. Think about Dionne in L.A. No doubt a HHOFer right? Well, he didn't make the Kings a household name but when Gretzky arrived who do we associate with that jersey? Gretzky. I just think there is always a bit of respect when it comes to the team someone played on. Lemieux was a Hartford Whaler we'd probably look at the Penguins jersey the same way we do the Whalers jersey. Some guys are good enough to sell it, permanently.

Sure enough Phil.... but this whole meme' of Lindros not reporting to Quebec because it was "small market francophone, severely curtailing his off-ice sponsorship opportunities" is in fact a Red Herring. Its disinformation. Yes, it was one of several issues raised, throw away comments made by certain members of the ill advised Lindros Family... pounced on by Aubut & the feral press... making a meal out of it.... "Spoiled little Rich Brat from English Canada, Toronto" and so on... But it wasnt the real reason Eric Lindros didnt Report. The real reason was that they didnt trust (or like for that matter) Marcel Aubut who they were convinced (rightly so) planned to sell & move the franchise.... having had the Province of Quebec turn down his requests for financial support for a new arena. Aubut not even close to having the kind of wealth required to be owning an NHL franchise.

However.... in signing Eric, franchise value would increase substantially with such an asset under contract, the exact same thing theyd already gone through with Phil Esposito & the Soo Greyhounds a few years previously. Phil as well, lying, claimng "clubs not for sale, not moving it" while he had a secret deal with Peter Karmanos to sell, move them to Detroit or environs. Lindros signed, increased price to Karmanos, maximize return for Phil. In a perfect World, the Nordiques back then would have been owned by someone or a corporation with deep pockets, able to privately finance a new facility, withstand the vagaries of then volatile CDN$ and so on. If such an owner had been in place? Lindros wouldve gladly Reported. Marcel Aubut was the problem. He was in the midst of bailing though publicly totally denied it, lied about it, lied to the public, the players & Coaches, to everyone. Insiders though, they knew. Knew exactly what he was up to. Most unfortunate situation as Eric got labelled, Branded early as a self entitled Jerk who has no respect for the people of Quebec, thinks he's bigger than the team, the game... and that stuck.... Wrong.... But no matter how much you try to convince people, long held belief like that, well, good luck.... What Im telling you is Gospel. I was there. Worked out of the same office as his Agent when it all went down.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
SN + Dangle produced a Lindros trade tree video. Good viewing. The animosity Lindros and his family had for Aubut had a major ripple effect on the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->