Why did Kirk Muller get traded to the New York Islanders in 1994-95?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Did Schneider earn a reputation as a cancer elsewhere besides Montreal? The only confirmed story I know about the feud between him and Roy was from the 94-95 season where Roy did a sarcastic motivational speech between periods, saying the whole team was playing great... except for Schneider, which naturally triggered a brawl. If anything Ive always considered that a huge black mark against Roy for acting like a giant child & tearing the dressing room apart.

necroing for this anecdote, this time about mathieu schneider’s big mouth—

Another great story from the Kes and Juice podcast - Darcy Hordichuk told it; do yourselves a favour and listen as he is hysterical, especially with the voices he gives everyone.

Canucks started the 2009/2010 season a bit lackluster. After a bad game and before their practice, Vigneault went around the room telling guys "under achieving, under achieving, over achieving, under achieving" making his way around until he pointed at everyone and let them know how he thought they were doing. When he was done, Mathieu Schneider piped up (and Hordichuk's voice for him is hilarious) "What about you, Alain?".

For the whole practice, Hordichuk was assigned to forecheck, with the explicit instructions being to forecheck the hell out of Schneider. The three of them had a good laugh at the memory.

i listened to that podcast and believe me it’s funnier out of hordichuk’s mouth

i love imagining vigneault laughing to himself as he assigns his team’s goon to hit schneider over and over until the poor guy retires

gcWEj8n4SySPmG6x_DwgqBFmcF78M2NdzMJ14jjTiNs0TnIsoQGW66D7j06wltC6QtX-6OkWm24cjukyi1WTM-PAkv3qeG1wArB0SQWSObxigwJT51amrwGGQYhAV4SfwGL4x9scSNx2eW_tPtE2UQd3TVWWtEqINlNQooTndN68UMiFow_GVKaL7cBRIftJ9qfFi8DCGGLdx8GwaoQaGW4adgYzC3rx5Yiai7MxPKhOvZyhdv6q5acbyfQKAmH5iSvaljl-Cv2vqIB5K-QMV-K2V0SJlcQbZfBUexmvMJAyeW9gXpUYxNYF1VUuTPk

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
As a kid, I was sad when muller was traded. The only time I was sadder was when roy left.

Muller meant alot to those habs teams, but I want to focus in on malakhov who was part of the deal.

The guys was gigantic. He was like 6'6, and built like a tank. When the mood struck him, he was a graceful player that moved the puck with ease. He also had the ability to demolish players physically, and could run a powerplay.

For me, he might go down as the most wasted talent I've ever seen in a Habs uniform. He really had the stuff to be an elite dman.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
As a kid, I was sad when muller was traded. The only time I was sadder was when roy left.

Muller meant alot to those habs teams, but I want to focus in on malakhov who was part of the deal.

The guys was gigantic. He was like 6'6, and built like a tank. When the mood struck him, he was a graceful player that moved the puck with ease. He also had the ability to demolish players physically, and could run a powerplay.

For me, he might go down as the most wasted talent I've ever seen in a Habs uniform. He really had the stuff to be an elite dman.

he was basically defenceman kovalev, only him being on was much fewer and farther between. that said, like kovalev, i think he maybe looked like he could have been better than he really could have ever been. malakhov had all the tools, but a guy who skated like that, was that big and strong, and could shoot the puck like a cannon still has to be smart enough to read neutral zone when he moves the puck, how to manage his own end of the ice, and on the PP when and how to pinch, find the open man, find open ice, and let it rip. i.e., what separates a macinnis from an iafrate. i don't think malakhov had a macinnis brain.

i might be mixing up my stories but he was the guy who they caught going snowboarding while on IR right?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Devils trotted out their 2000 Cup team this past weekend, but Malakhov was among the handful of guys who didn't attend. He didn't put up eye popping numbers during that run, but he was such a luxury to have as a 3rd pairing defenseman. I didn't know much about Malakhov at the time, but I was astounded when Scott Niedermayer would routinely give Malakhov the puck to rush up the ice when they were on the 2nd PP unit together. Like you said, Malakhov had all the tools you'd want and we were lucky that he was motivated for that three month stretch (perhaps not coincidentally he was an impending free agent).

For me, the difference between the 2000 Devils who won the Cup and the 2001 Devils who fell a game short was Malakhov shoring up the 3rd pairing.
i might be mixing up my stories but he was the guy who they caught going snowboarding while on IR right?

Yup, that was the main thing I knew about Malakhov that season.

Canadiens' Malakhov skis his way into a suspension

The feud between Vladimir Malakhov and Montreal Canadiens head coach Alain Vigneault exploded into the open yesterday with the revelation that the injured defenceman had gone skiing.

Malakhov, who hasn't played a game this season because of a torn knee ligament, was spotted at the Mont-Tremblant ski area north of Montreal last weekend during the National Hockey League all-star break.

The Canadiens suspended his pay retroactive to Feb. 5.

Malakhov practised with the team yesterday and may play his first game of the season tonight against the Ottawa Senators.

Vigneault has been reluctant to make his doubts about Malakhov public until now. The pair have sparred off over issues such as commitment to the team and the seriousness of injuries.

Vigneault made it clear yesterday that he wants Malakhov traded and said as much to general manager Réjean Houle, who is scouting players in Europe. "I told Réjean about my feelings," Vigneault said.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
he was basically defenceman kovalev, only him being on was much fewer and farther between. that said, like kovalev, i think he maybe looked like he could have been better than he really could have ever been. malakhov had all the tools, but a guy who skated like that, was that big and strong, and could shoot the puck like a cannon still has to be smart enough to read neutral zone when he moves the puck, how to manage his own end of the ice, and on the PP when and how to pinch, find the open man, find open ice, and let it rip. i.e., what separates a macinnis from an iafrate. i don't think malakhov had a macinnis brain.

I think he was found skiing with his son, but on the bunny slopes. My memory is a bit fuzzy though. He's also one of the guys habs fans targeted with their boos, and he raised his hands ala Patrick roy during his shift.

I think he still holds a grudge with Habs fans to this day. I think he said something to the effect that habs fans are not that educated as they get credit for. He was a different personality, it seems.

The thing is, I think he did have a brain. He just often seemed like a guy who would mentally check out by choice, but when he was engaged, I found him to be a huge force.

At least with kovalev, he did have the odd season where he was one of the better producers in the league. I dont think malakhov ever got there.

Last edited:
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The thing is, I think he did have a brain. He just often seemed like a guy who would mentally check out by choice, but when he was engaged, I found him to be a huge force.

At least with kovalev, he did have the odd season where he was one of the better producers in the league. I dont think malakhov ever got there.

i agree that malakhov had a brain. he played for the red army, so he knew his way around a rink. i just said he didn't have a macinnis brain, which is a 99th percentile brain. malakhov was definitely smarter than, say, kevin hatcher.

in the same way, kovalev had a brain, but he didn't have a mogilny brain.

agree also that both guys also had problems being dialed in. but i think my point was just that both guys had every tool, but neither had the elite vision that could have made them superduperstars. with malakhov specifically, i thought if he had ozolinsh's hockey sense on the offensive side that would have been something special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad