Why could Brady Murray to play of the U.S when he is Canadian ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

Mobey said:
Some of you guys are letting your pride for your country blind your sense of reality.

I don't see how you can fault a kid for wanting to have an experience of a lifetime. This tournament will be a great experience for him, whether or not he's in the red and white, or the red, white, and blue.

Don't lay into the kid, that's not fair. He's not a traitor. He's a dual citizen, and has played just as much of his hockey in the States.

Brady deserves the opportunity to participate in this tournament, and he obviously wants to take part in it, so he took a guaranteed roster spot. Can't fault that.

The problem is that he developped into a premier young hockey player in Canada. His dad has served Hockey Canada successfully on numerous occasions. His dad owns Salmon Arm and guaranteed Brady his spot there. His dad's NHL team drafted him. His dad pulled strings to get him to the summer evaluation camp for Team Canada. And Brady says no because he isn't guaranteed a spot on Team Canada? Talk about turning your back on not only your country, but your own father.

And honestly, Brady is good, and I believe Brady would have made Team Canada.

Brady's mother might be American, but his time in Salmon Arm turned him into the premier hockey player he is today.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Van said:
The problem is that he developped into a premier young hockey player in Canada. His dad has served Hockey Canada successfully on numerous occasions. His dad owns Salmon Arm and guaranteed Brady his spot there. His dad's NHL team drafted him. His dad pulled strings to get him to the summer evaluation camp for Team Canada. And Brady says no because he isn't guaranteed a spot on Team Canada? Talk about turning your back on not only your country, but your own father.

And honestly, Brady is good, and I believe Brady would have made Team Canada.

Brady's mother might be American, but his time in Salmon Arm turned him into the premier hockey player he is today.

Some of your points are moot.

What his dad did for him should have nothing to do with it. I'm sure he talked to his dad about his decision and got the go-ahead. His dad did what he did for his son because he's a dad, not because he's Canadian. That's like saying, "His dad got him into all the best private schools, got him into his alma-mater, and got him an internship at his company, but his son took a job with another company after graduation...what a traitor!"

Brady may have made Team Canada, but maybe he didn't want to take the chance? This kid's passion for hockey should be admired, and he deserves to play in the tournament, regardless of the team he represents.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Brady developed into a premier player in Minnesota and at North Dakota.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Legionnaire said:
Hmm. Maybe now that Murray is going to play for team USA, the Kings will allow Dustin Brown to play as well. ;)

The interesting thing is that Parise and Brown seemed to be developing some chemistry towards the end of last years WJC's. The only thing that was up in the air in my mind was who would play LW. I suppose the fact that Murray has played on Parise's LW since they were at Shattucks means he's the perfect fit. :)

Murray-Parise-Brown

BCCHL inactive

Mobey said:
What his dad did for him should have nothing to do with it. I'm sure he talked to his dad about his decision and got the go-ahead. His dad did what he did for his son because he's a dad, not because he's Canadian. That's like saying, "His dad got him into all the best private schools, got him into his alma-mater, and got him an internship at his company, but his son took a job with another company after graduation...what a traitor!"

While you use this analogy sarcastically....I agree with it. His dad got Murray into every successful hockey venture he has gotten into. Yes, he is turning his back on his father and his country.

Brady has decided to not challenge himself by taking the easy road into the tournament.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
From the Globe and Mail:

"He has played four years of minor hockey in Canada as well as one season of high-school hockey in Salmon Arm, B.C. His eight other hockey seasons have been spent in the United States."

For those who think it is terrible that someone who grew up in Canada and became an elite player in Canada would play for the US, that doesn't seem to be the case here. He's a dual citizen, he spent more of his youth in the US, and he developed more as a hockey player there (his key development years were spent at Shattuck).

Based on what I read this summer, it seemed that he wanted to play for Canada if he could, hence his summer camp participation. Then (again from the Globe and Mail) ...

[Andy Murray said] "I called Hockey Canada two weeks ago on his behalf and received very little feedback. We just wanted to see what his chances were of being named to the [selection] camp roster."

He basically was in a very uncertain position with Team Canada and needed to choose between a chance at making Team Canada and a certainty of making the US team. He made his choice, and it's hard to say what anyone else would have done, given the same history.

I think people should get off the kid's back.

PS This idea that he has accomplished what he has because his father put him there is laughable. He lit up the BCHL because he's a great player. The Salmon Arm Silverbacks were the beneficiary of the Andy Murray connection, not Brady. Also, if he was only invited to the summer camp as a favor to AM, then he must have looked very out of place there; his absence from Team Canada shouldn't bother anyone then.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
jake1 said:
From the Globe and Mail:

"He has played four years of minor hockey in Canada as well as one season of high-school hockey in Salmon Arm, B.C. His eight other hockey seasons have been spent in the United States."

For those who think it is terrible that someone who grew up in Canada and became an elite player in Canada would play for the US, that doesn't seem to be the case here. He's a dual citizen, he spent more of his youth in the US, and he developed more as a hockey player there (his key development years were spent at Shattuck).

Based on what I read this summer, it seemed that he wanted to play for Canada if he could, hence his summer camp participation. Then (again from the Globe and Mail) ...

[Andy Murray said] "I called Hockey Canada two weeks ago on his behalf and received very little feedback. We just wanted to see what his chances were of being named to the [selection] camp roster."

He basically was in a very uncertain position with Team Canada and needed to choose between a chance at making Team Canada and a certainty of making the US team. He made his choice, and it's hard to say what anyone else would have done, given the same history.

I think people should get off the kid's back.

PS This idea that he has accomplished what he has because his father put him there is laughable. He lit up the BCHL because he's a great player. The Salmon Arm Silverbacks were the beneficiary of the Andy Murray connection, not Brady. Also, if he was only invited to the summer camp as a favor to AM, then he must have looked very out of place there; his absence from Team Canada shouldn't bother anyone then.

Good points. I don't see what the big deal is. He is a dual citizen, and has spent much of his life in the U.S., attending American institutions that have played a pivitol part in his development as a hockey player. He has the right to choose who he wants to play for, and as an added bonus, he gets to play with his buddies Parise and Pat Eaves. Besides, is it going to hurt Canada's chances if Murray isn't on their roster?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Habs4Life said:
Just goes to show how someone from canada can betray their country without flinching (IE: Brett Hull)

If betrayal means you are cut by one national team and decide to play for one who not only wants you, but you are eligible to play for, than yeah, that's betrayal. :shakehead

Fire Bobby Clarke

Just goes to show how someone from canada can betray their country without flinching (IE: Brett Hull)

For all you Hull bashers saying Brett is not a true Canadian or whatever...When he was younger Team Canada never invited him to tryouts for Canada Cup teams ect...So why not play for the US if you are a citizen...he has always had the talent to be a player on Canadian natioanl teams but was never recognized...You can't blame him for wanting to play competitive hockey and further his career.

KariyaIsGod*

Mobey said:
Some of you guys are letting your pride for your country blind your sense of reality.

I don't see how you can fault a kid for wanting to have an experience of a lifetime. This tournament will be a great experience for him, whether or not he's in the red and white, or the red, white, and blue.

Don't lay into the kid, that's not fair. He's not a traitor. He's a dual citizen, and has played just as much of his hockey in the States.

Brady deserves the opportunity to participate in this tournament, and he obviously wants to take part in it, so he took a guaranteed roster spot. Can't fault that.

Yes you can. He's taking the easy way out. That's not the right way to do things. :teach:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
KariyaIsGod said:
Yes you can. He's taking the easy way out. That's not the right way to do things. :teach:

So I guess you are down on say Matt Nickerson backing away from Michigan to play at Clarkson where he is seeing a lot more ice time as a Freshman, right?

Murray is making a decision based on what's best for his development as a hockey player.

He is much better off playing for the US as he's all but guaranteed a spot on the roster and he'll likely play a bigger role on the US squad because of his experience playing with Parise at UND.

I have a feeling that a lot of people would have a different opinion if the shoe were on the other foot and a player was bypassing playing for the US to play for Canada because of depth issues and questions about whether he'd make the squad.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
evman150 said:
I guess if you can swallow sleeping with the ENEMY then that's your choice. I sure as hell couldn't do it. Much too proud, I guess.

It is too bad that many Canadians hate/don't like the US. The vast majority of Americans bear no ill-will to Canadians, too bad the feeling isn't mutual.

I may read to much into this post and some of the others made here, but based on the tone I don't think so.

This kid has been offered a chance to play at in the worlds. Doesn't matter who it is for, but one shouldn't bag on him because he chose the route he did. Something about "A bird in hand vs. those in a bush."

BCCHL inactive

Jim Bob said:
Murray is making a decision based on what's best for his development as a hockey player.

How is it better for his development? He is taking a free spot on one team instead of trying out for a spot with another team.

Let me put it this way, if Team USA actually held tryouts, I would respect Brady Murray. However, USA Hockey is simply handing out roster spots without forcing the players to challenge themselves.

Brady Murray is taking the easy road into the World U20 Championships. That just doesn't impress me.

KariyaIsGod*

It is too bad that many Canadians hate/don't like the US. The vast majority of Americans bear no ill-will to Canadians, too bad the feeling isn't mutual.

Please...

Most Canadians feel that wya because many times they are either snubbed the US government or looked down upon by a numbe rof their citizens.

In both cases though, these people are minorities.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Van said:
How is it better for his development? He is taking a free spot on one team instead of trying out for a spot with another team.

Let me put it this way, if Team USA actually held tryouts, I would respect Brady Murray. However, USA Hockey is simply handing out roster spots without forcing the players to challenge themselves.

Brady Murray is taking the easy road into the World U20 Championships. That just doesn't impress me.

Although Brady Murray wasn't present, there was an official evaluation camp held over the summer in Lake Placid. What is clearly in Murray's favor is the fact he's played great as a freshman at ND, is playing with Parise, and has a history with Eaves. That is going to be one hell of a line.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
This is very good news for the U.S. as it gives them a quality scoring threat to replace either Brown or Fritche. I am very surprised that Canada did not make a bigger push in attempting to land Murray. Canada has lost alot of top talent to the NHL and a player like Murray is idealy suited to the international game. Canada has been making grave mistakes in the past five or six years in terms of picking the right players. Murray really wanted to play for Canada (he even snubbed the U.S. summer evaluation camp and for those who don't know, yes he was invited to Lake Placid but wanted to play for Canada instead) and Hockey Canada has really dropped the ball with this one.

If the games were to be held in Canada and were to be played using the red line than I would have to say that Murray would have a difficult road in making the team but the International game has now changed. The games are held on Olympic ice sheets and have no redline. This really suits the small speedy forward, such as a Brady Murray.

Canada needs to understand this new reality and I suspect that losing Murray will really haunt Canada in this upcoming tournament.

BCCHL inactive

VOB said:
I am very surprised that Canada did not make a bigger push in attempting to land Murray.

Hockey Canada did for Murray what they did for everybody else. He was invited, and attended the summer camp, and they invited him to the December Evaluation Camp. Why should Hockey Canada guarantee Brady Murray a spot on their team simply because USA Hockey is willing to name a team without tryouts?

evman150*

Frenzy1 said:

That is not what I mean.

"Sleeping with the enemy" is merely a figure of speech, and does not imply that I hate the US nor that the US is our enemy anywhere other than on the ice.

BCCHL inactive

Now I have more of a problem with Murray's decision.

First of all, I disagree with being allowed to represent a nation based on residency. If he doesn't have American citizenship, he should not be allowed to represent the USA.

Secondly, if this is just about "playing at a Christmas Tournament", then Brady is more immature than the average 19 year-old. I'm not so sure he has taken enough time to think about whether or not he wants to flush the chances of him ever representing Canada again down the crapper.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Van said:

First of all, I disagree with being allowed to represent a nation based on residency. If he doesn't have American citizenship, he should not be allowed to represent the USA.

Secondly, if this is just about "playing at a Christmas Tournament", then Brady is more immature than the average 19 year-old. I'm not so sure he has taken enough time to think about whether or not he wants to flush the chances of him ever representing Canada again down the crapper.

Did you complain when Petr Nedved played for Team Canada in the past?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Van said:

It is better for his development because:

A) He'll get to spend more time playing at North Dakota.

B) He's guaranteed a spot on the US team so there is no chance that he won't be at the WJCs, barring injury of course.

C) He'll likely get more ice time and a bigger role with the US squad given his playing with Parise this year and Eaves in the past.

Other than a tryout camp in the middle of his college's season, what does going the Team Canada route give Murray that going the US route doesn't?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
``This was a situation where Brady had an opportunity to go to a Christmas tournament, is what I'm calling it, and it's just like a 10-year-old kid or a 12-year-old kid,'' he said. ``He wanted to be playing in a Christmas tournament and not sitting at home. What do you do as a parent? Your boy wants to play in the tournament.

``I could tell him to say `No' to the U.S. and push it on myself because I've always been involved in the (Canadian) programs and then I could have my son sitting home at Christmas and looking at me saying `I wish I was over there.'

``I took my fatherly responsibilities ahead of anything else.''

Brady said he and his father had talked at length about his decision.

``In the past week, that's all me and my dad really talked about,'' he said. ``Watching my dad in my past at the Olympics and the world championships for Team Canada, I wanted to play for Team Canada in the past.

``But when it came down to the decision, it wasn't really that hard for me because I'm actually more familiar with U.S. hockey. I know a few guys on the U.S. team. On Canada, I really don't know any. I don't think I'm going to regret my decision.''

If Andy Murray is OK with it, then I don't see what the big deal is.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Van said:

I think he does have citizenship. It's based on his years of residency. USA Hockey wouldn't have approached him if that wasn't the case. As for representing Canada, well, suiting up for the U.S. isn't a bad option is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad