Why did Yzerman re-sign Coburn?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Because fire Yzerman, that's why. :sarcasm:

Top 4 defensemen don't grow on trees and he's actually cheap. We might hate the last year of that deal though.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Because fire Yzerman, that's why. :sarcasm:

Top 4 defensemen don't grow on trees and he's actually cheap. We might hate the last year of that deal though.
Just seems with koekkoek in our system and deangelo we could have passed on coburn

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Just seems with koekkoek in our system and deangelo we could have passed on coburn

He's helped solidify our blue-line for the past two runs. I would say if Carle is gone, he becomes the new 'Carle' but he's certainly not as bad.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
because of growth and work of the younger guys he played with

i get that but he was bad in playoffs I think if could find a couple cheaper options him and garrison both could move

thing is we like the long sticks of the bigger guys just coburn isnt so great

he did a great job in growth of both nesterov and sustr though imo

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Coburn was barely mentioned in the first two rounds which is always a good sign for a dman. He had a horrible time against the Pens let's not hit the panic button just yet, for a change. If he sucks for a whole season, then we might question the signing.
De Angelo shouldn't be mentioned in the same conversation as Coburn, they have like nothing in common and DeA has still a lot of work to do in the AHL.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
because of growth and work of the younger guys he played with

i get that but he was bad in playoffs I think if could find a couple cheaper options him and garrison both could move

thing is we like the long sticks of the bigger guys just coburn isnt so great

he did a great job in growth of both nesterov and sustr though imo

I guess but I took it as yzerman choose coburn over garrison which has me
Thinking ugh why? Maybe Stevie thinks coburn won't get drafted in expansion and garrison would have ? Idk ? Unless Stevie thought odds are I can't sign Stamkos long term anyway?

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
People tend to overrate prospects/younger players, there is no one within the organization that could done the same job the past two seasons. It's a big step to log top 4 minutes and take such responsibility, Coburn has done a good job at that.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
With Coburn taking 800k less it makes Carle's buyout roughly only 1mil which is easy to handle. He can play on any pairing on either the left or right side and was our most used PKer from what I remember so he does the heavy lifting, you won't find that in the UFA market for 3.7.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
With Coburn taking 800k less it makes Carle's buyout roughly only 1mil which is easy to handle. He can play on any pairing on either the left or right side and was our most used PKer from what I remember so he does the heavy lifting, you won't find that in the UFA market for 3.7.

Hose likes a Lightning player ? Huh !

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
With our salary cap problems why did steve yzerman pay coburn 3.7 per year for three years ?

The Coburn signing does nothing but help our salary cap problems. It was universally seen as a great Yzerman signing. Coburn is a top 4 responsible defenseman who will be a rock for any PMD coming down the pipeline on either side. Coburn will be on babysitting duty for all our prospects including Koekkoek. DeAngelo is barely 20 years old ... he won't sniff the NHL for another 2-3 years. Think Koekkoek's schedule +1.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't mind Coburn, usually pretty solid. Big body and veteran guy. Him and Koekoek played well together, Coburn is more of a stay home guy and allowed Koekkoek to go for some skates and take the puck and go. He took a discount to stay in Tampa too so thats a plus.

Coburn and Garrison, Gary being the better of the two, are both welcome in my opinion!!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I don't mind Coburn, usually pretty solid. Big body and veteran guy. Him and Koekoek played well together, Coburn is more of a stay home guy and allowed Koekkoek to go for some skates and take the puck and go. He took a discount to stay in Tampa too so thats a plus.

Coburn and Garrison, Gary being the better of the two, are both welcome in my opinion!!

Ya but I feel yzerman moves garrison and keeps coburn so why did yzerman choose coburn over garrison is beyond me?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hose likes a Lightning player ? Huh !

I like players who produce up to their contract. Coburn at 3.7 should be a steal if he can play 18 a night with a ton of PK time. Wouldn't like to see a few more points but anything over 15 is perfect. Garrison had a very rough year offensively and didn't quite play at a 4.6 level, wish he was dropping a few hundred k too.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Coburn is good. Very underrated. He did have a horrid series against the Pens, but I think it was clear he was not at full strength.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yzerman had been trying to get Coburn for several years, before he actually acquired him. Did you think he was going to let him walk after dealing significant assets for him? I knew he'd be resigned, and he's on a good deal.

His size/speed combination is a great asset and he's got excellent shutdown capability. He'll be a boon for the defense by covering for Koekkoek once he emerges as a top 4 PMD.

I do think Garrison could potentially be traded, but not until Koekkoek emerges as a legit #3, which he hasn't. Right now the best we can hope for is that Yzerman can find a way to deal Carle and not retain salary. That gives us the best possible group of defensemen. I wouldn't rule out dealing Sustr and coping with Carle if a favorable trade isn't possible.

DeAngelo by all accounts isn't close to being ready and has been a liability in Syracuse. That's a decision for a much later date.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yzerman had been trying to get Coburn for several years, before he actually acquired him. Did you think he was going to let him walk after dealing significant assets for him? I knew he'd be resigned, and he's on a good deal.

His size/speed combination is a great asset and he's got excellent shutdown capability. He'll be a boon for the defense by covering for Koekkoek once he emerges as a top 4 PMD.

I do think Garrison could potentially be traded, but not until Koekkoek emerges as a legit #3, which he hasn't. Right now the best we can hope for is that Yzerman can find a way to deal Carle and not retain salary. That gives us the best possible group of defensemen. I wouldn't rule out dealing Sustr and coping with Carle if a favorable trade isn't possible.

DeAngelo by all accounts isn't close to being ready and has been a liability in Syracuse. That's a decision for a much later date.
I did not know he was trying to get coburn for that long wow. But nowI can't see yzerman dealing carle and not retain any salary. In fact it looks like we could use that coburn 3.7 cap room right now. Unless in fact yzerman feels Stamkos is as good as gone.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
$3.7M is a bargain for a guy that can play 16-20 minutes for 80+ games a season without looking like a pylon out there. He can play the right side and his skating is on par with the team (he's no 2011 Kubina is what I'm saying). And except for a couple games in the Pens series I thought Coburn was rock solid in the post-season with good pinches, physical play and defensively good enough to win games.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah and if we're judging by the Pens series alone then we'd start questioning extending Hedman and asking to get rid of Stralman and that would be insane.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Coburn is not bad. His durability during the regular season is valuable and his experience during the playoffs is valuable. His age and lack of speed are a liability in the playoffs but let's be serious, that was not exposed nearly as bad as it could have been. Credit to him.

With that said, if/when Carle is gone, will Carleburn become a thing?

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
With the set backs DeAngelo is having keeping some vets around isn't a bad idea. You still have Koekkoek who is breaking out and looks like a stud, a few more years when DeAngelo develops and some of the vets exit the D should still be fine.

Hedman, Koekkoek, DeAngelo is still a solid defensive core, given theres no setbacks on development

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
With the set backs DeAngelo is having keeping some vets around isn't a bad idea. You still have Koekkoek who is breaking out and looks like a stud, a few more years when DeAngelo develops and some of the vets exit the D should still be fine.

Hedman, Koekkoek, DeAngelo is still a solid defensive core, given theres no setbacks on development

This.

Coburn is a decent stopgap and the contract is movable. DeAngelo could still be a few years away. He was a healthy scratch something like 8 times in the AHL. That's not really close to NHL-ready. Wouldn't want to be stuck with him and Sustr on the right side, or making desperate offers at UFAs, or overpaying for a trade. Coburn buys us time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad