Why did Bossy break down so quickly?

mooseOAK*

You go right ahead with the baseless character assassination and innuendo.

Speaks nothing of Mike Bossy.

Speaks volumes of you.

Darth was correct. I was too diplomatic first time around. :shakehead

Saying that a guy may have quit playing because he just wasn't into it any more would hardly stand up in court as a character assassination.

War Admiral

Mar 24, 2006
Long Island
It's not sacreligious. But it is baseless.

The guy could not bend over at the waist on skates by the time his career was finished.

One recalls the spring of '87, Isles v. Caps playoff series. Bossy is checked in offensive corner, play moves up the opposite direction and #22 is on his knees, unable to lift himself up.

Just me, but I never judge the threshold of a man's pain that I am unable to experience myself.

As for the "protection" issue: In Bossy's rookie year, Denis Polonich, Wings instigator, jumped Bossy at the start of the game at Olympic arena. Clark Gillies proceeded to destroy the much smaller Polonich, as well as multiple teammates of his that evening. Fast forward a couple of years. Ed Hospodar of NYR crosschecks Bossy. Mike scores on the ensuring PP and skates toward the penalty box where Hospodar is exiting and talks smack. But retribution against Hospodar does not end there. Next season, Gillies gets a hold of Hospodar...and proceeds to break his jaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0_3oosIHZY

Memories run long in the NHL. ;)

Point being, the NHL of those times was such that if you were dirty with the other team's top players, you were going to pay. That said, officiating, generally speaking, allowed more contact (both legal and illegal) in the high traffic areas, compared to today.

Not saying it was a tougher, or more physical game, but you certainly could get away with more and longer.

Hence, Bossy paid the price.

Oh...this brings back such great memories. I remember seeing this fight with my father. Jethro beating the living snot out of Hospodar on The Garden ice. Simply priceless.

Oh what I would do...to have #9 back in an Islander jersey.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Medical Advances

i don't profess to be a medical expert but someone with back problems as debilitating as I am being told can not spend their retirement golfing as Mike Bossy has with back injuries the number one health problem with that sport.

Totally overlooking the advances in medical technology over the last 20+ years, combined with the fact that when someone is playing golf no other participant is taking a run at him every shift.

Mike Bossy's back was still bothering him a few years ago.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/spot_oneononep199101.htm

Readers should also distinguish between back injuries that are general and specific injuries such as herniated disks, vertebrae damage,etc that are near or at the spinal column.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
From hockeydraftcentral.com

This source pretty clearly indicates that Bossy was determined to continue playing in the NHL until a point 18 months after he played his final NHL game. To claim that he made no efforts to recover and was willing to 'quietly retire' is an utterly false claim.

The more interesting question would be how much Bossy's lifestyle contributed to his short career. He was a chainsmoker throughout his career, and in photos taken when he was in his late 40s he looked like he was pushing 70.

He admitted that smoking took a toll on him in his book. Unfortunately, in his era, is was not uncommon for athletes to smoke.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Totally overlooking the advances in medical technology over the last 20+ years, combined with the fact that when someone is playing golf no other participant is taking a run at him every shift.

Mike Bossy's back was still bothering him a few years ago.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/spot_oneononep199101.htm

Readers should also distinguish between back injuries that are general and specific injuries such as herniated disks, vertebrae damage,etc that are near or at the spinal column.

As I think I mentioned, I worked on a chronic pain unit in the VA hospital system. We had several patients who had lower back pain that played golf regularly. Its a sport with very little impact. Some of them did have trouble hunching over and bending down to get the ball, and I had a few guys who couldn't carry the bag or sit in a golf cart too long. But, many very serious back problems still allow for some level of activity.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Some back injuries are serious enough end careers prematurely.

Darcy Rota is a player who had his career end in similar fashion to Bossy. Was an All-Star in '83 and having another great season in '83-84 before suffering a major neck injury from a hard check. He returned for the playoffs, but then retired because he was told he risked paralysis if he continued playing.

Eric Daze is another guy whose career ended at a very young age due to back problems. Mike Ridley is another. Gary Roberts was physically done at 30 but made a miraculous recovery after 2 years off.

I remember Rota getting hurt right in what looked like a breakthrough season. If I recall correctly (and I admit that I am too lazy to look it up) he was a guy who would usually get about 40 points a year. And, then suddenly his game took a step forward and he was on a 40 goal pace. Sadly, he then suffered a career ending injury.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I remember Rota getting hurt right in what looked like a breakthrough season. If I recall correctly (and I admit that I am too lazy to look it up) he was a guy who would usually get about 40 points a year. And, then suddenly his game took a step forward and he was on a 40 goal pace. Sadly, he then suffered a career ending injury.

Sad yes, and all too typical of the Canucks' luck in the 80's.
The Rota-Gradin-Smyl line was one of the best they ever had.

Rota might have been able to come back from his injury, but the next season Canucks hired career Jr. coach Bill LaForge (who lasted something like 16 games), and during a preseason body-checking drill called "The Gauntlet", Rota reinjured his neck and his career was done.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
Back problems aren't uncommon among hockey players over 30 who have played a lot of games and a lot of players work through them so it isn't baseless at all. Players have surgery on their back and return to play so without knowing the specifics that option is still out there.

I never saw Bossy play so I won't comment on what he looked like at the end of his career but remember, Bossy played in the NHL from '77-'78 to '86-'87 and medicine has advanced quite a bit from then until today so what is possible now was not necessarily possible then- however I don't know what was wrong with Bossy's back.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...Bossy was a rather frail guy. Tall (above-average for his era..?) but frail.

sidewayzLEAFS

Jul 18, 2009
ontario, canada
bossy was the best pure goal scorer ever to play if you ask me, just look at the stats...
but guys like orr and bossy took risks with their bodies to win games and therfore their short careers will be fondly remembered as they gave it everything they had every night
also, it seems like great players like orr and bossy were somehow destined to get hurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad